What You Leave Behind.

FunkMastaFlex

Dec 5, 1999
Hello,

(Warning: this may sound like a self-congratulatory rant, but I really do appreciate any solid advice)

Just two days ago, I left my job working with students in a dorm/school setting with Upward Bound. The job was nuts, 16 hour days, whatnot. Even so, I ate it up, I loved it. Now that I'm back home and preparing to go to school, I find myself completely bereft of anything to latch onto that is even close to as meaningful. In the past six weeks, I learned that I...

...have a real gift, not just a talent, for captivating students with the vagaries of English and history....

...could handle being switched into a class of some really tough nyc kids and teaching it so adroitly that they all passed their exams....

...had affected peoples lives so much that I was given a few heart wrenching thank you letters upon leaving.

I thought that when I hurt my knee in football, I would never approach anything with as much skill and passion again. Now that over six weeks I've discovered something again that I thought was gone. But I have to go back to school and classes and other, boring uneventful crap. I mean, I can go back to the bar, relax with whoever, but I just feel like nothing I'm doing is one tenth as meaningful as what I was doing. I just feel empty, and to top it off, nobody at home gets it.

Ah, crap, I'm ranting again. Thanks for listening.

rpberry123

Jul 22, 2003

I borrow a quote from Rush here.......

"...... you work hard, but for you, it doesn't feel like work...."

Counciling and teaching are rare gifts that pay well once you get tenure in areas that offer it.
I think you've found your major.... now go for it.....

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Dude, my history teacher in High School was one of the biggest role models I ever had. He taught me almost everything I know about US and European History. Not to mention the hours he spent with me improving my writing, debating current events with me, and, in general, preparing me to go off to college.

If you earn the respect of kids my age (18) today you are doing something that not many people can do. If you can teach them, you are brilliant. Keep at it.