What's a reliable, relatively inexpensive car with leg and head room?

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I might be moving soon, and if I do, I'd like to buy a house rather than continue renting an apartment. I'm currently paying $650 a month for a two bedroom, and I'd like to put that to better use by paying off a mortgage and building some equity rather than lining an apartment owner's pocket.

The best way for me to do that would be to trade in my Durango :)brokenheart;) and get a more inexpensive vehicle. If I move I won't be needing a truck for work anymore, so it'll be easy.

Any ideas or suggestions as far as models go? Leg and head room are very important; I'm 6'5". I had a Taurus before and even that wasn't comfortable all of the time.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Depends on what you would constitute as inexpensive... I've heard the Toyota Echo has lots of heat/foot room. That is the reason the roof looks too high, they designed it with taller/fatter Americans in mind. :)

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Taurus before and even that wasn't comfortable all of the time..."

What made you think it would be? :confused:

I'm not going to recommend a G. Marquis, though they may be VERY reliable, they don't have that much room. I don't see how our patrolmen can stand them! An older Town Car is dependable, with more room than the Crown Vics, but still not as much room as you're use to in the truck. Why not buy an older full size pickup? Whether you "need" one or not takes a backseat to comfort, IMO. They're also VERY safe and easy to repair, as well as durable.

Mar 15, 2003
Hmmm.. New or used?? Used crown vics are very affordable, safe and rooomy... New.. Hmm.. Hyundai (don't laugh.. I own one) Elantras are the cheapest car that you're going to find that's somewhat roomy (I'm 6' and it's fine for me).. Camry's are great values but not inexpensive IMO.. Inexpensive is really relative.. To a college kid like myself an elantra was inexpensive while a camry would be excessive.. If I was a family guy that had a job I would have picked up a camry or an accord...

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery
"Taurus before and even that wasn't comfortable all of the time..."

What made you think it would be? :confused:

I'm not going to recommend a G. Marquis, though they may be VERY reliable, they don't have that much room. I don't see how our patrolmen can stand them! An older Town Car is dependable, with more room than the Crown Vics, but still not as much room as you're use to in the truck. Why not buy an older full size pickup? Whether you "need" one or not takes a backseat to comfort, IMO. They're also VERY safe and easy to repair, as well as durable.

Yeah, I was thinking of a 98-'00 F-150 maybe.

I definitely want to do used rather than new; my car payment is almost 600 a month, if I cut that in half that frees up enough budget to be able to afford a pretty nice house. ;)

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Since you had a Ford before... how about getting a mid 90's or so Grand Marquis or Crown Victoria.. they are reliable, not very expensive, and large.

Aug 16, 2001
Olds Eighty Eight ('95 - '98).

Pros:
Comfortable and roomy
Cheap
Low insurance
Good power
Good fuel mileage
Reliable and easy to repair if you need to.

Cons:
Considered an 'Old mans car'

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Olds Eighty Eight ('95 - '98).

Pros:
Comfortable and roomy
Cheap
Low insurance
Good power
Good fuel mileage
Reliable and easy to repair if you need to.

Cons:
Considered an 'Old mans car'

A Buick LeSabre's the same basic thing. It's the GM 3800 engine that makes these Buicks and Oldsmobiles what they are. They're generally very good cars, and it's not too hard to find one that's in great shape. Because they're domestic, they're a great used car deal.

That said, if you can find a decent deal on a 2000 Maxima, especially without a sunroof, you'll find that to be one of the roomiest cars around.