What's going to happen to the republican party?

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Now I know a lot of you are going to call me crazy, but I used to love Fox news, I listened to Sean Hannity and the Mark Levin Show and always agreed with them. That was until this primary race started heating up. You can see and hear them salivating over Romney, and I'm sad to say I can no longer really align myself with them.

They have been constantly attacking McCain and Huckabee and I can hardly stand to listen to them anymore.

Someone please explain to me why McCain wouldn't be good for the GOP?
1) He is for tax cuts and making the Bush tax cuts permanent, although he was against them because they did not cut spending with them - Tax Cuts, lower spending
2) He is for the Iraq war, but believes we went about it wrong, now he believes we are on the right track, which is the one he has been saying all along - National Security
3) He is a strong supporter of the second amendment... He co-sponsored a bill to try to remove the DC Gun ban
4) Personally is against abortion and gay marriage.
5) Against embryonic stem cell research and human cloning

Now I know he apposes "torture" and many in the GOP do not as far as water boarding is concerned. I count him as a professional on the subject. He was, in fact, tortured.

I know he wasn't the strongest on immigration reform as far as the GOP is concerned... which I'm also not too happy about. However, I think he was erring on the compassionate side because he can empathies with them (POW related, IMO).

Someone, please enlighten me... why the hell does the GOP hate him?

Next the issue of his running mate. I have been calling it for awhile, but want to prove that I was right when it happens. McCain will choose Huckabee as his running mate. Here are my reasons.

1) Huckabee knows how to run a government. Was governor for 10 1/2.
2) Knows the economy, he had what it takes to fix Arkansas
3) Strong with the Evangelicals, something McCain doesn't have
4) Strong on education, supported by the NEA but also is a big supporter of private, charter, and homeschooling
5) Fiscal conservative, turned a deficit into a surplus while reforming education, improving roads, and cutting taxes
6) However, he did raise some taxes for education and the roads.
a) Education was a forced changed by the court system
b) The road system was a tax increase with a believe 60% popular citizen vote

With those two you have two republicans, one with a very strong foreign policy and one with a very strong domestic policy. Both popular with moderates and republicans, neither all too popular with neo-cons... People are scared of Huck being a pastor, however, he was able to run Arkansas without that being an issue, I believe that fear is expected but unfounded.

Okay, attack me.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Part of it for me is immigration and political fund raising stances he has taken. He also was against the tax cuts but now is for keeping them.

I am no real fan of anyone in the Republican side yet. I did vote for Rudy ion Michigan knowing he would lose and would probably lose. I wasn't ready to take a stand for a particular candidate and still am not.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
5) Fiscal conservative, turned a defecate into a surplus while reforming education, improving roads, and cutting taxes

Okay, attack me.

Not if you're gonna get all crappy about it :)

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: sirjonk
5) Fiscal conservative, turned a defecate into a surplus while reforming education, improving roads, and cutting taxes

Okay, attack me.

Not if you're gonna get all crappy about it :)

I was hoping no one saw that =P

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
He has too many Neoconservative buddies.

He doesn't care if we are in Iraq 100 years.

He comes across as shifty with that shit eating grin.

He is a military man, Neoconservatives eat that shit.

We don't need another idiot policing the world with militaristic agenda's.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
If McCain wins the nomination the GOP know he's dead in the water. That's why you can see he hasn't gotten any money from the people who back the GOP. They aren't really smitten with Huckster or Mittens either. If it's McCain in the General it maybe the 1st time the Republicans get less than 35% of the popular vote :)

Have you watched any of these debates thus far? Can you not see that McCain is both insane and inept? People are voting for him based on name recognition.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
McCain as the choice would save the Republicans from disaster. Non-Republicans are sick of Bush and his policies, if the Republicans choose a Bush Clone it will be a long time before they are forgiven.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: sandorski
McCain as the choice would save the Republicans from disaster. Non-Republicans are sick of Bush and his policies, if the Republicans choose a Bush Clone it will be a long time before they are forgiven.

Huh? What do you think McCain would change from Bush? We'd be in Iraq longer? We'd send more money to Medicare? We'd have an even more liberal stance on Economic and Border control issues?

Yea he's not like Bush at all :(

Does anyone here actually read anything about these people?

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: Mavtek3100
If McCain wins the nomination the GOP know he's dead in the water.

According to polls he is the best matchup against both Hillary and Obama. Source

Sure, but wait until he gets into a nationally televised debate with either of them. It's going to be a joke, or maybe the public will feel sorry for him.

Seriously, there's a debate tonight, McCain will show his ineptitude no doubt about it. If you really think he can beat Clinton or Obama you don't know much about McCain.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
If McCain wins the nomination the GOP know he's dead in the water. That's why you can see he hasn't gotten any money from the people who back the GOP. They aren't really smitten with Huckster or Mittens either. If it's McCain in the General it maybe the 1st time the Republicans get less than 35% of the popular vote :)

Have you watched any of these debates thus far? Can you not see that McCain is both insane and inept? People are voting for him based on name recognition.

I think your comments are right on the money.
The reason the GOP is not interested in promoting Huckabee or Romney is because they aren't a part of the Bush Machine! McCain is.
I am a Republican but I'll be damned if I vote for McCain! He is fracturing my Party.
If McCain wins the nomination I will either sit this one out or vote for Obama (if he wins the Dem nomination).

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Skitzer

The reason the GOP is not interested in promoting Huckabee or Romney is because they aren't a part of the Bush Machine! McCain is.
I am a Republican but I'll be damned if I vote for McCain! He is fracturing my Party.
If McCain wins the nomination I will either sit this one out or vote for Obama (if he wins the Dem nomination).

You are not getting it.The foundation of the conservative base is NOT for McCain.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

You are not getting it.The foundation of the conservative base is NOT for McCain.

Who is the "conservative base"?

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Those head to head polls with McCain more competitive against teh Dem candidates are very early adn I don't be;lieve focus on likely Repuiblican voters. I think Romney will pick up more support going forward.

But iof McCain is the GOP nominee, for the first time in my voting history (32 years) I will vote Dem (Obama) if he is the nominee. At least we know we are getting a more liberal person in the White House rather than one who speaks conservative but actions say otherwise.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Huh? What do you think McCain would change from Bush? We'd be in Iraq longer? We'd send more money to Medicare? We'd have an even more liberal stance on Economic and Border control issues?

Doesn't matter, McCain is perceived differently than Bush on many key areas: He's Intelligent, he's Diplomatic, he's Clear/Concise, he's not a Yahoo, etc.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon

Who is the "conservative base"?

I suppose I am talking about their talking heads, Hannity, Levin, Rush, etc. People that the dems consider ultra conservatives.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000

No, you're not getting it unless you're saying that McCain will not win the GOP nomination. Believe me, the conservative base is already rallying behind McCain. What choice do they have, Romney has lost Florida ...... a purely Republican Primary.
Romney doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting the nomination. Mark my word.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008

Doesn't matter, McCain is perceived differently than Bush on many key areas: He's Intelligent, he's Diplomatic, he's Clear/Concise, he's not a Yahoo, etc.

Yes, McCain is the straight talker alright, too bad he's straight talking him self to insanity and stupidity.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I don't like McCain. But I would vote for him over Satan/Hillary any day of the week if given only two choices.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
I don't like McCain. But I would vote for him over Satan/Hillary any day of the week if given only two choices.

You are assuming the Hildebeast will win the nomination?
Would you vote for him over Obama?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Oh yes, he's very intelligent and concise. :confused:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-tg1kQ8dk

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
I'm voting for William Hong, at least I'll know I'm voting for someone with a higher IQ than John McCain.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

No, you're not getting it unless you're saying that McCain will not win the GOP nomination. Believe me, the conservative base is already rallying behind McCain. What choice do they have, Romney has lost Florida ...... a purely Republican Primary.
Romney doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting the nomination. Mark my word.

WTF do you know what you're talking about? Listen to Fox news and all the die-hard republicans... they hate McCain. McCain won florida by a large moderate vote, not die hard conservatives. Have you listened to any to Fox or any of the conservative show hosts? Just take a gander at the Hannity forum, McCain hate is everywhere. Rush despises him.

I think he will get the nomination because he has a wider base of support and appeals to non-die hard conservatives and moderates.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

WTF do you know what you're talking about? Listen to Fox news and all the die-hard republicans... they hate McCain. McCain won florida by a large moderate vote, not die hard conservatives. Have you listened to any to Fox or any of the conservative show hosts? Just take a gander at the Hannity forum, McCain hate is everywhere. Rush despises him.

I think he will get the nomination because he has a wider base of support and appeals to non-die hard conservatives and moderates.

Exactly.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
McCain is a realist and a pragmatist, not a psycho-fanatic and is thus out of touch with a good portion of his base. He pursues policies along the lines of common sense rather than as a nut case. A good portion of the Republican party is made up of sociopaths who hate everything and live in a prison of fear. They want fire and brimstone and everybody to be punished. They see any form of progress as a threat. The Republican party is where small minds collect and McCain doesn't meet that definition. Part of McCain probably died in Viet Nam, the small minded part called fear. He probably feels the value of being alive.