What's next from ATI and Nvidia?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: CaiNaM
ATi are planning
Nvidia are supposedly not for G80.

OT, but i've seen it so often i have to ask... and please don't take this as someone being a "grammar cop", as it just strikes me as odd, so please allow me a little latitude s i am asking legitimately in an effort to understand something. ;)

why do many people use 'are' after singular pronouns? is it because 'american' english is different in treating a word like 'everybody' as a singlular pronoun?

as an example, we don't say, "are everybody drunk?", rather we say, "is everybody drunk?"
(even as the term 'everbody' refers to a group of people).

in referring to 'ati' or 'nvidia', they are single companies (even if we are thinking about a 'collective' group of people), and therefore the proper grammar (at least in american english) is to say, "ati (nvidia) is planning...."

so.. is it a case of grammatical error, or that american english is different, or i am just so damn old that they changed the rules and are teaching younger folks something different?

no, people are just weird.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
How's this for confusing:

Nvidia is going to launch a new card. They are very optimistic about the card's performance.

You wouldn't say 'It is very optimistic about the card's performance', would you?

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: CaiNaM
ATi are planning
Nvidia are supposedly not for G80.

OT, but i've seen it so often i have to ask... and please don't take this as someone being a "grammar cop", as it just strikes me as odd, so please allow me a little latitude s i am asking legitimately in an effort to understand something. ;)

why do many people use 'are' after singular pronouns? is it because 'american' english is different in treating a word like 'everybody' as a singlular pronoun?

as an example, we don't say, "are everybody drunk?", rather we say, "is everybody drunk?"
(even as the term 'everbody' refers to a group of people).

in referring to 'ati' or 'nvidia', they are single companies (even if we are thinking about a 'collective' group of people), and therefore the proper grammar (at least in american english) is to say, "ati (nvidia) is planning...."

so.. is it a case of grammatical error, or that american english is different, or i am just so damn old that they changed the rules and are teaching younger folks something different?

British people use the plural to describe companies. Nintendo ARE Nvidia ARE

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: gersson

ahh.. just a diff. between "american" english, and british english then? just doesn't make sense to me as NINTENDO "is" a company, not multiple companies ;)

thanks for the explanation.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
I'm just wondering, and excuse me if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, if the R600 and G80 cards will be able to play Oblivion. These upcoming cards have been built from the ground up to support DX10, a "visual OS" that is not backwards compatible to DX9. And even if they could somehow run a DX9 game, how well would they perform considering the different DX versions? I mean, would a X1900XTX play Oblivion better than a R600 or G80 since the R600 and G80 are built for a newer, more efficient DX version?

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Exsomnis
Originally posted by: Sable
Originally posted by: tuteja1986
Probably even intergation of some physic processing processor
I'd agree except for this. I can't see it being a separate processor on the card. It should just use the programmable nature of the gpu to do the physics calculations. I believe this is what NV are doing with the Havok FX API.
They're planning to use the second card in SLI/Crossfire to do the physics calculations.

Which always strikes me as a pathetic bragging - we have to make compromises in every single new game, even with CF/SLI when it comes to graphics. How TF they want to put extra workload to these cards? (It doesn't matter it's bacuse of the devs or the ISPs - it's a fact.)
I don't think GPU-based physics acceleration has a chance within 2-3 years against chips like Physx unless they will use a dedicated unit (ie withing the core) as well...

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

Yep and the worst if first you've learned British as your 2nd-3rd etc language but now you live in the US for long years... ;) I can't keep it one way... :D

fliguy84

Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: T2k

Yep and the worst if first you've learned British as your 2nd-3rd etc language but now you live in the US for long years... ;) I can't keep it one way... :D

Yup, that's the case for me. I learned British English in school and now that I'm studying in the US, it's kinda hard to keep up with the language. Dang, why do Americans always have to be different :p

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: fliguy84
Originally posted by: T2k

Yup, that's the case for me. I learned English in school and now that I'm studying in the US, it's kinda hard to keep up with the strange butchered version of the language that you lot use. Dang, why do Americans always have to be different :p

Corrected for accuracy

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Anyway back to topic. I belive the reason that NV is taking the hybrid approach is because DX10 titles will still take time to fully penetrate (sounds kinda wrong but :p) the gaming market and that there will be many DX9/S.M 3.0 titles. Another reason could be because DX10 is further delayed.

Im expecting the R600 to be a USA(unfied shader architecture) with AVIVO, dongless crossfire, and some tweaks here and there.
For G80 im expecting something of X850XT --> X1800XT. Pure Video/SLi has been around for 2~ years now, and im sure these will be more improved with pure video2/SLi2. Im also expecting angle independent AF, HDR plus MSAA and maybe more efficent AA (to minimise performance hit).

I know these cards will be ultising GDDR4, S.M 4.0 but thats about it. G80 has been in the works for along time (3~4 years now with lots of money spent on it) while R600 will defitnately be a beast to be reckoned with. (more refined form of the R500(xbox360)/R580 core maybe)

Snakexor

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
what happend to r580+. lol i hope its still coming out, because thats what i am waiting for :)