What's all the drama with the FEAR producers/publishers

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
I'll link it later if I can find it. I knew nothing of this. Basically the producers and publishers of FEAR had a split - Vivendi and Monolith both retain the the rights to the content, but only Vivendi can use the brand FEAR and Monolith can't.

So to confuse things more there is the stand alone FEAR, then the separate Extraction Point, then the Gold edition that contains both, now Project Origin (which looks and feels like FEAR because it's from Monolith - but they can't call it that :D) and Vivendi is working on a "stand alone" expansion coming out called FEAR: Perseus Mandate. But they both look and play the same as the actual rights to the game are split?

Edit: found a brief article here.

Besides the AI and physics, the games not that good. They both better come up with some new game play:p. Having said that, I'll probably end up picking up both.

Project Origin Scoop on Gamespot

FEAR: Perseus Mandate

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: marmasatt

I'll link it later if I can find it. I knew nothing of this. Basically the producers and publishers of FEAR had a split - Vivendi and Monolith both retain the the rights to the content, but only Vivendi can use the brand FEAR and Monolith can't.

So to confuse things more there is the stand alone FEAR, then the separate Extraction Point, then the Gold edition that contains both, now Project Origin (which looks and feels like FEAR because it's from Monolith - but they can't call it that :D) and Vivendi is working on a "stand alone" expansion coming out called FEAR: Perseus Mandate.

Edit: found a brief article here.

Besides the AI and physics, the games not that good. They both better come up with some new game play:p. Having said that, I'll probably end up picking up both.

You know, I agreew with you; the game was repetitive. IMMENSELY so... It took me over a year to finally finish it because I got so bored about 3/4 through that I abandoned it. Eventually I finished it after I needed a break from every other game I owned. I hope whoever gets their hands in this pot adds some much needed diversification to the enemies and environments. The game was fun for the first couple of hours.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I didn't even get 3/4 into; maybe just a quarter into it before I got bored with it and put it away. It's doubtful I'll ever play it again.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
I liked it... to a point. But once you hit the office building and were trying to rescue some girl who was a hostage, it got boring and didn't pick up again until you hit the research facility where they kept what's-her-name on ice.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
I didn't even get 3/4 into; maybe just a quarter into it before I got bored with it and put it away. It's doubtful I'll ever play it again.
I didn't care for it either.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

That's the whole thing. The graphics, the physics, the AI, the effects, the slo mo - they were all cutting edge. Top notch and are still top notch. But I'm not sure what it is that makes the game so redundant after only a few hours of playing. Must be the environments, but there is just more to it than that.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: marmasatt

That's the whole thing. The graphics, the physics, the AI, the effects, the slo mo - they were all cutting edge. Top notch and are still top notch. But I'm not sure what it is that makes the game so redundant after only a few hours of playing. Must be the environments, but there is just more to it than that.

Well you run around chasing Paxtel Fetel every single mission. The Dark Environments are ok, though it's when I spend more time looking for a way out than shooting things is when I become agitated.

There's no rising action, no survival themes, no plot or story, no gore, weapons all do the same thing.... either bounce off of rubber dolls or propel things a mile in every direction. No tactics, no puzzles, no riddles, the action pace goes from hell on earth for 2 minutes than to searching for an hour in the dark while incountering some girl that likes to tease you with her slick dancing moves.

I can think of a million reasons.

Oct 30, 2004

Anyone play FEAR: Combat online multiplayer? Did that ever take off and were any custom maps released or are people stuck having to play the same old maps over and over and over.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I gave it up after a while too; it was just too repetitive. Yes, the girl was creepy. Especially in that scene where you're crawling through the vents and she does a spider-crawl in front of you. That was amazing animation. But shooting all the same enemies and seeing all the same things explode just gets boring after awhile. Playing against real people in FEAR Combat is more fun anyway. I love bicycle-kicking people from above!

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
I thought the game was great. I played both FEAR and extraction point. Scary as hell.

Nikamichi

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2003
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Anyone play FEAR: Combat online multiplayer? Did that ever take off and were any custom maps released or are people stuck having to play the same old maps over and over and over.

Fear MP is the best. I haven't had so much fun playing multiplayer since the incarnation of TFC. It's hectic and fast, just the way I like it.

There are tons of custom maps, but most servers stick to the originals.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I enjoyed the original game but felt Extraction Poimt was rather dull. It was just more of the same game. Unless these new episodes/expansion packs/whatevers add something significant to the story line and/or game play I don't see them being worth a look.

-KeithP

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I liked FEAR, but I didn't play the expansion. Not the greatest game but I enjoyed it a lot more than Prey for instance.

The ending was probably the best part of the game for me.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ayabe
I liked FEAR, but I didn't play the expansion. Not the greatest game but I enjoyed it a lot more than Prey for instance.

The expansion provided no additional answers, gameplay was identical with a couple new weapons/enemies. I just played the Perseus demo, it looked/played exactly the same. If you're looking for some more F.E.A.R this won't disappoint, but who wants more of the exact same stuff from a 2 year old game?

Wonder if they'll explain the new character's ability to slow time?

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: sirjonk
I just played the Perseus demo, it looked/played exactly the same. If you're looking for some more F.E.A.R this won't disappoint, but who wants more of the exact same stuff from a 2 year old game?

Me :p :D I'm a fan of the FEAR series, besides shooting noobs in the face with a nailgun in slow motion never gets old.

I haven't played HL2:E2 yet but I'm pretty sure it'll be just like HL2:E1 and HL2 itself, which is now 3 years old.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Originally posted by: ayabe

The expansion provided no additional answers, gameplay was identical with a couple new weapons/enemies. I just played the Perseus demo, it looked/played exactly the same. If you're looking for some more F.E.A.R this won't disappoint, but who wants more of the exact same stuff from a 2 year old game?

Wonder if they'll explain the new character's ability to slow time?

AFAIK they already did explain it, right in the beginning of the first game. Supposedly your guy has ridiculous reflexes, and to model that they allow the player to slow down time. I enjoyed FEAR, never played the expansion except for the demo though, but I agree with some other ppl here the ending for it was pretty sweet.

MrUniq

Mar 26, 2006
I'm 1/3 through the game I think. To be honest..I didn't understand the hype either. The gameplay got boring and I last played it last Nov I think. I'll pick it up again..sometime. The graphics were awsome..I think that's what sold it mostly. Game mags like to say it was underrated but it's prob as popular as it should be.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
I just played the Perseus demo, it looked/played exactly the same. If you're looking for some more F.E.A.R this won't disappoint, but who wants more of the exact same stuff from a 2 year old game?

Me :p :D I'm a fan of the FEAR series, besides shooting noobs in the face with a nailgun in slow motion never gets old.

I haven't played HL2:E2 yet but I'm pretty sure it'll be just like HL2:E1 and HL2 itself, which is now 3 years old.

EP2 is more like HL2 than EP1 (which was way too "dark underground stuff with zombies madness"). I don't see what HL2 being 3 years old has to do with it - the engine is still beautiful.

As for FEAR - good game, but the combat got repetitive. Multiplayer is where it's at.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
I don't think I ever played the FEAR multiplayer, but have played the game all of the way through probably 3 times. For me that isn't a lot - I usually beat a game to death. The gameplay sure gets repetitive very quickly.