what's a GOOD, QUIET, CHEAP power supply?

Toadster

Nov 21, 1999
scoop.intel.com
looking for something fanless or low speed fan that has NO sound for a PC i'm building... the owner had a low-end DELL previously and you could hear the harddrive over teh fans (it was THAT quiet!)

so i'm looking to upgrade to a better machine - but keep LOW noise levels

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
A lot of that was the case. Dell has some very nice, quiet cases. I'd look in that direction for quieting a pc.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: lxskllr
A lot of that was the case. Dell has some very nice, quiet cases. I'd look in that direction for quieting a pc.

Cases can only be as quiet as the components inside. True some cases are better at dampening noise, but the fans play a bigger part in noise than the case does. If you open up the dell case you'll find it still isn't noisy inside.

A case is only as quiet as the fans inside it. Don't expect to be able to put your 110CFM fans in that "quiet" case and have it silent ;)

Toadster

Nov 21, 1999
scoop.intel.com
Originally posted by: moonbit
Define "cheap"

< $40

this isn't a performance system, just a simple 3.4P4/HT, 1 hard drive, and a smallish ATI 1600 video card... it's still lightyears faster than the older Celeron 2.0Ghz w. onboard video ;)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Rockhound1

I would include power supplies from Seasonic in this list, but they are not "cheap".

Of course ... I have a 700 watt Seasonic in my main PC for just that reason, but it cost a lot closer to $200 then $100.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Toadster
Define "cheap"

< $40

this isn't a performance system, just a simple 3.4P4/HT, 1 hard drive, and a smallish ATI 1600 video card... it's still lightyears faster than the older Celeron 2.0Ghz w. onboard video ;)
A 300W PSU would be plenty for your system. There's plenty of good cheap ones from FSP, Sparkle, the Silverstone that Capitante mentioned is good but you don't even need that much power...
just don't get conned into buying a 500W PSU.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: magreen
Define "cheap"

< $40

A 300W PSU would be plenty for your system. There's plenty of good cheap ones from FSP, Sparkle, the Silverstone that Capitante mentioned is good but you don't even need that much power...
just don't get conned into buying a 500W PSU.

I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

The 300 watt Enhance ENP-5130GH is one of the best 300 watt PSUs available, and has plenty of power for your build.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Rockhound1
Originally posted by: Captante
Enhance ENP-5150G ATX - 500W @ $64 + shipping

Enhance ENP-5240G ATX - 400W @ $46 + shipping

SILVERSTONE SST-ST365 ATX - 360W @ $35 + shipping

FSP Group (Fortron Source) ATX - 350W @ $29 + shipping

Anything less then this & you can forget the "GOOD" part unless you buy used off FS/FT.

I would include power supplies from Seasonic in this list, but they are not "cheap".

..at one time Sparkle was a favorite out here.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
For years I had been buying cheaper PSUs and it eventually cought up to me. I lost some hardware when a antec SM blew on me. I have since bought a Corsair H520 that was on sale for 99 bucks, its made by Seasonic and will last you a really long time and is really stable and smooth and runs really cool to boot. Putting a cheapo PSU in your new computer is like putting a yugo engine in a lexus, sure its gonna move you for a while but eventually its gonna let you down.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: manimal
For years I had been buying cheaper PSUs and it eventually cought up to me. I lost some hardware when a antec SM blew on me. I have since bought a Corsair H520 that was on sale for 99 bucks, its made by Seasonic and will last you a really long time and is really stable and smooth and runs really cool to boot. Putting a cheapo PSU in your new computer is like putting a yugo engine in a lexus, sure its gonna move you for a while but eventually its gonna let you down.

Don't confuse cheap with junk. The 330 watt S12 is built on the same design and uses the same high quality components (just smaller variants) as the 500+ watt units. If you only need 200-250 watts DC (the vast majority of the systems here) there isn't anything that the 500 watt unit will do that the 330 will besides cost you more money.

The same can be said for many of the lower wattage FSP units and the 80+ units from Enhance.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Good, cheap, quiet should never be in the same sentence regarding a PSU!

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Investment wise spending another 30-40 bucks for something thats gonna run below 80 percent seems like a good idea. Even if its efficiency is good at 300 watts your gonna run out of room to grow faster than you can shake a stick at. Adding multiple HDs and fans and the like will eventually eat up those 300 watts. Smart money looks long term, not just today.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: bob4432
i just picked up one of these FSP units for a build that is sitting on the kitchen table - damn thing is near silent

That would be my choice. Indeed I've purchased three of those (and two of the 400W versions of the "GLN").

looking for something fanless or low speed fan

Do not go fanless. I still have an Antec Phantom that is now just a test PSU because it wasn't suitable for constant use.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: manimal
Investment wise spending another 30-40 bucks for something thats gonna run below 80 percent seems like a good idea. Even if its efficiency is good at 300 watts your gonna run out of room to grow faster than you can shake a stick at. Adding multiple HDs and fans and the like will eventually eat up those 300 watts. Smart money looks long term, not just today.

Wrong.

Power Supply Fundamentals / Power Distribution within Six PCs

jondl

Aug 16, 2005
Go with the FSP. I've built countless machines for friends with that same PSU and never had any problems. Quiet and reliable sums it up.