Whats a very good Core 2 Processor for a gaming rig thats $4500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Home Slice

May 30, 2008
A $4500 gaming rig...Now thats pretty sexy. I dont really see much on the storage system you intend to use for your rig. With a budget like $4500 I believe looking into a Solid State Drive would be beneficial to you in decreasing game load times. check out a few reviews on them here @ Anandtech to see if you would consider them as being a viable addition.

MraK

Oct 12, 2003
I finally made my conclusion to what i will get for this new build for this year. First off, i have decided to stick with HP's w2408h Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor since it has HDMI which makes me interested with it (cutting cost from getting a 30" inch since the monitors of that size right now are not so up to par with high-end gaming as i have read) As for CPU, i will end up with an e8500 and OC it to 4Ghz. Motherboard i will stick to a 790i board since i will be heading towards SLI in the near future, now that leads to the videocard, i will wait and get 1 GTX280 and when games start tiring the card I'll get another GTX280. (speaking of a 790i board whats the most dependable board right now?)

I forgot to mentiong what harddrive i would be getting, i have narrowed it down to a Western Digital Raptor X 150GB harddrive.

With the optical drive im sticking to a blu-ray player/DVD burner combo drive from Pioneer. ( i wanna start watching Blu-ray movies on my computer, reason for wanting an HDMI monitor)

As for CPU cooling i will choose an air cooler from Thermalright, since im not familiar with what watercooling brands are of good quality

As for PSU it will be a XIGMATEK NRP-HC1001 1000w (multi-rail)

And as for memory I'm leaning towards some nice DDR3 1333mhz memory (4GB) 2GBx2 (Anyone care to give some brands that are great for this kind of memory?)

After reading all your posts about the ridiculous $4500 gaming PC, i narrowed it down to around $3400-$3700. I came to realize that having a very good CPU, with alot of memory (not necessarily the fastest, but fast enough for now), a very dependable motherboard, a pretty ok monitor and most of all the best Video card around, will be keep up with future gaming in the year or two to come. I mean the only real exhausting game out there is Crysis, and if my current rig could hack that game, well this new spec list of this new rig im building is good enough.

Anyone care to add anything?

Thats all i have to say now and lastly THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for sharing you knowledge and tips on what to get in building this new rig and most of all if the new specs are not balanced please let me know before i got start ordering this junk lol

Thanks again!

Final Future Gaming Rig setup====

CPU:INTEL Core 2 Duo e8500 (BX80570E8500) 3.16ghz em64t dual core w/6mb cache 1333mhz

Motherboard: a 790i MB. anyone care to tell me which is the best?

Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333mhz (still not sure what brand, but i am sure to stick with this much ram and this type)

Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor X 150GB

Optical Drive: PIONEER BDC-2202B blu-ray SATA combo DVD rw+ blu-ray player w/sw

Casing: Antec 1200 Full-tower (in case if some dont know, it has 8 fans)

PSU: XIGMATEK NRP-HC1001 1000w ATX 12v v2.2 / eps 12v v2.92 80 plus & sli ready modularized w/ active pfc power supply

Monitor: HP w2408h Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor HDMI

Aftermarket CPU cooler: Thermalright (if air) other (if watercooling)

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: demiurge3141
If I were you, for $4500, I would get a motorcycle, that will be the best gaming rig you've ever had.

No extra lives though. :/

Fistandantilis

Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: MrAK

Any other suggestions would help me a lot, Thanks in advance

As soon as all the parts get to your house, resend them to me! I'll put them to good use.:D

I am sure that this has crossed you mind a million times now, but my q6600 is the greatest thing to happen to my computer. I never have any issues.
Either way, have fun with your new rig when its done

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
There's a part of me that still thinks it's near criminal to spend $250+ on 4 GB of memory, but if you're set on a 790i board, then DDR3 it will be. Though this may be completely unfounded, my suspicion is that you could go with the brands that also make good DDR2 (G.Skill, Corsair) and be all right.

That said, if you're buying memory that fast, you may want to reconsider getting the E8500. With a good board and superfast memory, you ought to be able to push the FSB a bit more, giving you a chance to ultra-overclock a Yorkfield quadcore. Can you wait for the price drop on the Q9550 or the (non-extreme) Q9650?

Newegg doesn't list HDCP for the HP w2408h, but the reviews do, so I presume it does in fact comply with the DRM. I wouldn't go with TN panels myself, especially if I had your kind of budget, but if you're a gamer above all, then speed is of the essence. The image quality doesn't seem too bad, considering it's TN (colours and black level aren't great, but that's to be expected with TN panel). With a monitor this big, viewing angles and even backlighting matter even more than usual, so you may want to take a first-hand look at the monitor before buying.

As a gamer, you may want to push some of your budget towards top-flight speakers. It's easy to spend several hundred (or more) even without getting sucked into audiophile mysticism.

There's a series of car commercials (Hyundai?) that feature celebrities like Ben Stein advising consumers to buy Hyundai and put the savings into a bond or CD. If you want to spend the money to enjoy it now, that's of course your prerogative, but as many of us have pointed out, your returns are vastly diminshed once you start spending past $2000. Taking Ben's advice and putting the rest into savings / investment for a Nehalem or 'Westmere' system seems a good idea to me (and would be good for the country as well).

See the bistro in the review of the HP monitor? That's what I'd do with $4000+: go to Europe. Even if the sinking dollar would only let me stay a week or so on that budget. :D

MraK

Oct 12, 2003
Fistandantilis,

So your saying that Quad Core is the way to go? i mean since games are heading into the Quad Core generation little by little. Some people say get nice ram to help "super-OC" a Quad like a Q9450.

theAnimal,

sorry for the noob question, but is their really such a "harddrive", called the Velociraptor?, thats if you meant it that way of course.

Winterpool,

While others say my setup is too much, they also have said spend more on the speakers and monitor since those item will most likely last much longer that the computer, in terms of investment or dependability. You have mentioned about the $2000 barrier, should i just retrack on the parts im getting for this new build and use most on a good sound system and monitor? Speaking of monitors i just liked the HP for the HDMI effect and that it was a reasonable price for a 24' inch, then again in order to fully utilize the high-end cards, that i will get soon, i would need a bigger size monitor. So know I'm thinking of another monitor to get for this gaming rig. oh and i almost forgot regarding memory that you have mentioned in your post. So getting the BEST "DDR2" memory is better than getting DDR3 memory for this time being?

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
The Western Digital Velociraptor is supposedly the 'world's fastest SATA drive' -- 10,000 rpm. It seems to cost a dollar per GB... This is a good example of what we mean by diminishing returns!

What your computer creates in 0s and 1s has to be turned into sound and vision, and that's what you'll end up experiencing. It would clearly be silly to buy GT200-based cards and then output them to a 17-inch monitor, for example. But at a less obvious level, why not get a monitor with superior image and colour? TN panels are fast, but their quality leaves something to be desired. I also doubt you need to spend on resolutions above 1920x1200 in the near future, so I wouldn't buy a bigger monitor just to give your cards more pixels to play with.

You might want to look at something like the DoubleSight DS-263N (read ToastyX's review on p2) -- a 26-inch H-IPS panel that seems to be a budget version of the Planar PX2611W. It was available for $700 before it sold out everywhere... This monitor is recommended in the AnandTech LCD thread for office work and gaming and multimedia and Photoshopping. It's quite possibly the best all-round LCD monitor for < $800. (The Planar is available for $900 on Newegg.)

Do you need HDMI input on your monitor because you expect to connect a PS3 or Blu-ray player directly to your display? Most video cards still offer DVI outputs (though they usually come with at least one DVI-to-HDMI adapter). Pretty much all IPS panels lack HDMI inputs.

(By the way, the Dell 2408WFP so highly reviewed by AnandTech is available for $543 after coupon '594RKQ263SS63H' today. It's a great monitor, though its input lag may take it out of consideration for an extreme twitch-gamer. By the way, the Dell does take HDMI and DisplayPort input.)

And if your living situation allows it, why not get speakers that will produce some serious boom? This is just to say you probably won't notice 5 more fps for $500, but you will almost certainly notice improved video and audio output.

Why not draw up spreadsheets with the systems you could build for $2000 v $4000. I suspect you're not going to get even 25 per cent more 'real-life' performance from the extra $2000... What improvement you could obtain in your total experience would probably come, as I suggested, from spending on higher-end output peripherals (video and audio).

As to DDR3, if you are going to spend the premium on the higher-speed memory, it seemed to me that you might as well make good use of the speeds by trying to overclock a quadcore with high FSB speeds. Because most of the Yorkfield quadcores come with low multipliers, high FSB capability is essential to obtain a good overclock.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Don't most of these 45nm quads have a FSB wall at ~470? I know there will be exceptions but from what I have seen around the different forums this seems to be pretty consistent and well within DDR2. We all pretty much agree that DDR3 is a waste, why not stick with a 780 and DDR2?

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
You really should consider narrowing down to about $2000 unless you just have money to blow. The system you outlined in your last post will not give you much of an advantage. Many of your components are better by their much more fairly priced competitors by a very narrow margin, if at all. Realistically, you're not going to see any tangible benefits by choosing those components.

MraK

Oct 12, 2003
true, but tbh i'm not really an alienware fan, never was. no offense though *lkm972*

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: MrAK
I forgot to mentiong what harddrive i would be getting, i have narrowed it down to a Western Digital Raptor X 150GB harddrive.

You should get the new Raptor 300 GB drives. They're the shizzle. They just came out and blow everything else away, even the old Raptors, and they're not that pricey considering. RAID 0 a couple of those puppies and the system will execute tasks before you think of them. Not sure any SSD drive can match them at present.

Winterpool is also correct about that DoubleSight monitor - best bang for the buck out there.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Cheesetogo
You really should consider narrowing down to about $2000

Try $1000. When it starts to feel slow, throw the entire thing in the garbage and build a new one. You get 4 tries ;)

Don't waste your money on fast hard drives. Is it really worth paying an extra $100 or $200 to save 10 seconds of load time when you first start Quake Wars? It seems silly that a 50gb and 500gb drive can cost the same amount, and all the smaller one does is load things slightly faster.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
spend more of you're budget on monitor and speakers. they will probably last at least 5 years

also +1 for splitting the budget. it much more wiser to save some money if a few additional hundreds or thousands of dollars will only give you a small boost.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
Originally posted by: Cheesetogo
You really should consider narrowing down to about $2000

Try $1000. When it starts to feel slow, throw the entire thing in the garbage and build a new one. You get 4 tries ;)

Don't waste your money on fast hard drives. Is it really worth paying an extra $100 or $200 to save 10 seconds of load time when you first start Quake Wars? It seems silly that a 50gb and 500gb drive can cost the same amount, and all the smaller one does is load things slightly faster.

Totally disagree. Disk I/O is the biggest bottleneck in any system. You're better off spending a tad less on CPU and more on disk I/O as it promotes a well-balanced system. Besides, it's stupid to have a low-end disk subsystem matched with tons of RAM and a fast CPU. For $2K, you can have a really well-balanced system.

MraK

Oct 12, 2003
I seem to agree very much with Dadofamunky and jaredpace when it comes to hard-drive. I know this is off topic and it will be a "noob" question but, what does it mean when your hard-drives are in Raid 0"? Im new to that, i mean i have heard of Raid for a couple of years now but what is it, faster loading times than using one raptor? better loading times when it comes to opening a program or when gaming loading to a new level or something like that?

And finally "on-topic" I have read on this section somewhere that there will be cpu price cuts in July due to the fact, i assume, that the new Nehalem processors are coming out. Should just get a nice Quad Core from y system, not extreme, but maybe a Q9550?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
Totally disagree. Disk I/O is the biggest bottleneck in any system. You're better off spending a tad less on CPU and more on disk I/O as it promotes a well-balanced system. Besides, it's stupid to have a low-end disk subsystem matched with tons of RAM and a fast CPU. For $2K, you can have a really well-balanced system.

It's a bottleneck, but the small difference of loading things a bit faster isn't worth spending a few hundred dollars. My computer still has some shitty drives from about 2002, 5400rpm with 2mb cache, and they don't seem to slow the system down very much. The only time I really start to notice hard drive lag is if I'm decompressing very large files. I play video games quite a bit, and the only game with slow loading times is Quake Wars.

MraK

Oct 12, 2003
Hmm you have a point there ShawnD1, thinking of getting a 150GB Raptor and a 300-500 slave drive for movies,pics, and any other things i might save up, since i plan to use the raptor for my games and OS

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
RAID 0 is very contentious -- its benefits disputed, its risks real. But I suppose so long as you keep your critical data on another drive (say, a typical 7200rpm drive outside your RAID array), and you conduct regular backups (you do regular backups, right?), the downside won't be too severe. Whether you'll see any real gains, well... just look it up on Google, and you'll see the debate fought up and down this star system.

You should visit Storage Review's forums if you're keen on maximising disk I/O.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
The Velociraptor costs less per GB than the old Raptor, plus it's quieter and cooler.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
if you're looking to go raid 0, get 2x WD6400AAKS. Those bad boys got an incredible write-up from techreport, plus can be had for as little as $99. As a bonus, it's 640gb instead of 300, so you'll probably get a lot more usable lifespan out of it.