What's a Engineering version of Physics?

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
I know that Bio-engineering is a Engineering version of Biology

I know that Chemical Engineering is a Engineering version of Chemistry

But whats a Engineering version of Physics?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Any physical engineering discipline, really. Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, not sure about Industrial. They all deal with areas of physics. There is no "engineering" that encompasses all of physics, since physics is related to pretty much everything; you can't engineer it.

The closest might be experimental physics, though you're still not really creating anything, but using various engineering disciplines.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
My friend has a degree in Engineering Physics. He works on satellites, I think on the sensors.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There is no "engineering" that encompasses all of physics, since physics is related to pretty much everything; you can't engineer it.
Well... maybe YOU can't. I'd ask God, maybe he could provide some pointers on "engineering physics".

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Any physical engineering discipline, really. Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, not sure about Industrial. They all deal with areas of physics. There is no "engineering" that encompasses all of physics, since physics is related to pretty much everything; you can't engineer it.

The closest might be experimental physics, though you're still not really creating anything, but using various engineering disciplines.
It's one reason I majored in physics. Fundamental. The idea being that it determines everything, that everything derives from it. It's something of a flighty notion, though. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle made me realize that you never know anything with precision. That concept is something of a superstition.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It's one reason I majored in physics. Fundamental. The idea being that it determines everything, that everything derives from it. It's something of a flighty notion, though. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle made me realize that you never know anything with precision. That concept is something of a superstition.

I was sort of interested in physics but I knew that engineering all but guaranteed greater stability and pay. For me, it was mostly, "Yeah, physics is really cool, and these experiments we do in class are fun, butttttt... no." I probably would have wanted to go into lasers or something really cool, where you can blow stuff up.

I think it was my Physics II class in college, I overslept the morning of the final exam and ended up getting there almost an hour after they started. These days I still have dreams about not knowing the course material before the end of the semester, or not doing the homework.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was sort of interested in physics but I knew that engineering all but guaranteed greater stability and pay. For me, it was mostly, "Yeah, physics is really cool, and these experiments we do in class are fun, butttttt... no." I probably would have wanted to go into lasers or something really cool, where you can blow stuff up.

I think it was my Physics II class in college, I overslept the morning of the final exam and ended up getting there almost an hour after they started. These days I still have dreams about not knowing the course material before the end of the semester, or not doing the homework.
Those kinds of dreams are VERY VERY common and I have them occasionally still, and it's been many decades! But actually having lived that!? :oops: I was super good at physics in high school, also chemistry. I just comprehended the material. Carried over to the University, but as I took more courses and got into upper division (i.e. junior year) the appeal disappeared as it got more theoretical, abstract, separated from any hands-on approach. And at that point there was no handle on any experimental physics aspect, I don't recall a lab even. I took freshman chemistry and it was a breeze because I already knew most of it but never took another chemistry course. It had all been physical chemistry, never had any biological chemistry coursework, which I think is a shame. I really needed more guidance and/or inspiration for how to guide my curricula. You obviously had better ideas at least knowing that engineering made more sense for you. My sophomore year my roommate in the dorm was an EE guy. We got along fine, he was great, had great sense of humor. But something about my philosophy of life at the time made me steer away from practical considerations. I was kind of idealistic. So much water under the bridge. I am not anti-idealistic, but am in a different evolved space so to speak. I certainly don't feel that I live in an emotional, intellectual or artistic desert! I never wanted to fence myself in, paint myself into a corner. I think that that mindset had a lot to do with how my life has developed.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I had thoughts of going into physics, but was scared off by the two year foreign language requirement (for any science degree at that time). English is challenging enough for me; I absolutely suck at other languages (other than computer ones). I still suffer from pangs of regret every time I listen to Brian Greene. :(

Reactions: Fritzo

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I had thoughts of going into physics, but was scared off by the two year foreign language requirement (for any science degree at that time). English is challenging enough for me; I absolutely suck at other languages (other than computer ones). I still suffer from pangs of regret every time I listen to Brian Greene. :(

I was going to major in astrophysics, but my high-school teacher talked me out of it..."There's no money in that. You can't raise a family doing that, it's more of a hobby degree."

Worst advice I've gotten in my life. That one lady cost me years of being lost, depression, expense from jumping majors...I try not to think about it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ich habe Deutsch studiert.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was going to major in astrophysics, but my high-school teacher talked me out of it..."There's no money in that. You can't raise a family doing that, it's more of a hobby degree."

Worst advice I've gotten in my life. That one lady cost me years of being lost, depression, expense from jumping majors...I try not to think about it.
My best friend when I was an undergrad had a scholarship to Harvard and basically was into math and astronomy, as focuses academically. He eventually worked on satellite systems, I'm told (I haven't talked to him, just to a mutual friend) and now lives in a huge house (9000 square foot) in Oregon on a large parcel of land, he evidently made a LOT of money!

I never got any advice from high school teachers, almost none from personnel at the university, none that I thought worth listening to. I could have used guidance, but didn't find any, just made my own stupid way! :D Well, I'm not exactly lost!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005

People have such narrow perceptions: they often think X degree makes you eligible for only Y jobs. The reality is much more complicated. A specific degree can give you foundational knowledge in an area, but there are often many other skills picked up during the degree-earning process that you could broadly apply to a number of careers.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
People have such narrow perceptions: they often think X degree makes you eligible for only Y jobs. The reality is much more complicated. A specific degree can give you foundational knowledge in an area, but there are often many other skills picked up during the degree-earning process that you could broadly apply to a number of careers.

NASA is begging for astrophysicists right now because space missions, mapping, and exploration plans are only getting more ambitious. The pay is turns out is fantastic, but it's usually grant/budget based per project. No matter...imagine having a job that entails seeing and understanding things that nobody has conceived of before. How rewarding would that be? Sure beats "Hey...I accidentally deleted the accounting database. Can you restore it from backup?"

Reactions: Brainonska511

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
My best friend when I was an undergrad had a scholarship to Harvard and basically was into math and astronomy, as focuses academically. He eventually worked on satellite systems, I'm told (I haven't talked to him, just to a mutual friend) and now lives in a huge house (9000 square foot) in Oregon on a large parcel of land, he evidently made a LOT of money!

You're not helping :p

I never got any advice from high school teachers, almost none from personnel at the university, none that I thought worth listening to. I could have used guidance, but didn't find any, just made my own stupid way! :D Well, I'm not exactly lost!

We had mandatory guidance councilors in high school (I went to a private Catholic high school). When we picked out classes, you had to make an appointment with them to look over your list and make sure you were going down the right path. Looking back at it, our councilors were mid-40's moms that always looked like the shopped at Goodwill and had 14 cats.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You're not helping :p

We had mandatory guidance councilors in high school (I went to a private Catholic high school). When we picked out classes, you had to make an appointment with them to look over your list and make sure you were going down the right path. Looking back at it, our councilors were mid-40's moms that always looked like the shopped at Goodwill and had 14 cats.
Yeah, sorry, I knew that wouldn't help. But it's 100% true, so threw it up there. Man, I had no idea how useful satellite technology would be going forward. I mean, the first satellites were little more than a tin ball that sent back a signal, whoop dee doo. What use?

Sounds like your counselors were better than what I got. I remember talking to a guy when I applied for graduate business courses (I was desperate to learn something that would let me earn a few bucks) and he assumed I wanted to be an executive. I told him I had zero aspirations to be an executive. That's all I remember of it. Mostly I just went my own way at the U.

Last edited:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018

Wow. I feel sorry for you. That IS about the worst advice I've ever heard.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Wow. I feel sorry for you. That IS about the worst advice I've ever heard.
I'm good now (great in fact), but it was a rough road getting here. The secret to happiness is to make a living doing something you love. I eventually found that spot 5 years ago, and really anyone can get there with dedication. Don't live to work, work to live. Passion should drive your life. (OK, I'm done with the inspirational poster comments :D )