What's the best way to protect your books?

Zero In

Oct 11, 1999
I have books that I treasure. Most of them are paperback though. I'm having a real difficulty on deciding how best to wrap the book. I wouldn't want cellotape marks on the books later on. I also wouldn't want those self-adhesive types cause if you want to change it, say if it gets stained, it would be impossible to do so.

So, any suggestions?

Zero In

Oct 11, 1999
Now, how the heck are you supposed to put a book into a laminating machine. and besides, if the cover gets stained, you can't change it!

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
actually i keep my small paperback book in a ziplock bag when its in my back pack so it doesn't get destroyed, and just take it out of the bag during times when i read it.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Eh, your books are screwed anyways. The pages will slowly turn yellow and get brittle. It's the acid in the paper, it's what manufacturers add to make it cheaper to make. Libraries are already having this problem. It's sad when books printed a hundred years ago are in better condition than books printed 10 years ago.

Zero In

Oct 11, 1999
What's a ziplock bag?

And I thought that if you make sure you dust the books regularly and that if you keep them away from humidity and sunlight, it won't turn yellow?

And isn't vacuuming a very expensive process?

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Short of not using them....

You can always use a bookcover and store it in a controlled envoriment.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Zero In
What's a ziplock bag?

And I thought that if you make sure you dust the books regularly and that if you keep them away from humidity and sunlight, it won't turn yellow?

And isn't vacuuming a very expensive process?

you can get vacuums for about 60 bucks that will do the job very well... just keep them vacuum sealed whenever your not reading them...

NewSc2

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: ed21x
actually i keep my small paperback book in a ziplock bag when its in my back pack so it doesn't get destroyed, and just take it out of the bag during times when i read it.

you know, i'm picturing that right now, and sorry to say that just looks really nerdy ;):D