What's a good salary at age 24?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OpenThirdEye

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Wapp
Originally posted by: OpenThirdEye
I'm 27 w/ a college degree...CCNP...CISSP...CEH...a few SANS "certifications"...

Pulling in roughly $87k/year...but with all my debt that i'm trying to recover from college and being jobless for a while after graduation...it feels like A LOT less. :(

Location?

Indiana of all places...

...yeah...I was amazed too.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
At 24 I was making ~$25k. That was 10 years ago.

No degree. I was working in Pharmaceutical Process Development.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
I highly doubt the average salary for age 24 is anywhere near even $30,000 a year....lots of people still in college or still figuring out what they want to do.

Average family income is 70,000, split that its 35,000. If you are 24 and starting a family with that salary you are around average, which is not where you want to be with a degree or experience in your field.

Associates Degree
2 years experience
MCDST
23 yrs old (not starting a family, but hey I'm getting a raise soon)
Tampa, FL
I'm One lucky S.O.B - buddies have twice the qualifications and making half. Its all relevent.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: MrLee
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
I highly doubt the average salary for age 24 is anywhere near even $30,000 a year....lots of people still in college or still figuring out what they want to do.

Average family income is 70,000, split that its 35,000. If you are 24 and starting a family with that salary you are around average, which is not where you want to be with a degree or experience in your field.

IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE. Average household income where I live in Indiana is $35k. Yes - that's not a typo.

AznSensation

Dec 26, 2004
I'm 20 in college, and I make $32.50/hr. I tutor middle/high school kids. The cool thing is that the kids aren't that bright and even their parents are aware of this. So, from time to time, we go out and eat at nice restaurants, go to places, etc instead of me teaching them. Their parents still pay me.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: JS80
I made $80k last year at age of 24. I have zero savings after student loan payments, rent, cost of living. And I own my car with no note.

You need to make at least $120k/year in socal to have an active social life.

What about the investments you post about? :confused:

haha, savings =/= investments.

I was saying my cash flow from my salary nets to zero after I pay all my obligations. I do have a leveraged portfolio.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Depending on experience, location, position, and just about every other possible factor, I can only give a range of
"what it takes to survive PLUS some sort of savings/investment for long term future use" on the low and, and "filthy stinkin rich" on the high end.

As long as you are making somewhere in that range, then you are doing OK.