Whats the best Watercooling setup? **COMPLETE PACKAGE**

GrimReefer

Banned
Nov 11, 2000
I want to get into watercooling but dont want to have to buy everything seperately. I want one big package. I dont need a new case (aka Koolance) I just want a complete watercooling setup, and maybe one that includes a chipset/vid card cooler as well, but thats optional.

Anyone know of any good packages?

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
Koolance is coming out with the Exos? very soon. It looks interesting, and can be used with any case.

Other than that, I personally pick and install my own quality components to fit whichever case I use.

GrimReefer

Banned
Nov 11, 2000
Whoah damn! Thanks dude, that should be enough :D

What is Exos? Is that a complete water cooling kit?

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
What is Exos? Is that a complete water cooling kit?
Click the above link... It seem that it has everything except the blocks.
Bring powerful liquid cooling technology to an existing computer! The Exos? is the world's first self-contained PC liquid cooling system. Koolance maintains its reputation for professional products by simplifying installation-- there is no need for special tools or case modifications. Utilizing a patent-pending design, the Exos? connects to any PC through a standard rear card slot.

GrimReefer

Banned
Nov 11, 2000
damn, no release date yet.... I think Ill just hold off until the Exos comes out. Will its performance be up to par with a major $250 internal water cooling rig?

Dug

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2000
If you want the best then you will order seperately and save yourself some money.

It also depends on if you are going to use this for AMD or Intel, and if you are going inline or not.

I would stay away from two things- Koolance and Koolance. Koolance is a POS. Their radiators don't get the job done. In fact most don't. Especially the one PhoenixOfWater linked to. The best you can get at a reasonable size is from D-tek. With a shroud and 120mm fan, nothing beats it.

For a water block get a Maze3 or Swiftech with 1/2in fittings. In fact make sure everything in your system is 1/2 in.

For the pump get Eheim or Via Aqua.

ALWAYS PUT IN A LITTLE WATTER WETTER OR PURPLE ICE into your water to keep things from corroding.

Get whatever tubing you want. Some people are fanatical about this, but as long as the water goes through it and it doesn't kink your good to go. Get some hose clamps, a 1/2in T fitting, and distilled water, and that's all you need.

My recommendation is from personal experience and lots of testing. Not to mention lots of recommendations from other people.

GrimReefer

Banned
Nov 11, 2000
Dug, you're the man

Wheres the best place to get all this stuff from?

edit: using AMD by the way

edit #2: hows this setup look:

Kit includes:
-One 120mm radiator
-One 120mm fan
-One 120 fan guard
-Mounting hardware Included
-One 3 to 4 pin Molex power adaptor
-One EHEIM 1046 water pump moving 79 GPH (Gallons Per Hour)
-One Innovatek aluminum tank for EHEIM water pumps with compression fitting (tank is optional)
-Ten feet of 8mm (3/8"OD) PVC tubing
-One brass fitting and One compression fitting for the pressure-side of the EHEIM pump. (CAUTION: Do not overtighten the brass fitting.)

Fan Specs:
-Manufacturer: YS Tech
-Fan Speed: 2200 RPM
-Air Movement: 92 CFM
-Noise Level: 39 dBA
-Power: 3.48 Watts

120mm Radiator Specs:
-5 3/4" x 4" x 4 3/4"
-10mm copper water pipes for maximum water cooling.
-Highest quality fittings for virtually no leaks.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
I heard good reviews about innovatek, only thing is they are expensive for just a cpu cooling solution, everything else is an addon

GrimReefer

Banned
Nov 11, 2000
Im getting too many conflicting viewpoints, is Innovatek a pile of crap? Dug says one thing, then someone else comes in and says something completely opposite. Help me out people, dont confuse me! :eek:

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
Im getting too many conflicting viewpoints, is Innovatek a pile of crap? Dug says one thing, then someone else comes in and says something completely opposite. Help me out people, dont confuse me!
What are your cooling goals? Are you going to OC the hell out of your processor at raised voltage, or a moderate OC? If you want very good cooling......

What kind of case are you working with? If it would have room for a heater core type radiator, shroud, and 120mm fan... that would give you the best waterflow and air intake. If you do not have a 120mm hole already in your case, one would have to be cut somewhere. Are you willing to do it if needed? It will also need to exhaust well.

Some may disagree with me, but the higher the waterflow the better. I have 4 home built watercooled rigs right here (not to mention a customized Koolance) with Black Ice standard and Xtreme radiators, 1 heatercore, and 1 cube radiator. I have Maze 2 waterblocks, custom waterblocks, a Spri@l, etc... 2 1140 GPH Quiet one pumps, a 500 GPH Danner, and a Eheim 317 GPH .

So, if you want a suggestion, I would suggest either the Eheim 317 GPH or Danner 500 GPH Pump and Spri@l waterblock for you. Use 1/2" fittings. As Dug said, as long as the tubing is decent and does not crimp much, just pick some up at the hardware store. You really don't need the expensive tubing. Get the most quiet, highest CFM fan that you can find.

Think about what you want to do, the case that you have to work with, and plan where and how everything will be located when installed. Then place the order for your pump, waterblock, radiator, and accessories.

If you can't fit a heater core type radiator in your case, the Black Ice Xtreme does a good job. I am currently running a test rig with a P4 1.8A OC'ed to 3.0GHz with just an original Black Ice.

If you are looking for something that may cool well enough for a moderate OC, and is pretty much hassle free, I would wait fot the results on the EXOS that I linked above. The latest model Koolance Cases are not really that bad. I think that the EXOS may surprise people. Just have to wait and see. ;)

EDIT: The Spri@l waterblock and other quality stuffs can be found Here

There is also Danger Den, and Cooltechnica.

EDIT: Check This link out also. Plenty of good info. Also Here.

ErikaeanLogic

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2000
ditto on what Technonut said:)

I'm running a ViaAqua pump, Spir@l block, radiator/shroud, and Tygon (because it's clear;)) setup which I purchased from D-Tek and I am seriously pleased with the results:D! Plus, Danny over at D-Tek is a standup guy; he'll stand behind all of his products and answer all your questions. What could be better than that?

Nuthin':)

MrThompson

Jun 24, 2001

Danger Den has been mentioned. Swiftech also provides a fantastic kit. Their Quiet Power deserves mention too. Having used products from both companies, I highly recommend them. Quality with superb service.

ErikaeanLogic

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2000
Grimreefer: an inline kit tends to have the water flow like this:

->pump->radiator->block->pump

with some sort of fill-line in the water circuit, and has no reservoir. What this means is that you'll have to initially ensure that all of the bubbles are out of the line/radiator prior to formal implementation (read: you have to run the inline system for a few hours before you install it into the computer) or your cooling levels will be crappy; air is the enemy;).

The primary advantage of a reservoir is that it greatly reduces bubbles in the water circuit. Many reservoir systems (such as the one featured at the DTek site) have the pump inside the reservoir for efficiency. I would want to discourage you from purchasing such a system because the pump will heat up the water! Think about it: the pump is doing work and the by-product of work is heat, right?

I use an inline system and love it:D! I use distilled water and water-wetter (12:1 mix) to reduce corrosion and bacteria growth, either of which have the dastardly effect of seriously reducing cooling efficiency.

Good luck with whatever you decide:)!

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
Originally posted by: ErikaeanLogic
Grimreefer, I'd get this kit and add the $10 shroud option. Great flow, low noise, top-notch cooling;).

Erikaean, youre using this?

i havent really looked into water-cooling, but maybe one day ill consider it.
what sort of overclock results have you gotten out of this setup? :)

ErikaeanLogic

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2000
MatthewF01: I was using this rig until I defected to the Dark Side; still waiting on the P4 top for the Spir@l to be released;). What performance I did get on the AMD platform was consistently about an extra 5-6% above what an Alpha8045 paired with an 80mm 80cfm Delta had been giving me, but a whole lot quieter:D! For example, I had purchased 2 AthlonXP 1600+ cpu's to test with, both of which could hit ~1800MHz on the hairdrier-on-steroids cooling rig, AKA Alpha/Delta. With the aforementioned (hehe, always wanted to use that word:p) watercooling setup I got them both totally stable at 1901 (10.5 x 181) and 1920 (10 x 192), respectively. Made a big difference to me, squeezing out that extra 100MHz+ out of those chips, especially without all the noise! Plus, with my window mod, UV cathode light, and flourescent dye in the coolant, I get to enjoy the oddity of my creation everytime I walk past it; I gain a new appreciation for the effort it took to put the thing together.

[/tears streaming down my cheeks]:D