What's scarier to you? Tornadoes or Earthquakes?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tornadoes or Earthquakes

• Earthquake

• Tornado

Results are only viewable after voting.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Tornado, by far. You can build for earthquakes, and minimize the damage (though most buildings are not, in fact, designed to be earthquake "proof").

Tornadoes, you might see coming, or at least see the weather system that could spawn a tornado coming, and take cover. But many tornadoes happen at night, when it's dark, and they pop up on you like frikkin' Dracula. D:

Besides, I've been through 4 major earthquakes (magnitude 7 or greater), and survived. Going through a tornado frankly scares the shit out of me.

Wow that's bad luck, which 4?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Loma Prieta will be at most a footnote to the coming
Big Ones
- - - - - - - -

Show me the tornado that has killed over 250,000 people.

I live in Vancouver. When the Cascadia fault goes (perhaps some time soon) we are fucked :'( And I work out here in Richmond, a part of the city that is built entirely on silt (read liquifaction).

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
id much rather face a tornado...

bridges and overpasses in Pa are not EQ proof.
So... driving over the river and an earthquake happens... = truck falls in the river and we all die.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
live in San Diego, CA

much more afraid of tornadoes even though I've never experienced one in person

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
live in San Diego, CA

much more afraid of tornadoes even though I've never experienced one in person

Same here. I've lived in SoCal for 21 years and experienced the Northridge quake while living in Los Angeles but tornadoes scare me more than earthquakes do.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
We deal with earthquakes here all the time. Most are small <5.0 & I rarely feel them. Even when I do feel them, I barely move an inch & it's over in seconds. I was standing in a parking lot in '89 when the big one hit & even though the ground moved in waves, I never felt like my life was in danger.

By the time you're an adult in CA, you've already gone through 2,000 earthquake drills, so you're pretty well prepared for them.

I'd never want to have an encounter with a tornado, regardless of size.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
Never been in any of the two. I slept through the few low-intensity earthquakes to be had here.

But tornadoes look more dangerous and more annoying, because there are lots of them, are scary, and if one gets on your house there's no way to save your life.
If a earthquake is strong enough to destroy your house, then get out and that's it.
If it's a tornado, get out and die anyway.

I really can't understand how someone would want to live in a flat territory struck by tornadoes yearly. What's the point, move somewhere else and avoid the hassle of rebuilding and dealing with insurance. American houses are cheap and can be rebuilt everytime so it's a habit I guess.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Having lived in Tornado alley all my life and having first hand witnessed the death and destruction that they wreak and having survived two near death experiences in Twisters I voted Tornado.

And to all those claiming you have time to get out of the way of a Twister, thats just wishfull thinking in most cases. Unless you have a concrete bunker or storm shelter on your property it's just impractical to run to a shelter every time weather threatens. And as much as warning systems have improved they are still a total crap shoot and can only give very general direction at best, we literally have dozens of warnings and sirens every spring and the best you can do is go to the safest area in the building or house you are in and hope for the best.

Hell if you jumped and ran everytime a siren went off or a hook echo was approaching on radar you would probably increase your risk of getting hit. And even if you see a funnel clould on the ground it doesn't do you much good because their movements are so fast and erratic you don't know which way to run. The only person I ever knew personally that was killed by a tornado was a kid of about 14 that was playing with friends several blocks from home when a tornado approached and against the advice of others his instincts told him to run home which he did, he was three houses from home when he was cut down by a piece of flying metal off a barn roof as his mother and older brother watched in horror. :( The randomness of tornados makes them even more terrifying

Last edited:

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
1. Where do you live now.
2. Please notify us when and where you move to in the future.

I do not want to live anywhere near you.

MotionMan

I live in tornado country now. :eek:

My 4 earthquakes were quite a while ago, though:
1. Loma Prieta quake that hit the SF Bay area in 1989 (that was my "small one")
2. Guam earthquake in August 1993 (~8.1 magnitude)
3. Adak, Alaska earthquake, in 1996 (~7.7 magnitude)
4. aftershock, next morning, after Adak quake (~7.2 magnitude)

The two in Alaska were the coolest ones, since all the buildings were earthquake shock mounted, and just slid around on those mounts. Flexible lines brought water, fuel (for boiler) and electric into house, and sewer out of house. The only way we knew it was a quake was that we heard the rumble, and the house swayed just enough for all the drawers to slide open and shut, and the cabinet doors to sway open and shut, repeatedly. VERY surreal!! :confused:

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I live in tornado country now. :eek:

My 4 earthquakes were quite a while ago, though:
1. Loma Prieta quake that hit the SF Bay area in 1989 (that was my "small one")

You liar!!! You said you were in "4 major earthquakes (magnitude 7 or greater)". Loma Prieta was only 6.9!!!

;)

(However, the difference between 6.9 and 7.0 is not as small as you might think.)

MotionMan

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I thought people said you could run and hide from tornadoes? Were all those who died just stupid or invalids?

MotionMan

Living in California, and getting to listen to all the "Fuck California, I hope it falls into the ocean" type of comments, part of me wants to make some similar smart-ass comment about the South getting hammered by Mother Nature...but I just can't bring myself to do it...I feel bad for the folks who are affected by the fury of these storms.
I have family in Illinois and Iowa, many of whom have experienced the devastation that tornadoes can bring.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Living in California, and getting to listen to all the "Fuck California, I hope it falls into the ocean" type of comments, part of me wants to make some similar smart-ass comment about the South getting hammered by Mother Nature...but I just can't bring myself to do it...I feel bad for the folks who are affected by the fury of these storms.
I have family in Illinois and Iowa, many of whom have experienced the devastation that tornadoes can bring.

It was more of a comment on the people here than the people who died.

MotionMan

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I really can't understand how someone would want to live in a flat territory struck by tornadoes yearly. What's the point, move somewhere else and avoid the hassle of rebuilding and dealing with insurance. American houses are cheap and can be rebuilt everytime so it's a habit I guess.

They live in these places b/c they are the few remaining places where they can freely reject science to their heart's content. It makes them happy.

....until they die in a tornado. :\

FaalKorum

Apr 28, 2011
Well, one the one hand, you have weather conditions forming massive wind funnels somethimes at speeds upwards of 300mph. But with earthquakes, the ground itself decides to start shaking things apart of its own volition, so
.. I'll say both are scary enough. Awe inspiring phenomena to be sure, but I wouldn't want to be near one.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Well, one the one hand, you have weather conditions forming massive wind funnels somethimes at speeds upwards of 300mph. But with earthquakes, the ground itself decides to start shaking things apart of its own volition, so
.. I'll say both are scary enough. Awe inspiring phenomena to be sure, but I wouldn't want to be near one.

I feel like they can engineer and build to better defend and protect against earthquakes than against tornadoes.

Is that correct?

MotionMan