What's the best security software for the average ignorant computer user?

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
I need some additional security software for a computer I'm building for a nephew of mine.
I'll be using AVG but I'd like some software that can protect from browser Hijacking and other malware. The trouble with applications like "Hijack this" is that some people don't have a clue when they should or shouldn't allow registry entries. So in this case what I would like to find is something that checks against a database of known malware upon install but doesn't require user intervention or input. Any suggestions?
Winxp rig and I prefer freeware.

Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
That would be Vista, and your nephew setup with a User Account, with the Admin account Password protected.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
security suggestons, for XP or Vista. This is what I use for my own "ignorant user," aka Mom :D She has no Admin powers whatsoever.

AVG's detection rates aren't as good as AntiVir. If you don't mind shelling out $26 for AntiVir's Premium version, that would be one of my suggestions (much better detection rates than AVG). The Premium version can be set up to auto-nuke bad stuff without asking the user what to do, which is key when your user doesn't know good from bad. Premium also adds POP3 email scanning.

Whatever you get, go through the Configuration/Settings panel and max out the options, and make sure you do set it to auto-nuke malware in both the real-time and on-demand scanning settings. You don't want the user to be involved in deciding whether to kill malware.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
How does she install programs she wants or need then ? Calls you ever time to come over to put the password in ?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: pcslookout
How does she install programs she wants or need then?

She doesn't install programs, period. Her main need is email and Internet, which doesn't require installing stuff, and if she did need something, she wouldn't know what she needed or wanted anyway. The protection has done a beautiful job of keeping my devil-may-care little sister from messing up the computer when she goes over to visit, too :evil:

law9933

Sep 11, 2006
Maybe WinPatrol free to protect browser. If it asks, do not allow. Spyware Blaster maybe good.

King Nothing

Jan 2, 2008
I have a section on my site that deals with computer security and in particular freeware apps.

Link

Hope this proves to be helpful :D