what's a good auto insurance company?

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
i've been with mine for about 17 years, but i think it's time to change. which company has the best customer service and ease of filing claim, etc?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I've not had to file a claim myself, but I have been hit by people with AllState, State Farm and Progressive. Of those, AllState was ok to work with, but you really have to be aggressive. State Farm was very difficult to work with and required extreme nudging. Progressive was the easiest to deal with and offered what I wanted before I even asked.

Currently, I'm using Travelers and they seem to be good, but the mostly collect a check each month. To me, the smaller regional insurers seem to have the best rates and are the most flexible. Motorist Mutual and Ohio Casualty Group was who I used while in Ohio. I found it was better to go through a local agent and have them find the best rates as they know how to work the policies in your favor.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
If you qualify, USAA hands down.

I've been very happy with Progressive, but I've never had to file a claim.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
all good info. thanks. wish usaa was available to the general public.

what about Amica? They seem to be high on the JDPowers survey

Dec 30, 2004
all good info. thanks. wish usaa was available to the general public.

what about Amica? They seem to be high on the JDPowers survey

The subset of the public that is allowed to purchase USAA also happens to be the low-risk safe-drivers type. If they opened it up to everyone our rates would go up. Veiled racism at its finest. It's probably 90% conservative white people on their books.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I've had Wawanesa for a while now...can only speak about one claim I filed (comprehensive) that was painless.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The subset of the public that is allowed to purchase USAA also happens to be the low-risk safe-drivers type. If they opened it up to everyone our rates would go up. Veiled racism at its finest. It's probably 90% conservative white people on their books.

You should read up on how USAA started. The perception was quite the opposite.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
wow, progressive comes up almost 1k lower a year than my current ins co. time to switch

Insomnihacks

Feb 8, 2011
USAA has always been great to me. Especially bundling my renter's insurance along with auto helped substantially. Their customer service has always been top notch. I'd have to say it's the best military oriented insurance company out there.

Every time I've ever called and asked a question about something their staff has been extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Though it's not open to the public, I couldn't imagine being with anyone else. Damn I love being a Vet.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
USAA's customer service has always been awesome for me. I have yet (knock on wood) to be involved in an accident, but I've moved 4 times in the last year and they've handled all of the changes (both car and renter's insurance) flawlessly. I went through them for the loan on my bike. I wish they insured motorcycles.

I'm lucky that I got USAA through my dad.

Vetterin

Aug 31, 2004
USAA has always been great to me. Especially bundling my renter's insurance along with auto helped substantially. Their customer service has always been top notch. I'd have to say it's the best military oriented insurance company out there.

Every time I've ever called and asked a question about something their staff has been extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Though it's not open to the public, I couldn't imagine being with anyone else. Damn I love being a Vet.

+1. Besides insuring my 3 cars and home with USAA I have also started switching some of my investments to them.

Feb 10, 2000
I have used USAA since early 1999, and been nothing but pleased. I have filed something like $35K in claims during this time (only about $2K of which was my fault - an at-fault accident in 2003 - with the rest paid out for a stolen car, a vandalized car, and a parked car badly damaged by an uninsured driver). They have been a pleasure in every respect. I use USAA for my banking, mortgage, homeowner's insurance, and many of my investments as well.

I don't think it's fair to call USAA's membership policy "thinly veiled racism" in that it allows service members to join, regardless of their race and sex. Since the US military has, for example, a greater percentage of African-Americans than the population as a whole, USAA is disproportionately available to African-Americans.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000

I have been with USAA since I got my drivers license at 16 (now 48). They are a shadow of their former selves. After dealing with State Farm when I was rear ended (other driver's insurance) I am seriously thinking about switching to them.

-KeithP

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I've always been with statefarm.

Most if not all insurance companies got through the same insurers. So the difference between your progressive and your esurance is likely the % they want to up charge you to provide you with coverage.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I've always had AAA and never had a problem. Their rates have always been the lowest for me as well. I should try and see what USAA would cost.. Would need one of my parents to sign up with them first though.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
You really should evaluate your insurer every three years or so-they have absolutely no loyalty to you, no reason to be loyal to them.

Personally I have Liberty Mutual now and am very happy with them. Only very minor claims like glass damage, etc. and their phone agents are always very helpful to me in finding ways to reduce costs on my home or car insurance (tip-always get both from the same company for a discount). When I signed up with Liberty Mutual they actively sought affinities that I had that could reduce my cost (turns out they had a discount for the college I attended, something I never expected).

Allstate had a bad reputation for both service and cost but have really turned it around in the last five years or so.

Amica-I know a lot of people who love them, personally I hate their business model of overcharging you and then giving you a dividend at the end of the year.