What's the ' | and ` called?

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
I remember one's called the gamma or something, which one is it, and what's the other?

Edited for clarification

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm sure these names aren't universal, but I call them the single quote, the pipe (or vertical bar), and the backquote.

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
That has to be one of the most confusing thread titles I have ever read. :p

I agree with kranky, single quote and pipe. I don't know about the other one, heck, I had to look on the keyboard to figure out which key it was.

PH

jonnyjack

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
are you guys serious? the first character is called an apostrophe...i thought everyone learned that in school...

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i've called the ` an accent mark.

i don't even know what | is or what | is used for. frankly it was only a short time ago that i learned that _ is an underscore.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
are you guys serious? the first character is called an apostrophe...i thought everyone learned that in school...

The first character is not an apostrophe.

This is: '

What was posted was this `

Check your font.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Woops. I checked the first character that was posted, ', and it is indeed an apostrophe. My apologies.

The accent mark `, I can understand, but sh|t, how can you not know what an apostrophe is.

Kaiser__Sose

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
nope ~ is a tilde.
` is an accente gout or accent grave.. not sure which one is which.. any french people in here will be able to tell you.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It might be an apostrophe in English class, but in my experience in working with computers it's always been called the single quote. Just like ! is bang and not exclamation point, and * is star and not asterisk.

Damaged

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Hmmmm...

well this symbol ` also usually found on the same key as ~ depends on with whom you're speaking. If you're speaking to a systems administrator, mostly likely they'll refer to it as a backtick. If you're speaking with a professor of English, the would probably call it a grave or a grave accent.

These ' ' symbols are single quotation marks. These " " are double quotation marks.

This thing | is simply a vertical bar, but again, sys admins will probably refer to as a pipe because of what it is used for on UNIX systems.

[edit]Oh yeah, and this ^, is called a circumflex.[/edit] :)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I figured not everyone would agree on the names, so I thought I'd muddy the waters some more and cover some various names for other special characters. Only programmers will recognize some of these.

^ circumflex, caret, hat
~ tilde, squiggle, twiddle, not
_ underline, underbar, underscore, under
* star, asterisk, splat, wildcard
@ at sign, at, whorl, strudel
$ dollar, buck, string
# number sign, pound sign, pound, tic-tac-toe
% percent sign, percent, grapes
/ forward slash, rising slash, slant, stroke
& and, ampersand, amp, pretzel
. period, dot, point
" double quote, quotation mark, dieresis, rabbit ears
\ backslash, reverse slash, falling slash, backwhack
() open and close parenthesis, left and right paren
[] open and close bracket, left and right bracket
{} curly brackets, curly braces, left and right tit
<> less than and greater than, left and right angle bracket, from and to, suck and blow

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yep, should have remembered hash, but octothorp is a new one on me.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
It might be an apostrophe in English class, but in my experience in working with computers it's always been called the single quote. Just like ! is bang and not exclamation point, and * is star and not asterisk.

Last time I checked, C++ programmers were no authority on the English language, or even keyboard characters.

After checking the Character Map in Windows, and confirming with a dictionary:

` is a &quot;grave accent&quot;
| is a &quot;vertical line&quot;

The apostrophe ', is written the same way as a close single quote ', which looks like a distorted 9. The open single quote looks like a 6. But you'd have to use a word processor to see it. By default, most programs use the neutral single and double quotation marks/apostrophe, which is just a vertical dash.

Well, I hope that answers your question.

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The &quot;grave&quot; symbol ( I cant type it on this keyboard) is used in the french language over an &quot;e&quot; to denote pronunciation. there is also one that points the other way which is an AIGUE (sp) which denotes that the &quot;e&quot; it is placed over is pronounced eey rather than grave which is pronounced ew. French is not all that hard to master verbally, but the writing of the language can exasperate even the best scholars.