What's good sound to you?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
There has been a lot of opinions and debates about which equipment is the best.

However, one may favor one equipment over another due to differences in sound taste. For example, one may favor deep punchy bass, or one may favor clear, detailed highs more.

So what's good sound to you?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Clear and accurate midrange and treble, good but not overstated bass with hints of oak and cherries.

apinomus

Dec 14, 2005
FLAC > foobar 0.8.3 Kernel Steaming > kX Audio Driver > ASIO 48k > Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Front-Panel > HD570

The drivers really open the high-end of the dark HD570s. Nice punchy, full bass from these headphones. Doesn't rattle your head with really low-end extension but is sweet for metal and trance kickdrum. High's don't hurt your ears but are detailed enough. Not as accurate as some other phones but for everyday use on all kinds of music these are awesome.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
foobar 0.9.4.2 (Pic) -> Kernel Streaming -> Envy24 -> PA2V2 (soon, will be a little gift to myself :D) -> Senny 280s

Considering picking up a pair of Grado sr60s, but after the 280s I'm sick of build quality issues... and I'm also afraid I'll like them too much :p

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Varies, I have a personal "preferred" sound, but that's not to say I can't appreciate speakers/systems that exhibit other characteristics. But yes, there are some high end setups that I just don't enjoy.

<--Dynaudio whore.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Most important for me is tonal accuracy. It's hard to get it right. Where a violin sounds like a violin. Also love buttery smooth planar speakers because they seem to do a good job of it.

-edit-
and who needs tone controls? nasty little things.

Jun 27, 2005
Krell powering B&W Nautilus. The best sound $100k can buy. :p
Edit: With naked ladies dancing around them...

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2003
K R E L L

The Master
Reference Amplifier brings a new level of
performance to sound reproduction. Its
tremendous power (exceeding 1,000 Watts
into 8 Ohms, 2,000 Watts into 4 Ohms,
4,000 Watts into 2 Ohms, 8,000 Watts into
1 Ohm, and 16,000 Watts into .5 Ohm)
gives the listener the freedom to enjoy
unconstrained sound reproduction. The
technological innovations that manage
these large amounts of power are transpar-
ent to the user.

$120,000 & 600 lbs. that's for a mono amplifier. Get two for stereo, and another for the sub.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Natural.

That's the problem with people - too often they get caught up in the specification whirlwind without paying attention to what matters in the first place.

The sole job of the equipment (and it doesn't stop at the loudspeaker either - the listening environment is extremely important for proper presentation!) is to re-create the sound of the original performance as it was captured in the space of the recording studio. The air around the performer, the sharpness of the pluck of of string, the breath of the singer, the timbre of a brush on a snare drum - all this takes effort and care and ANY deviation from the original (i.e. coloration) is BAD.

Yet so many folk will "jack up the bass" on a track that doesn't need it or set all the sliders on an EQ to a "pattern" because Harry Slapjack on 54th says it sounds better. :roll:

To each is own I guess.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Krell powering B&W Nautilus. The best sound $100k can buy. :p
Edit: With naked ladies dancing around them...

Krell powering B&W Nautilus.:thumbsup:

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
A good source->Audigy 2 ZS->kX drivers->[volume <=80% (no over-amplification) on A2 ZS]->Grado SR-60 sounds great to me. I love an open mid-range now that I've heard these headphones. My Senn HD457s sound muffled after trying these for a few days (but it did take a few days for me to appreciate the Grados).