What's going to happen to my pulled pork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rga

Nov 9, 2011
So I've got a boneless pork shoulder in the oven. I marinated it over night with about three cups of homeade jerk seasoning. I think I made a mistake though, as I put all the marinade in the with pork while it cooks. Will still turn out alright?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I smoked the last pork shoulder I cooked. Took about 12 hours but man it turned out nice! No marinade, only a rub and smoked over hardwood charcoal.

2afgx7a.jpg

rga

Nov 9, 2011
Everything came out fine. I left the marinade in with the roast while it cooked. I strained everything when it was finished cooking, and let the marinade boil down a bit more while I pulled the pork apart with a pair of forks. I added some of the marinade back into the shredded meat and put it back in the oven for another 30 minutes. It doesn't look as good as the smoked pulled pork above, but the taste and texture was pretty good.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
:thumbsup:

It's almost impossible to fuck this up, especially in an oven. Just set to 200, or as low as the oven will function, and forget about it. I wouldn't worry about what is on or in the shoulder when you start it. If anything, a simple dry rub will suffice. I still wet brine it two day's before, with molasses and salt, for some reason.

My smoker isn't optimized enough for a consistent cook, so I sometimes go back and forth between the two. ideally, my next one will start on the smoker to get at least a decent smoke taste, then cook in the oven most likely.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Everything came out fine. I left the marinade in with the roast while it cooked. I strained everything when it was finished cooking, and let the marinade boil down a bit more while I pulled the pork apart with a pair of forks. I added some of the marinade back into the shredded meat and put it back in the oven for another 30 minutes. It doesn't look as good as the smoked pulled pork above, but the taste and texture was pretty good.

Phew, I really expected such a huge mistake to end up with a death in the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.