What's a fun, cheap roadster

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I've been looking around for a fun little 2 seater convertible for a weekend car. Preferably older, cheap, and easy to work on.

I really don't know what to look for. I've been looking at MX-5's, MR-2's, etc. Older MX-5's (Miatas) seem like too much of a chick car.

I'm open to pretty much anything. What do you recommend?

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
Originally posted by: CurseTheSky
I see far more guys driving Miatas (at least around here) than females.

the stereotype is gay dudes, not chicks.

miata's really the only choice if it has to be cheap. and you're not tall. otherwise you'll have to spring for an s2000 or an older bimmer.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Well-kept BMW Z3s can be found for relatively cheap, and many were just used as weekenders.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Originally posted by: brblx

miata's really the only choice if it has to be cheap. and you're not tall. otherwise you'll have to spring for an s2000 or an older bimmer.

Aha, didn't know that. Hey, at least there are several Miatas running around with LS1's under the hood to throw a wrench in the stereotype. :p

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Honestly, who gives a shit what the stereotype is...

The Miata is a fun little car. If you're so hung up on whether people think you're gay or not I suggest you just buy a Corvette...then people will just think you're a straight dude with a small cock having a mid-life crisis.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
and i drive a jetta, which is stereotypically driven by females.

i didn't say i cared, i was just pointing out what it was. my experience has been that most miatas are actually driven by 30-50 year old married men.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Honestly, who gives a shit what the stereotype is...

The Miata is a fun little car. If you're so hung up on whether people think you're gay or not I suggest you just buy a Corvette...then people will just think you're a straight dude with a small cock having a mid-life crisis.
well played sir
:laugh:

but if you wanna beef up your miata, add a turbo, 15x8 rims and rolled out fenders.
http://media.photobucket.com/i...rCalendar/DSC00480.jpg

Or if you had an extra $10k to build up the engine ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvxMSPNnzT4
I'd grow a new pair of balls if I drove that.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
for well under 10k you could just drop a small block ford in it. if you go with aluminum heads and intake, i don't even think it increases the weight by much.

if i ever come across a dirt cheap miata with a blown engine, i WILL build a monster miata. i've not yet had the opportunity, but it's one of few automotive ambitions that i could actually afford.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
S2000. I've had both a 95 Miata and drive an S2000 currently. Since you can get S2000s for less than 10k now, it's really a no brainer. The miata feels like a noodle compared to the S2000.

It just depends on your budget. A good condition miata will cost you about 4-5k while a good condition S2000 will cost you about 11k. That said, I do not think the S2000 is 6000 worth of better car.

Audiotherapy

Apr 21, 2004
where do you find a good condition s2000 for 11k? most i've seen around that price are savaged or high miles 00'01 with plastic rear windows.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
91 MR2 Turbo. Not technically a roadster, but it's in the same class, <= $8k for a whole lot of potential. Though it doesn't meet your criteria for: convertible (it's a T top) and easy to work on (mid engine + turbo = 15 lbs in a 5 lb bag). Though there is a large aftermarket and support community.

If you are looking for something to modify and tinker with, the 3SGTE engine is several notches above what anything else in that class is packing, including the S2k (might not be high revving or as technologically advanced as far as materials and valve train go, but it has gobs of torque unlike the F20, and it can spank the F20 with a brute force approach. Additionally, parts and mods for the 5S/3S family of engines are widely available and cheap, unlike the F20.

And as a mid engine car it has a balance and handling advantage from the start.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
how old would you go? I've always liked the old british sportscars such as the spitfire,tr6,tr7/8, austin-healey 3000 and the sprite, mgb, midget or even a late 60s vette, tho that ain't brit.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
Originally posted by: audiotherapy
where do you find a good condition s2000 for 11k? most i've seen around that price are savaged or high miles 00'01 with plastic rear windows.

it's funny that you mention plastic windows like a bad thing because the reason why they went from plastic to glass windows was actually to cut costs, not the other way around...

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: fleabag
Originally posted by: audiotherapy

it's funny that you mention plastic windows like a bad thing because the reason why they went from plastic to glass windows was actually to cut costs, not the other way around...

Switch from plastic to glass windows to cut cost on a $35k car...Honda's kinda dumb.

Anyway, in the Bay Area (in California), which is an expensive area, I found 2 2003 S2000's with ~80k miles for <$11k on craigslist.

A 2001-2003 Miata with ~100k miles is around $6k.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: exdeath
91 MR2 Turbo. Not technically a roadster, but it's in the same class, <= $8k for a whole lot of potential. Though it doesn't meet your criteria for: convertible (it's a T top) and easy to work on (mid engine + turbo = 15 lbs in a 5 lb bag). Though there is a large aftermarket and support community.

If you are looking for something to modify and tinker with, the 3SGTE engine is several notches above what anything else in that class is packing, including the S2k (might not be high revving or as technologically advanced as far as materials and valve train go, but it has gobs of torque unlike the F20, and it can spank the F20 with a brute force approach. Additionally, parts and mods for the 5S/3S family of engines are widely available and cheap, unlike the F20.

And as a mid engine car it has a balance and handling advantage from the start.

:thumbsup:

Plus they sound awesome. :D

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Wow, I did not expect so many replies! Thanks for the great info.

I'd say that the majority of the time I see a Miata, it has an older lady driving it, but this is Kansas City where many guys drive trucks regardless of that 30 miles commute downtown everyday.

I'll keep my eyes open for S2000's, MX-5's, and MR-2's. Who knows, I may run across a cool older roadster as well.