What's it like to be a SalesForce developer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
My background is in distributed systems, cloud computing, OLTP, database, and that kind of stuff. I also have some outdated experience with machine learning and data mining. I'm comfortable in .NET, Java, Node JS, and Go. I'm capable, but not comfortable, in Python, C, and C++.

I've encountered a new financial burden and I need to make more money. I have a pretty good opportunity to switch over to developing on SalesForce and it'll pay what I realistically need.

Here's the thing... Is it interesting? While my current job doesn't pay me what I need, at least it's fairly interesting. I'm solving pretty tough problems and writing some fun code. I'm afraid of SalesForce (Apex?) just being an overly proprietary technology that will get old and will pigeonhole me into a really specific career path.

What say you?

I say this old thread is such spambait that I'm locking it - post in Moderator Discussions to have it reopened. -- Programming Moderator Ken g6

Last edited by a moderator:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I've never done it personally but I also would never do it. It sounds extremely boring and mundane and it pigeon holes you as far as what you are going to be learning while doing it.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I can't speak to Salesforce directly as I have no experience with their system (although my company does have several instances of Salesforce).

I can comment on "pigeonholing" yourself on proprietary technology. I have been working in the SAP space for the last decade and it has some similarities from the perspective of proprietary tech. It has been very good to me with regard to finances, job prospects, and job interests.

Whether the work will interest you is more of a personal preference, but specializing in a widely used, proprietary technology makes you particularly valuable on the market. Never once have I been concerned about finding another job. Worst case scenario is I go back to consulting and make even more money (but give up my slack schedule/family life).

Salesforce has a big enough Install base that I'm fairly certain it would be a good career move for you. That being said, I have no idea if you will like the work.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Let me put it this way, would you be a "wordpress" developer? Because that is realistically what is happening with "salesforce developer" roles. It is far less about actual development work and more about grabbing and hooking together other people's plugins.

Sure, there is some work to make the plugins in the first place, but that isn't what most salesforce positions actually entail (similar to how there is real wordpress development work, but that isn't generally what companies are hiring you for).

Whether or not this is a good move for you, IDK. But be aware that is where you are going.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Funny, the company I work with just spent millions on the purchase of SalesForce and the money is not in development, but in the consultants that come in, sell the product and then provide professional services to implement. That's the gravy train you want to get in involved with, not the shop that is left supporting the mess.

CanadianCoder

Aug 2, 2016
I worked with Salesforce a few years ago as an intern. It wasn't terrible in terms of developer experience, but after a few more years in the industry I definitely can't say it's where I'd go if I wanted to be thrilled with the work I was doing. Back then (mind you this was four years ago) the platform sucked for developers.

That said, since Salesforce is directly related to a profit centre it theoretically provides a good opportunity to become more involved in solution design/architecture. Not 'how am I going to code this', but 'how are we going to design the system to maximum benefit'. That's the angle I'd aim for now, if I ever went back to it anyway.

Anywho, this is coming from someone who's now working with Cerner, which is arguably worse than Salesforce. As long as you keep your skills up to date, get results, and sell yourself right down the line, the money may be worth it.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
So I thought about it some more, and I even looked into Trailhead. It's definitely not for me. It isn't real problem solving, in my opinion. Well, at least not the type of problems I like to solve. I don't think I'd be able to withstand the boringness for long at all.

I'll be updating my resume and getting some feelers out there. I recently asked around and it seems like I'm quite underpaid for what I do in my market, so that's somewhat of a good thing. It means that I'm very likely to get the bump I need just by moving to another job; no need for SalesForce! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.