What's the best way to get rid of nasty shoe-funk odors?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Seriously, what should I do? Ever since I soaked my sneakers at a water park, they been really stinky. What works best...Odor Eaters inserts? Some sort of foot powders? I know ATOTers have stinky feet too..whaddya use?

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
If all else fails, you could try kitty litter :D

Febreeze sucks. Used it in my car after some construction adhesive leaked (nauseating smell even when dry). Tried Febreeze. The nauseating construction adhesive smell became a nauseating sweet-smelling construction adhesive smell. Eventually solved the problem by driving on the interstate for an hour or two with the windows down.

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
If it's that "wet shoe" odor rather than foot stench, I soaked mine in OxyClean and then washed them.

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
Originally posted by: spp
but most shoes are not washable i thought

Really? Hmmm.... I suppose you don't have to put them in the machine, but if you soak and rinse them and put them OUTSIDE in the sun to dry, it will probably be ok. My Adidas survived. It sounds like uncJIGGA's were already soaked at the water park, so morte water won't hurt.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
A few cycles of freeze (plastic bag in the freezer) defrost, freeze, defrost.... will kill off a lot of the offending bacteria. Keep good shoe hygiene.... wear natural fiber socks change them a couple of times a day if necessary. Never wear your shoes barefoot. Get good shoes that breathe.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Wash them (washing machine with some OxyClean and detergent) and let them air dry completely outside then maybe spray a little FeBreeze on the inside and outside.