What's a good online source for buying bulk beef?

Page 109 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
https://www.restaurantdepot.com/ has opened all of their warehouse stores to the general public. Excellent source of bulk beef.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to hit Restaurant Depot next week to buy some spices and maybe buy some meat. But I bought like 50 pounds of beef ribeyes the past week so I have plenty of beef. But I might pickup 40 lb box of chicken wings. Wholesale chicken wing prices have dropped because COVID-19 have reduced restaurant demand so bulk wing prices are down like $1 /lb over this time last year. So box of wings is like $40 cheaper now. Which is crazy because you can't even find retail packaged wings at regular grocery stores right now. And if you can, it's the same regular price because the excess supply is in the restaurant market and not the home consumer market. Retail packaging requires different labels than bulk restaurant market.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thanks for the info. I'm going to hit Restaurant Depot next week to buy some spices and maybe buy some meat. But I bought like 50 pounds of beef ribeyes the past week so I have plenty of beef. But I might pickup 40 lb box of chicken wings. Wholesale chicken wing prices have dropped because COVID-19 have reduced restaurant demand so bulk wing prices are down like $1 /lb over this time last year. So box of wings is like $40 cheaper now. Which is crazy because you can't even find retail packaged wings at regular grocery stores right now. And if you can, it's the same regular price because the excess supply is in the restaurant market and not the home consumer market. Retail packaging requires different labels than bulk restaurant market.

You guys can buy from restaurant supply places without a commercial account?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
You guys can buy from restaurant supply places without a commercial account?

Restaurant Depot just opened its doors to the public. Previously you needed a business license to get in.

My buddy sells ties on eBay & pays $75 a year for his LLC license just so he can shop there lol. Same idea as a Costco or Sam's Club, but on a more massive scale. I bought a 25-pound box of chicken nuggets last time I was there, it was amazing haha.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Restaurant Depot just opened its doors to the public. Previously you needed a business license to get in.

My buddy sells ties on eBay & pays $75 a year for his LLC license just so he can shop there lol. Same idea as a Costco or Sam's Club, but on a more massive scale. I bought a 25-pound box of chicken nuggets last time I was there, it was amazing haha.

I just saw that on the news and there's one close enough to get to, but not close enough to just pop in. What are their bulk meat prices like? Off the top of your head any guess on the price per pound of ground beef, london broil, chicken wings, thighs and boneless chicken breast?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I just saw that on the news and there's one close enough to get to, but not close enough to just pop in. What are their bulk meat prices like? Off the top of your head any guess on the price per pound of ground beef, london broil, chicken wings, thighs and boneless chicken breast?

No idea tbh. Most stuff is sold in big boxes, fwiw. Here's an older video, it's basically like a Costco but all of the sizes are ridiculous:

After you shop there for the first time, you can register online (you need a member ID to login) & it will show you the prices in your local area. I mooch off my buddy when he goes so I don't have an account unfortunately haha.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It's pretty close to Costco Business Center prices. I can tell you Costco Business Center prices. 80/20 ground beef is around $2.84 /lb. I don't know about London Broil since my Business Center doesn't sell that cut. All chicken is sold in 40 /lb cases only. Case of chicken wings should be around $1.74 /lb. Case of thighs about $0.64 /lb. Boneless and skinless thighs about $1.14 /lb. Boneless and skinless chicken breasts about $1.44 /lb.

Beef and pork are easy for me to buy since everything is vacuum sealed. Chicken is more of a problem because 40 lb box requires me to use it all right away or I have to vacuum seal everything into smaller portions myself. So I don't normally buy chicken unless it's at great discount. One time I picked up case of chicken quarters for around $8. That's like $0.20 /lb. The only thing I'm interested right now are the wings because it's around $1 /lb savings right now and really hard to find at regular grocery stores.

Reactions: OccamsToothbrush

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
It's pretty close to Costco Business Center prices. I can tell you Costco Business Center prices. 80/20 ground beef is around $2.84 /lb. I don't know about London Broil since my Business Center doesn't sell that cut. All chicken is sold in 40 /lb cases only. Case of chicken wings should be around $1.74 /lb. Case of thighs about $0.64 /lb. Boneless and skinless thighs about $1.14 /lb. Boneless and skinless chicken breasts about $1.44 /lb.

Beef and pork are easy for me to buy since everything is vacuum sealed. Chicken is more of a problem because 40 lb box requires me to use it all right away or I have to vacuum seal everything into smaller portions myself. So I don't normally buy chicken unless it's at great discount. One time I picked up case of chicken quarters for around $8. That's like $0.20 /lb. The only thing I'm interested right now are the wings because it's around $1 /lb savings right now and really hard to find at regular grocery stores.

Thanks. Probably not worth a trip then, about the only thing I'd be willing to buy 40 pounds at a time would be breasts. Fortunately I have lots of that now, it was on sale locally for $1.49 shortly before the shit hit the fan and I bought about 30 pounds or so.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Reactions: stargazr

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
i don't think i've been on this forum in over a decade but i think i finally have the answer for what "bulk beef" is.

This is amazing.
JnGBpDN.jpg

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, they didn't have quality home meat delivery services like Butcher Box back in 2005. The OP was ahead of his time!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
One of my coworker is on a meat diet, I don't know how he does it, but he eats literally only meat. No vegetables, no sauce, nothing else.

Needless to say, he does buy bulk beef. A whole cow at a time, in fact. :eek:

I'd guess it's about the size of a 1 or 2 megawatt alternator give or take.

LmpwZw

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan
Nov 17, 2019
https://www.restaurantdepot.com/ has opened all of their warehouse stores to the general public. Excellent source of bulk beef.
Not.

-----------
Once you’ve completed the application, visit the store you selected as your Preferred Store. Be sure to bring a valid reseller's permit (business license) and tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and proof that you are authorized to purchase for that business or organization. If you wish to purchase beer, wine or spirits, also bring your state license. The store will then print a membership card for you.

*To qualify for a free membership account, you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Not.

-----------
Once you’ve completed the application, visit the store you selected as your Preferred Store. Be sure to bring a valid reseller's permit (business license) and tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and proof that you are authorized to purchase for that business or organization. If you wish to purchase beer, wine or spirits, also bring your state license. The store will then print a membership card for you.

*To qualify for a free membership account, you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.
Did you look at the membership page? https://www.restaurantdepot.com/membership/signup
*Restaurant Depot offers memberships only to businesses... If you do not have a business, you can shop with a day pass. Just stop off at the Reception desk on your way in.

Don't qualify for membership? Shop with a day pass or get access to most of our items on instacart

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
One of my coworker is on a meat diet, I don't know how he does it, but he eats literally only meat. No vegetables, no sauce, nothing else.

LmpwZw
*generator

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

LmpwZw
it ain't really "only meat" unless he rediscovered the instincts of the wild and he starts eating liver, heart, brain, etc. (Testicles too)