What's going on with Jamarcus Russell?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Is he still holding out for more $$$? Will he ever sign? Has a rookie ever held out an entire season and then re-entered the draft again the next season? Is that even possible?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
It's possible but his stock will plummet and he wont get nearly as much $$ as he's asking for.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
It's really stupid. He and is agent are probably arguing over an extra million dollars or two, which is almost pointless when you're singing a $40 million contract. :roll: I will laugh my butt off if he holds out all year and tries to sign with another team in the off-season for WAY lower pay.

Damn rookies. :|

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
When you consider he's never played a down in the NFL and his endorsements will probably dwarf his contract, it's just stupid what he's doing.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
It's a dispute over guaranteed money from what I've read. The Raiders are just as much to blame in this. Consider last season with the Texans and Mario Williams. They already had a deal hammered out before he was drafted.

Of course, the fact that Russel is using an inexperienced group of agents/lawyers to represent him doesn't help either.

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy
It's a dispute over guaranteed money from what I've read. The Raiders are just as much to blame in this.

True, but Russell has more to lose in this than do the Raiders. He's only hurting himself, with a resurgent Culpepper wanting to play.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Signing Culpepper was a smart move. They can have Jamarcus sit out all year and pout if he wants.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
What's really retarded is that the few millions he's probably holding out over.. could be made out in endorsements.

Isn't Oakland a big market for Football ?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Squisher
When you consider he's never played a down in the NFL and his endorsements will probably dwarf his contract, it's just stupid what he's doing.

naw, when you know you're way overrated you need to get as much money as possible right away before you washout

HomerSapien

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2000
He really doesnt have much to lose since they signed culpepper. He wasnt going to start at game one anyways. He might as well bicker over all of the guaranteed money he can get since Oakland will some how find a way to screw up.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
If I were russell I would do the same thing...

it never was about the money... he'll get his payday...

the truth in principal is he doesnt want to play for the raiders... with a team of such a losing history... I wouldnt want to play for them either!!!

He'll re-enter next years draft and go play for a team with a better chance of winning... like the bears or the ravens.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
I'll put my spin on it as a sports fan. I wish I could bicker over a million more dollars.

He's being a bit of a loser and entitled pansy in my eyes. Take the damn money and be a man. Yea the Raiders have sucked it up lately but the least you could do yourself a favor grow some balls and start acting like a leader and a man. Your holdout only further alienates you from your fans and more importantly your teammates. If you want your team to do better stop acting like a fool and become a team player.

But instead he's gonna whine and cry about a million dollars when he'll make 40 million anyways...

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: sao123
If I were russell I would do the same thing...

it never was about the money... he'll get his payday...

the truth in principal is he doesnt want to play for the raiders... with a team of such a losing history... I wouldnt want to play for them either!!!

He'll re-enter next years draft and go play for a team with a better chance of winning... like the bears or the ravens.

I doubt it. He bought a house in the bay area.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Hes over rated. I dont know why they hyped him so much, he throws a floater ball way too often.

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
from what i have heard on it, the Raiders are cheap and unwilling to pay the #1 pick $$$$ that it has got for the past 10+ years.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
don't paint him as a money hungry football player, as that really isn't the case. all he is asking for is the same guarantees and incentives that every QB that has gone #1 overall has gotten and the raiders are trying to not give it to him.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: hdeck
don't paint him as a money hungry football player, as that really isn't the case. all he is asking for is the same guarantees and incentives that every QB that has gone #1 overall has gotten and the raiders are trying to not give it to him.

what's the raider's excuse for not doing so?