What's college course enrollment like today? is it First cum First soft-serve?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Back in my days, we picked up our dorm phone receiver like a pleb and listened to voice prompts and keyed in facking course number and the prompt would painfully, slowly do tell you the submission / enrollment status like a FACKING CAVEMEN. You had to do this for ALL courses.

Is it still first cum first soft-serve basis? If so, I'd imagine kids would write a bot to scoop it up like Ticketmaster bot scapers? First cum or more like a lotteree basis?

I'm just hor- I mean curious.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Usually after first cum there is a bit of soft serve.
Give it a couple of minutes and have a snack.
Maybe get some fresh air

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Unlike in Back to School you are now assigned a time/date you can register for classes. It is based on where you are in your college journey with seniors getting preference and earlier registration slots.

If you register when your slot opens, and not wait 3 days before the Semester/Qtr starts you can generally get every class you need, maybe not the optimal times tho.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ugh I used to hate dealing with phone based stuff like that. I don't remember doing it for college but I remember doing it for my driver's license, to book my driving test or something like that, I forget exactly. At one point you had to enter the whole license number in the phone so if it was a letter like say, U, you had to press 8, then 2. But if you were not fast enough it would hang up on you. It was kind of tricky to do it while looking at the license then trying to remember where you're at, and then looking at keypad at same time, all while trying to do it fast and not fumble a key.

So I got frustrated and generated the audio for the key presses for the entire license sequence then called back and played it over the phone. It actually worked! I think that is the closest I've ever been to performing "phreaking". :p

As for picking courses I don't remember any kind of first come first serve. As long as enough people enrolled, you got in, otherwise the class got cancelled. That's assuming you already got accepted at that college.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Why you asking? Having a mid life crisis and thinking about getting back into the academic space?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You gotta be pretty old if you are talking about phone prompts. I even remember using a website for signing up for classes.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Your college just sucked.

I think we used Telnet to register for classes.

Dec 10, 2005
My college, in the mid 2000s, used an online system: everyone ranked their preferences during a single week, then a computer handled the actual assigning of students to classes/sections the following week. For very full classes, there was some weighting by class year, though, I believe core classes were weighted preferentially for 2nd years.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
You gotta be pretty old if you are talking about phone prompts. I even remember using a website for signing up for classes.
Define "pretty old." I used a phone prompt system for the first few years I was in college and I'm Gen Y.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The use of cum suggests to me that this is more about reeling in the ladies than actually signing up for courses.......

Basically, are the hotties like Billie Eilish seduced in the same way as 80s teenagers Tiffany and Debbie Gibson....