Whats the best solution for dv capture and editing

cpars

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
I have a 4month old little girl that I would like to start making videos of as she progresses through these precious times and I am completely lost when it comes to video capture and editing.

I am planning on purchasing a good minidv camera (any suggestions)

What video card will serve my purpose? from what i have read it seems that ATI Radeon AIW would do this but i do not need a tv tuner etc, but I am interested in good 3d graphics for gaming also. I have also heard of the ti4200 with myvivo, and then some cards that just have DV at the end of the title, I am a bit lost. (suggestions please)

What is a good software program for editing? Is the MGI or Ulead software that comes with some cards any good?

Can I store these videos on cd providing they are not long or would i be better of to invest in a dvd burner ?

onelin

Dec 11, 2001
I think you're missing the point of DV ;) *digital*
get a firewire card for $20 and save yourself a *lot* of hassle, then pick yourself up whichever videocard you want. I think NEC and Texas Instruments both have nice offerings for ~$20.

Any way you look at it, a 3d gaming card is not going to have high enough quality video IN for a DV camcorder without some kind of quality loss. I have an MSI Ti4400-VIVO and sure it works, and is about TV quality...but firewire is much faster (who wants to capture and send in real-time, when you can do it much faster...it's like ripping an audio cd, only video) and has 0 quality loss, so I end up using that instead (I made sure to get a mobo with it on-board.)

As for software, I'm less certain. I use Intervideo WinProducer but it's special effects leave something to be desired...it is alright, especially since it came bundled w/ my card. Adobe Premiere is supposed to be sweet and Ulead offerings may be nice also.

HTH

cpars

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
Thanks, onelin0,

As I stated, I am new to video taping and todays standards.Will get a firewire card as suggested and look into the software you mentioned.Going to have to do alot of reading and comparing on the camcorders since there are sooo many to choose from.