What's the best Tower Defense game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
The problem is it uses a tech tree and the levels aren't self-contained. If you research the wrong things, the game becomes much harder or impossible. And if you spend a lot of money on one level, you will have less available for the next one, which could also make it much harder or impossible. There are tech tree upgrades that give you extra money, but those are one-time shots and you only get one upgrade per level, so taking one could prevent you from getting a necessary upgrade in time. And apparently you're supposed to save the money increases for the later, harder levels. The tech tree has tons of prerequisite techs that do nothing but allow you to research more prerequisite techs.

That's not to say it's a bad game, it's just quite difficult to get into. I gave up after playing for about an hour after I got it. The tech tree system makes me feel like I'd need to read a game guide to succeed, which shouldn't be necessary.

In this modern era, I love these rare difficult games.

That said, the way that Revenge of the Titan's difficulty handles the difficulty of the game is such that one "wrong" move can snowball out of control to a point whereby you have to go back and re-do some of the game to progress further.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
That said, the way that Revenge of the Titan's difficulty handles the difficulty of the game is such that one "wrong" move can snowball out of control to a point whereby you have to go back and re-do some of the game to progress further.

I had been thinking about getting this game but I think I will pass. I can understand wanting a challenging game but that just seems like bad game design to me.

-KeithP

veri745

Golden Member
Oct 11, 2007
Played through Toy Soldiers: Cold War from XBLA the other day with a buddy. Co-op mode on elite difficulty (manual towers only) is pretty fun.

I'd probably pick it up if it came to PC.

marino.DV

Sep 5, 2011
Revenge of the Titans is a tower defense that i remember to play for a long time. it's a must try/play for every tower defense enthusiast

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I had been thinking about getting this game but I think I will pass. I can understand wanting a challenging game but that just seems like bad game design to me.

-KeithP

The tech tree, although interesting, does make things awkward... but the money progression is a huge driver. Play better, the better rewards you have lined up for the next mission.

It was free in Humble Indie Bundle #2 and if you met certain criteria with #3, you also got #2... so you might have it already.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Tower Defense for iOS is pretty good. It gets obnoxiously difficult about 4 levels from the end though.

Caatalyst

May 31, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a new tower defence game for iOS called 2112TD

Set 100 years in the future, the player must battle inter-dimensional hell spawn across the solar system and defend Earth’s colonies from total annihilation.

Key Features

• 11 highly detailed maps, all based on locations across the solar system
• 4 game modes, including easy, medium, hard and survival
• Special abilities including sandbags, trooper squads & orbital bombardment
• ONSLAUGHT! - The hell spawn are relentless
• 8 unique towers with 2 upgrade paths and alternative fire modes
• 16 disgusting monsters divided into 4 armour categories
• Tower research system for tactical enhancements
• Stylish visuals such as the tower delivery craft and tower status modes
Screenshot of the work in progress 'Neptune Prison' map
prison_map_final_2_web.jpg

Concept Art for the Flame Thrower Turret

FTT1_WIP_290513_Web_Friendly.jpg

Concept Art for the Moon Communications Base

moonbase_concept.jpg

We are developing the game openly and would love to get feedback on the materials we've produced so far. You can keep connected with all the lates news on our facebook page.

Cheers,

James

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a new tower defence game for iOS called 2112TD

Set 100 years in the future, the player must battle inter-dimensional hell spawn across the solar system and defend Earth’s colonies from total annihilation.

Key Features

• 11 highly detailed maps, all based on locations across the solar system
• 4 game modes, including easy, medium, hard and survival
• Special abilities including sandbags, trooper squads & orbital bombardment
• ONSLAUGHT! - The hell spawn are relentless
• 8 unique towers with 2 upgrade paths and alternative fire modes
• 16 disgusting monsters divided into 4 armour categories
• Tower research system for tactical enhancements
• Stylish visuals such as the tower delivery craft and tower status modes
Screenshot of the work in progress 'Neptune Prison' map
prison_map_final_2_web.jpg

Concept Art for the Flame Thrower Turret

FTT1_WIP_290513_Web_Friendly.jpg

Concept Art for the Moon Communications Base

moonbase_concept.jpg

We are developing the game openly and would love to get feedback on the materials we've produced so far. You can keep connected with all the lates news on our facebook page.

Cheers,

James

Looks nice but there''s no need to bump an old thread to promote your game.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Looks nice but there''s no need to bump an old thread to promote your game.

yep. violation of rules here and the post will likely get deleted.

still, glad to see new TD games being made--oh, and put it on Android. iOS? puhleeeze! :p

btw, anyone played Jelly Defense? I found it rather addicting for a while, but I got stuck on one level some time ago and haven't played since then--mainly because I'm not into the handheld gaming thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.