What's the best way to clean a monitor with an anti-glare screen?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I bought a big 21" Dell flat-screen CRT yesterday. It has an anti-glare coating on it, and has a few smudges and fingerprints on the screen. I used the end of my shirt to rub a small bit of it off and that seemed to work, but I don't want to damage it. Is there a special cleaner or a special way to clean the screen off?

Also, there's what appears to be a small scratch in the anti-glare coating, about the since of a pencil tip. It glows brighter than the background, like more light is leaking through. Is there any way to fix that, or do I just have to live with it?

Shivatron

Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by: theslug
Kensington develops a cleaner for anti-glare screens, usually Office Depot has it.

linkage

I've used this stuff for a long time. It's not bad, you just have to watch that it doesn't leave streaks. Better than water (or heaven forbid, Windex!) IMHO.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Microfiber cloths work wonders, will remove fingerprints dry. Available from any optician.

8ballcoupe

Jan 27, 2004
Also, there's what appears to be a small scratch in the anti-glare coating, about the since of a pencil tip. It glows brighter than the background, like more light is leaking through. Is there any way to fix that, or do I just have to live with it?

Can you look at this scratch from several angles so that parallax can help you determine whether this really is on the surface of the glass or within it or in the phosphors? This sounds as though it might be a flaw in the glass itself. Sometimes these flaws refract the light like a prism, causing a bright point on the screen. If it's very noticeable it's a serious enough sample defect to warrant returning the equipment for another example. That depends on just how much you think it will bother you. I'd suggest looking closely at it to see if you can pin down the depth of the flaw, and then talking with Dell about it. You may as well get your money's worth.

Ernie

Bucksnort

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Recommended cleaning consists of a soft 100% cotton ie a good soft t shirt. Lightly rub with it, if it requires more then slightly wet a part of the t shirt with clean tap water. For the money you spent on that monitor I would return it. If it had finger prints on it and the scratch when you got it its obviously a returnd monitor. Dont let Dell screw you.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I concur with CallMeJoe. Microfiber cloth, widely available at opticians and photographic shoppes, is ze best. Add distilled water as required or low-mineral water in a pinch.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: 8ballcoupe

Can you look at this scratch from several angles so that parallax can help you determine whether this really is on the surface of the glass or within it or in the phosphors? This sounds as though it might be a flaw in the glass itself. Sometimes these flaws refract the light like a prism, causing a bright point on the screen. If it's very noticeable it's a serious enough sample defect to warrant returning the equipment for another example. That depends on just how much you think it will bother you. I'd suggest looking closely at it to see if you can pin down the depth of the flaw, and then talking with Dell about it. You may as well get your money's worth.

Ernie

I got the monitor used, and the "scratch" isn't that big of a deal to me...it'd be nice if I could fix it, but if not, no biggie.

It looks like there's the computer screen, then a piece of glass in front of that screen. It looks like the scratch is on the piece of glass in front of the screen.

8ballcoupe

Jan 27, 2004
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize the situation. Yeah, sounds like it's something you're stuck with -- unless you're more talented than I am. If I tried to fix something like that I'd just make it worse. A LOT worse. ;)

Good luck with the new monitor. I imagine you'll wind up forgetting about that minor flaw within a few days so that you won't even notice it any more.

Ernie

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: 8ballcoupe
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize the situation. Yeah, sounds like it's something you're stuck with -- unless you're more talented than I am. If I tried to fix something like that I'd just make it worse. A LOT worse. ;)

Good luck with the new monitor. I imagine you'll wind up forgetting about that minor flaw within a few days so that you won't even notice it any more.

Ernie

yeah, ditto - I'd probably make it worse lol. It's pretty smaller and it's in the lower right-hand corner, so its no big deal. I got the monitor for $100 locally, and overall I'm quite pleased with it :)