what's the best non keyboard Media remote?

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
I have no need for a keyboard remote mainly because all my media viewing is in the dark. I'm looking for a simple remote that provides only the basic controls needed to navigate my media collection. It needs to be so simple that I can memorize the relevant keys and not have to actually look at the remote. It needs to include a cursor control of some type as well as forward/backward buttons, volume up/down, home key and start/stop, FFW/REV but not much else.

At present I'm using a Lenovo mini KB which is overkill, I'd be more comfortable with something much simpler. I'd rather focus on what's on the big screen rather than the little remote in my hand.

Thanks.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I used event ghost with a cheap media center remote and programmed it to do everything you mention.

Not plug and play though. Took a while to program the event ghost stuff.

pkscout

Aug 30, 2012
I have a Logitech Harmony 650 and use it in conjunction with LM Remote Key Map (similar in concept to Event Ghost). As Dirigible mentioned, this isn't quite plug and play, but once it's setup it doesn't have to be constantly tweaked. The reason I got the 650 is that I can control other components with it (TV, AV Reciever) and because it has extra keys I can program. I still got a cheap media center remote so that I had a IR reciever to plug in to the media center, but the actual remote that came with it is in a drawer somewhere now.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Harmony 300 is pretty good for being so cheap. But not backlit, which may be a concern if all your viewing is in the dark. That is one reason I use the MS XBOX Universal Media remotes instead.

Some of the $10 universal remotes at Stop n' Shop, Walmart, etc. are backlit and list "Microsoft" in the supported brands, which I think means they are probably RC6 remotes to work with the PC, but never tried one to be sure.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Logitech 880/890 or One if you can find them. You might be able to get by with the 650 if you only have a couple devices you need to control (i.e. 5). All but the One have hard buttons for everything. The One has a touchscreen, but the majority of all functionality is done with hard buttons.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
For what you want pretty much any universal remote will work. How many devices do you need to control? Do you need macro support? Are you okay with programming on the remote, or do you need a PC based app to hold your hand while programming?

Without the keyboard you're looking at preference thing mostly. I like the URC stuff over the ubiquitous harmony crap. Much brighter IR (so you can point the remote even away from the tv, have it work from under a blanket, etc) and they are much more durable in my experience.