What's going on in the world of FPS these days?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I've been out of the FPS loop for a while. BF3 looked pretty sweet but my worry is that it will be too big for me, just like the rest of the BF games (if you dont have a vehicle you're screwed).

OTOH, i don't want Modern Warfare 10 because of the ridiculousness of lack of dedicated servers (at least with MW2), and it's a bit more arcade style.

i'm definitely not interested in a hyper realistic fps.

Crysis2 was ok for MP, but I bought the game for the SP primarily. If the MP is alive and well (and not full of cheaters like the demo) then I might fire that up.

I even contemplated reinstalling CSS for some Warcraft3mod action :D

Anything good out on the horizon? Anything I've missed?

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
lately i play a lot of nuke dawn or tribes when i'm in the mood for some FPS. tribes is probably more along your line if your into unrealistic.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
lately i play a lot of nuke dawn or tribes when i'm in the mood for some FPS. tribes is probably more along your line if your into unrealistic.

I second both of these suggestions.

Try out the new Tribes: Ascend beta. It's super easy to get an invite (I think you can just like their Facebook page or something, there's also bound to be someone with some spare invites). Think 90's oldschool-style FPS gameplay, but with 2011 graphics. It's tons of fun. Capping the enemy flag and skiing back to base at ~150 km/h with people chasing behind you gets really intense.

Nuclear Dawn is pretty great as well. The community is fairly small, but it's a FPS/RTS hybrid similar to Natural Selection. You have a commander who does the basebuilding and resource management while the FPS players on the ground capture power stations and the like. Really good stuff.

Left 4 Dead Series
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Serious Sam 3 BFE

I don't think those are FPS games :p

L4D2 is a good recommendation though.

Danthemang

Feb 13, 2012
I've been out of the FPS loop for a while. BF3 looked pretty sweet but my worry is that it will be too big for me, just like the rest of the BF games (if you dont have a vehicle you're screwed).

OTOH, i don't want Modern Warfare 10 because of the ridiculousness of lack of dedicated servers (at least with MW2), and it's a bit more arcade style.

i'm definitely not interested in a hyper realistic fps.

Crysis2 was ok for MP, but I bought the game for the SP primarily. If the MP is alive and well (and not full of cheaters like the demo) then I might fire that up.

I even contemplated reinstalling CSS for some Warcraft3mod action :D

Anything good out on the horizon? Anything I've missed?

According to your RIG you're choice are vast, If you like shooting games that are alot more click jump land shoot bla bla bla i'd recommend you Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine. Very awesome game, good graphics. Hope it helps !

Edit : NO dedicated servers, only p2p. Sometimes a pain in the *** but ... it's pretty rare I see bad connections, the game is pretty intelligent i must say. If theres a bad connection it will detect it and switch hosts until it gets a good one for MOST of the players.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Those games are FPS-RPG

First person shooter point of view, role playing game.

no they are First Person point of view games. Thay are not FPS (First Person Shooter) games like what the OP was asking about.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
no they are First Person point of view games. Thay are not FPS (First Person Shooter) games like what the OP was asking about.

We have a difference in opinion. Lets us agree that we disagree and move forward with some game suggestions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person_shooter

First-person shooter (FPS) is a video game genre that centers the gameplay on gun and projectile weapon-based combat through first-person perspective;

Since the characters in Oblivion and Skyrim can use projectile weapons, its a first person shooter - role playing game.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Those games are FPS-RPG

Not quite. Attaching the term "FPS" to a game simply because it's presented in a first-person perspective isn't correct. At most, it's a "first person RPG". (And even that doesn't really hold much water either, considering you can just as easily play in 3rd-person too.)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
We have a difference in opinion. Lets us agree that we disagree and move forward with some game suggestions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person_shooter

Since the characters in Oblivion and Skyrim can use projectile weapons, its a first person shooter - role playing game.

the FOCUS (key word there) of oblivion and skyrim is not gunplay, i can assure you that. they are first person RPG's. not FPS's (and i play from 3rd person anyway in skyrim).

as for the rest of the recommendations:

TF2: eh, doesn't really do it for me anymore
L4D/L4D2: owned, haven't tried. maybe i should :D
Space Marine: definitely should fire this back up since i've solved a multitude of networking issues. and they just released some updates.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Its been correct since the days of Doom.

Really? So any game that uses a first-person perspective - regardless of whether or not shooting a gun is the primary gameplay mechanic (primary, not secondary) - can be honestly and correctly referred to as an "FPS"? That doesn't make sense, now, does it? What does the "S" in FPS stand for again? Why even include "shooter" if you're applying the term to games that aren't shooters?

And to call Skyrim a shooter is rreeaalllly pushing it. Calling Skyrim a shooter is the equivalent of calling GTA a racing game.

Let me guess: You also think that Civilization is an RTS, and Portal is a game about putting holes in walls.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Well BF3 does have infantry only maps if that is your thing. But yeah moving on foot is quite slow.

I don't know about that. When using archery or magic they are suspiciously like shoots.

Last edited:

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
L4D/L4D2: owned, haven't tried. maybe i should :D

Like you, I own L4D2 from prior Steam sales but never installed it until recently.

Good shooting fun without too much to think about. 4 player co-op campaign reminds me of the good old days of Serious Sam, with a few more team play elements. (you have to support your team mates if you want to be successful).

As usual, it's best playing with friends, but working VOIP (unlike BF3) means it can work out good with randoms too.

Easy to get in and out of a quick match whenever you have a few free minutes.

You have nothing to lose, try it out!

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Really? So any game that uses a first-person perspective - regardless of whether or not shooting a gun is the primary gameplay mechanic (primary, not secondary) - can be honestly and correctly referred to as an "FPS"? That doesn't make sense, now, does it?

Yes, it does make sense.

OP, I would like to add fallout new vegas to the list.

Borderlands is fun, but its best with a friend.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Those games are FPS-RPG

they aren't shooters.

and hell, playing that game in FP perspective is like stabbing yourself in the face. terrible.

Oct 30, 2004
Arena-style FPS--Quake III and Unreal Tournament--have been dead for a couple years, sadly. Epic Games pretty much ended the genre by consolizing (and thus destroying) UT3 back in late 2007.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Play the Half-Life saga if you haven't, from the original, passing by Blue Shift and Opposing Force, followed by the sequel and both Episodes... now if only Black Mesa: Source could be released that would help (I.E. help convince relatively new comers to the H-L saga whom haven't played the original even once to finally experience it with relatively updated graphics, since that's exactly what turns off those new comers from even approaching the original with a kilometer-long stick).

If you did play them, then go for Quake, Quake II, then Quake IV why not. If you haven't played Prey I'd recommend it, pretty good single-player and decent multi-player (probably dead by now, but was decent about two years or so ago). If you feel like just shooting stuff without thinking and immersing your ears in some of the most immature dialog in recent video gaming history then go with Bulletstorm, or you could always give a try to Borderlands which is quite enjoyable in co-operation with people you know in real life (otherwise I wouldn't bother, with multi-player that is).

Here's a few others I can think of:

º Bioshock / Bioshock 2 (first is good, I liked it, I never played the 2nd myself)
º Serious Sam 1 / 2 [HD] / Serious Sam 3 (classics, I never played the latest one though)
º Duke Nukem Forever (heh... why not, if you can find it for like $5)
º RAGE (decent, not "bad", nothing mind-blowing, worth a go if you can find it cheap)
º F.E.A.R. 1 / 2 / 3 (I own the original, it was decent overall, good A.I. though)
º Portal 1 / 2 (first is good, second is much better, you should give the 2nd a try at least)
º Crysis / Warhead / Crysis 2 (first is good enough, Warhead has more action, I've played some of Crysis 2 on the 360 version at my counsin's place but I don't own it myself for PC, I thought it was decent, nothing much but decent nonetheless)
º Painkiller (the original and its expansion pack Battle out of Hell are quite fun, I wouldn't bother with the others though, it's very much in the veins of old-school shooting fun to burn some time, nothing else)
º Call of Duty series (the very first was excellent, the 2nd was great, the third is on the Wii, and the fourth is one of the most over-rated games in recent memory that I can think of, it wasn't "bad", just not as much as the press made it look like, after that I wouldn't bother)
º Battlefield series (1942 was superb and by now is perhaps a classic, Desert Combat gave birth to BF2 itself, I never played BF3 but I've seen it plenty of times, seems decent but probably not as fun as either 1942 or BF2, even 2142 seems better)
º Fallout 3 / New Vegas (I do consider them as first-person-shooters, there's a third-person perspective but the animations in 3rd person view are archaic to the extremes, I can't see anyone effectively playing the whole thing in 3rd person lest losing some, or a lot of your sanity but that's just me, other than that they were great games)
º S.T.A.K.L.E.R. trilogy (the first, in my humble opinion namely Shadow of Chernobyl is the best of the three thanks to its unequaled atmosphere)
º METRO 2033 (I've never played it myself, I've seen a lot of footage, supposedly in the veins of STALKER atmosphere-wise and perhaps context-wise being set in some post-apocalyptic environment, also supposedly very demanding and need a beefy PC to run at high settings)
º Cryostasis (relatively forgotten, those who played it to the end usually think it was quite decent, I never finished it myself but it's nothing bad, quite atmospheric and kind of surreal of a setting, I don't quite understand the story myself although I never could really pay much attention to it for some reason, I'll have to give it another go one day)
º Aliens VS Predator (2010 release, I've played it a bit myself... not really good in my book but then again I've played worse FPS games in the past, I guess that Colonial Marines will be better, at least I hope so)
º Left 4 dead / L4D2 (they're both multi-player focused, but not exclusively so, you can play all the maps in some sort of a chronological order of events in the short and simple story that it covers in doing so, it can be played as a single-player game, both of them, I do prefer the first myself thanks to a better more grittier and "serious" tone to it despite the inevitable humor from time to time, and L4D1's characters are more memorable, in my opinion, I own L4D2 I played it a bit and got bored of it before I made it to the end, I might continue one day)
º Mirror's Edge (I never played it myself, seen some footage, supposedly a sleeper hit and enjoyable, seems strange to me but than again I never played it, can't say much)
º Far Cry, FC2 (the first was and is still good, the 2nd has nothing to do with the first and was named FC2 probably only due to business reasons, the 2nd one can be either hated or appreciated, it's kinda both extremes, I myself couldn't stand the crazy repeated driving and malaria attacks, total game-play mechanics failures)

That's... pretty much what I can think of right now, I've surely forgotten a few especially the multi-player focused ones (such as Unreal Tournament and and so on). I hope that this list helps a bit.

Last edited: