what's a good overclock utility

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
or something that doesn't have to stay in the notification area all the time?

i have a Galaxy 8800GT. it's clocked at 600mhz core and 1.8ghz RAM.

thanks...

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
You have to check the boxes "Run at Windows Startup" and "Send to Tray on Close" on the Settings tab, as well as to check the red dot on the Hardware Monitoring menu to "Enable Background Monitoring" once you've set up everything to your liking. Then you shouldn't have to bother with it again until you need to change something.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Rivatuner takes about 5MB. The only way that you're going to be able to overclock your card without running an overclocking app at startup is to flash the card's BIOS with the desired clocks.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
You can either stop being anal, or don't overclock your videocard. Or flash the bios, which is a little more risky for sure.

Lozzo

Aug 6, 2007
Rivatuner.

Set clocks, then close program.

Ok, means you have to fire up Rivatuner every time you wish to bump your clocks up, but that's how I do it here. Leave the card stock for when I'm just fiddling about, and then bump the clock up for gaming.

SorryImLate

Jan 3, 2008
Originally posted by: iskim86
i see. that;'s unfortunate. i'm really anal about my startup programs and other windows miscellanea. :(

you dont have to have it in your start up. That is an option you select. By default it wont be in your start up

SorryImLate

Jan 3, 2008
Originally posted by: Lozzo
Rivatuner.

Set clocks, then close program.

Ok, means you have to fire up Rivatuner every time you wish to bump your clocks up, but that's how I do it here. Leave the card stock for when I'm just fiddling about, and then bump the clock up for gaming.

Thats what i have been doing also.

Set you clocks with rivatuner
Download ATI tool
Open ATI Tool and check for artifacts.

How to use Rivatuner

This link goes through everything you can do with the program but i only use the overclocking. Might be a lil out of date but its close to the newest version.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
i see. that;'s unfortunate. i'm really anal about my startup programs and other windows miscellanea. :(

Why? Are you short on ram or something?

Besides, memory not being used is a waste.

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
Originally posted by: EarthwormJim

Why? Are you short on ram or something?

Besides, memory not being used is a waste.

no just anal retentive. it's a problem. i have 4 gigs of ram

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
wait a second, if I need ATI tool to check for artifacts and it can also overclock, why don't i just use ATI tool to overclock and check for artifacts? what makes rivatuner the best in its class?

Lozzo

Aug 6, 2007
wait a second, if I need ATI tool to check for artifacts and it can also overclock, why don't i just use ATI tool to overclock and check for artifacts? what makes rivatuner the best in its class?

Familiarity, small footprint (if you can bear leaving it running in the background, that is.. ;) ) , and it gives you some nice monitoring/reg tweak options too.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I don't use ATItool for artifacts... I use 3dmark06 and real games for that.

Just use Rivatuner and let it be.

*waits for new thread about disabling UAC for Rivatuner*