What's the best online savings account (ING, emigrant direct?)

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I was thinking of opening an online savings account for better interests rates. I was talking to a friend about opening an ING account but he said emigrant direct had better interest rates. What's the best out there?

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Emigrant always have better rates than ING. They always raise their rates first too.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
All of the online savings accounts offer a higher rate than ING, but I still use ING because It is the easiest to use and it's easier on the eye. And I dont carry a $100K balance either, so a 1% difference won't matter much.

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
If you don't think a 1% difference will matter that much then why even save. It's just 4%

on $1000 1% is 10 bucks extra a year. I'll take that if you don't want it.

I have both an ING and ED account. I signed up for ING way back when, and ED just recently. They are linked to where I can move money from ING to ED, and since they have a much higher rate now and just recently did a website update (for the better) I have most of my quick savings with ED.

ING - 4.35
HSBC - 5.05
ED - 5.15

EDIT: With ING you get $25 if you open up with $250. If you want PM me and I can send you a referal (I get $10 :D )

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: neomits
If you don't think a 1% difference will matter that much then why even save. It's just 4%

on $1000 1% is 10 bucks extra a year. I'll take that if you don't want it.

I have both an ING and ED account. I signed up for ING way back when, and ED just recently. They are linked to where I can move money from ING to ED, and since they have a much higher rate now and just recently did a website update (for the better) I have most of my quick savings with ED.

ING - 4.35
HSBC - 5.05
ED - 5.15

EDIT: With ING you get $25 if you open up with $250. If you want PM me and I can send you a referal (I get $10 :D )

Id rather lose the $10 and stick with ING. Im still getting decent interest. Now if Cii and HSBC and the rest of them get into 6% and 7%, I'll switch :)