What's better for cooking? Stainless steel or hard anodized?

I'm thinking about buying a new set of cookware soon (I can't make EVERYTHING in my Lodge cast iron pot!) and I'm trying to decide between a set of Calphalon Hard-Anodized cookware or a set of Farberware Classic stainless cookware.

Clearly, the Farberware is cheaper (and arguably more durable, my parents have their original set they got for a wedding present 30 years ago and it looks great), and can be put in the dishwasher. It's unlikely I'll have to put them in the DW, but I'd like that option if I must.

The Calphalon set is really really nice, but more expensive. Calphalon also has a reputation for being some of the best cookware money can buy, and I'd be saving a LOT off retail for this set. Downside...it can't be run through the dishwasher.

Which would you rather have?

EDIT: I've got a $25 Amazon GC, so the total price after discounts and GC would be $150 for the Calphalon and $45 for the Farberware.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I'd get the anodized stuff because if you have plastic handles, you have to worry about them detiorating over time if you use them in the dishwasher.... and I HATE just handwashing

Originally posted by: acemcmac
I'd get the anodized stuff because if you have plastic handles, you have to worry about them detiorating over time if you use them in the dishwasher.... and I HATE just handwashing
But you can't put hard-anozided cookware in the dishwasher in the first place! BTW, the plastic handles are rated to 350 degrees, and the ones on my parents' set are in impeccable shape.

Albis

Platinum Member
May 29, 2004
i prefer the non stick pots and pans for cooking

makes life just that much easier

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Albis
i prefer the non stick pots and pans for cooking

makes life just that much easier

if you want non-stick make sure thats what you buy. I know ANALON comes in both

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
<geek>My heatsink is anodized aluminium, and you could cook an egg on it, so I suppose that's better :p</geek>

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: jumpr
Originally posted by: Howard
If you get the stainless steel cookware (I think they'll both perform quite well), you might want to pick up an oil mister such that this one: http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=121302
I usually just buy cooking spray...is this somehow better?
Well, with the mister you can use any oil that you like. Also, IIRC, there are certain drawbacks to using cooking spray on pans.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Screw the "nonstick coating" BS. Your stainless cookware will last a lifetime if you forego that crap.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
I'd go with stainless steel most any day, but only if is is stainless inside and out. For things like cooking eggs or pancakes i'd use nonstick.

I can't tell if that farberware set has thick or thin bottoms on the pans. The thicker the bottom and if it is sanwhiched copper/alu, the better the heat distribution. I have a set of thin stanless steel pots, but they do not compare to the ones that have thick sandwhiced copper/alu base plates.

It is my opinion that you'd use less water washing pots and pans by hand than using the dishwasher. You can't fit that many pots and pans in a dishwasher in the first place, so you end up using that much water for a few pots and pans.

raptor13

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wouldn't buy any stainless steel cookware that didn't have a copper layer in the bottom for heat distribution. If you're using or will ever use an electric stove, stainless can have some pretty severe hotspots without copper to help even things out. Given your choices, I'd go with the Calphalon.

That said, all of my pots, pans, and cookware (with the exception of the nonstick stuff) is All-Clad. It's more expensive, yes, but it will absolutely last you a lifetime, makes cooking anything easier and more enjoyable, and makes burning things almost impossible because the heat is so even. When you think about it, you could well be using these pots for the next 40 years. What difference does a couple hundred make over the long run? That could just be the wannabe chef in me talking but hey, whatcha gonna do? :D

I can't wait to finish my engineering degree so I can get on to going to culinary school. Good lord I love food and cooking. :cookie:

Edit: Added the link. :)

brian_riendeau

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 1999
I am switching to stainless myself. I have set of Oneida cookware, 18/10 stainless steel with thick bottoms. Stainless handles with rubber grips as well, and they are rivetted on so the handles are never coming off.

I also have some cheap stainless cookware, there is no contest. The 18/10 steel pans with thick bottoms cook much better, and are easier to clean. If you want to go with steel, do not cheap out, get something good or you will be let down.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
#1.) DO NOT buy the "Simply Calphalon" ever, it's cheaply made and thin. I screwed up &amp; bought a SC roaster, &amp; it's crap.

The SS will definitely last forever, but Farberware has a bad reputation for being difficult to honor their warranty &amp; have some quality control problems.

I'd recommend buying your stuff piece by piece, it's attractive to buy a set, but buying quality stuff as you collect Amazon GC's as they have sales is the best way to go.

I keep loosing the link, but I'd recommend these Lincoln frypans, IIRC, Glenn(?) is a big fan of them &amp; I've heard good things from other people.

http://www.servu-online.com/Re...s-Lincoln-WearEver.asp

You need a big frypan &amp; a smaller one, a couple of sauce pans &amp; you're good, and I'd mix &amp; match stainless steel &amp; anodized.

Pro cooks don't use sets that I've seen.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: jumpr
If you get the stainless steel cookware (I think they'll both perform quite well), you might want to pick up an oil mister such that this one: http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=121302
I usually just buy cooking spray...is this somehow better?
Well, with the mister you can use any oil that you like. Also, IIRC, there are certain drawbacks to using cooking spray on pans.

Could you fill us in on the drawbacks?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
you could well be using these pots for the next 40 years.

Ain't gonna happen with the stinkin' "nonstick" shlt. What a joke. It requires special utensils, scrubbing pads, and they probably charge more for 'em in the first place!

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Ornery

Ain't gonna happen with the stinkin' "nonstick" shlt. What a joke. It requires special utensils, scrubbing pads, and they probably charge more for 'em in the first place!

Why would you need a scrubbing pad? It is nonstick.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: Ornery

Why would you need a scrubbing pad? It is nonstick.

I dare you to bake some muffins in non-stick muffin pan without spraying somethig on there first. Or better yet, try baking a cake in a non stick pan with no cooking spray. Non stick just makes it easier to clean up.