What's a good drink for an alcohol n00b?

MrCraphead

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
I'm going to Taiwan later this week, and overseas, the drinking age is 18, airplane ride included.

So, I was wondering what's a good first drink to start off with? I'm 19 and believe it or not, I've never had any alchohol at all so any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

MrCraphead

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
lol, can you get that legally? I thought that was an illegal drink......and isn't it like 99% alcohol? :)

MrCraphead

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
what's that mean? :) I know of lots of drinks, but not sure which is the best one to try. I just wanna try it out, I don't intend to get addicted. Personally, I think beer smells horrible and I don't think it tastes any better......waking up with a hangover or binge drinking doesn't appeal to me either......

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
I don't know what they sell over in Taiwan, but around here drinks like Mike's Hard Lemonade and Smirnoff Ice is popular with the underage kid crowd. It goes down easy and has a kick. I personally find them too sweet, but I prefer regular old beer anyway.

divinemartyr

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2000
Some of my favorites are:

Stoli Cape Cod w/ a twist of lime
Mudslide
Sex on the Beach
Sea Breeze
Tequila Sunrise
Hurricane
Pina Colada
Frozen Margarita
Skyy Screwdriver
7 & 7 (7-up and Seagram's 7)

Everyone's individual tastes will vary but those are some of my favorites. A few are hard, a few are fruity, and a few are inbetween. Have fun, but be careful.

dm

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
If you are going on vacation in Taiwan, the LAST then you want to do is get totally wasted, especially since you are not a regular consumer of alcohol.

Stay away from the hard stuff, and don't drink too much. A night of partying won't seem worth it the day after when instead of sight-seeing you have to stay at the hotel puking all day.

bonk102

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
everclear is absolutely positively the most powerful alcohol you will ever come across, but yeah you can get it in some states (not new york, damn pataki), anyways, smirnoff ice or hooch would be a good jumping off point, or possible some Malibu Rum ( or Parrot Bay) and coke, or just them straight, Soutern Comfort is also another good starting liquor becuase the taste ins't bad and the alcohol content is pretty good

ElPool

Oct 11, 2000
if your a new drinker, you DONT want someting that tastes really good, you want something that tastes like butt, that way you wont drink too much. just go with some light beer.

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001

<< I don't know what they sell over in Taiwan, but around here drinks like Mike's Hard Lemonade and Smirnoff Ice is popular with the underage kid crowd. It goes down easy and has a kick. I personally find them too sweet, but I prefer regular old beer anyway.

Stoli Cape Cod w/ a twist of lime
Mudslide
Sex on the Beach
Sea Breeze
Tequila Sunrise
Hurricane
Pina Colada
Frozen Margarita
Skyy Screwdriver
7 &amp; 7 (7-up and Seagram's 7)
>>

Those are all pussy drinks. I've had girls make fun of me when I requested a &quot;Sex on the Beach&quot; at parties. I'd recommend that you get yourself some rum, that's a real mans drink. Or some beer. Can't go wrong with that either. But if you must resort to drinking sweet tasting, low proof alcoholic drinks, I'd strongly recommend that you at least have some class and get yourself some wine. I personally like the red wines a lot, like Merlot or Medoc, or Cabernet Sauvignon... Mmmmmm... Now I'm thirsty.

Redwingsguy

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2000
I dont know if theres something wrong with me, but I accually like the taste of straight Vodka, it kinda lights up my mouth and I can feel it all the way down. But my friends think Vodka tastes like butt, they really like Godiva, but I think that tastes too much like the chocolate and way too sweet. Drink little bits of colorful things I guess until you find something you like! And dont let anyone talk you into having beer, that stuff tastes like butt!!

MrCraphead

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
wow, so many suggestions! I'd probably just end up getting some red wine on the plane. Don't know if airlines have that other stuff. :)

As for once i'm in Taiwan, well, I'll have to ask my mommy first. ;)

joinT

Lifer
Jan 19, 2001

<< if your a new drinker, you DONT want someting that tastes really good, you want something that tastes like butt, that way you wont drink too much. just go with some light beer. >>

very good advice - except I say get a mudslide. Alcohol isn't so high &amp; it tastes like Chocolate Milk :)

pudcox

Nov 12, 2000
for one that is not too strong and tastes really good i recommend a seabreeze...made from malibu rum and pineapple juice ....tasty and easy going for beginners.

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
Jungle Juice-Everclear+V8 Splash or any other fruit juice+fresh cut up fruit, let it sit over night and you wont even taste the alcohol.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Prairie Fire. (I feel evil today) :D

Seriously, though, stay away from the shots if you have never had alcohol before. You probably won't like beer either, it is an acquired taste. Get a mixed drink... something simple like a rum and coke would work or any of the fruity drinks people have mentioned.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Kir (or Kir Royale) is a great beginners drink, it's white wine (or champange for Kir Royale) with a healthy dose of Chambord. Duck farts (equal parts Bailey's, Kahlua, and Crown Royal) are another good tasting drink. Just use moderation and common sense while imbibing.