What would your world be without *NIX?

pitupepito2000

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
A lot of us, are *nix enthusiasts, what would your life be today without it? What would you do for leisure? what OS would you be using?

MNKyDeth

Jul 19, 2004
My life today without Linux would be the same as it was 2yrs ago. It was me vs the world it felt like, trying to lock down my comp from any potential problems using win98 or win2kpro. The games are nice on windows but not worth the trouble to run the games cause of my paranoi if you want to call it that.
For fun I would be playing games, that's what windows is for until more games come out for linux that is. I am a hardcore gamer and linux is my OS of choice. If it's not made for linux, (native) I don't use it. That might be closed minded but it has saved me more time in the long run because I don't have to deal with annoying issues that always seem to pop up.
And of course without linux I would still be using some sort of MS OS.

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Well, no TCP/IP. No standardized way of network communication.

Either that or it would be hugely propriatory.

Also the telephone system would be drasicly different. After all the nation's infrastructure runs on Unix boxes. No C programming. Hard to know how it would be different if Unix never existed.

Maybe a lot, maybe not a lot. Chances are something similar would of been created to fill the vaccum.

Um... pretty much ever major innovation put out by anybody dealing with computers would be drasticly different.

As far as my personal day-to-day, I probably wouldn't have my job if it wasn't for Linux, I'd probably still be working phone tech support. Actually I probably wouldn't be involved in computer technology much at all, Windows is just to restrictive and expensive to deal with, with no internet aviable it would be even more difficult and expensive to use. I'd probably be a mechanic or a artist or something.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I wouldn't be able to get e-mail on my cell phone without Linux. Or, to be more precise I wouldn't be able to afford to.
Linux + IMAPd + Apache + pofhq_wapmail = $Free

pitupepito2000

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
Originally posted by: MNKyDeth
My life today without Linux would be the same as it was 2yrs ago. It was me vs the world it felt like, trying to lock down my comp from any potential problems using win98 or win2kpro. The games are nice on windows but not worth the trouble to run the games cause of my paranoi if you want to call it that.
For fun I would be playing games, that's what windows is for until more games come out for linux that is. I am a hardcore gamer and linux is my OS of choice. If it's not made for linux, (native) I don't use it. That might be closed minded but it has saved me more time in the long run because I don't have to deal with annoying issues that always seem to pop up.
And of course without linux I would still be using some sort of MS OS.

True, one thing to have in consideration is that *nix has had a lot more deep effects in our technology world nowadays. There are a lot of things that *nix created that then got copied by windows. :(

pitupepito2000

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
Originally posted by: drag
Well, no TCP/IP. No standardized way of network communication.

Either that or it would be hugely propriatory.
True, maybe another standard would have kicked such as the novell one, or the one that apple uses.

Also the telephone system would be drasicly different. After all the nation's infrastructure runs on Unix boxes. No C programming. Hard to know how it would be different if Unix never existed.
We would probably would have a set back in our technology, and what we can do with computers now.

Maybe a lot, maybe not a lot. Chances are something similar would of been created to fill the vaccum.
Mabye M$, would be a better company trying to fill in the gap, meaning trying to provide a good reliably product that would run as stable as *nix because the market needed such product.

Um... pretty much ever major innovation put out by anybody dealing with computers would be drasticly different.

As far as my personal day-to-day, I probably wouldn't have my job if it wasn't for Linux, I'd probably still be working phone tech support. Actually I probably wouldn't be involved in computer technology much at all, Windows is just to restrictive and expensive to deal with, with no internet aviable it would be even more difficult and expensive to use. I'd probably be a mechanic or a artist or something.
My life would probably be really sad, and completely different, I wouldn't be as geeky as I'm right :(. I'm not sure that we would have had Windows to play with, since they eventually got their OS idea, from another company who eventually got it from *NIX. I would probably be fixing something that required any type of technology knowldege.

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
I don't think I would be sad.

How could I miss something that never existed? I love learning stuff and fiddling around with things. I probably would of just gone onto something else.

Computers are fun easy, and unlike working with mechanical stuff I don't get my hand and fingers smashed continiously.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Computers are fun easy, and unlike working with mechanical stuff I don't get my hand and fingers smashed continiously.
Amen. :D I don't face the same HV issues either.

pitupepito2000

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
I don't think I would be sad.

How could I miss something that never existed? I love learning stuff and fiddling around with things. I probably would of just gone onto something else.

True, if I had the knowldege I would have probably tried to work on something that resemble computers.

pitupepito2000

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
Drag, you mentioned in one of your posts earlier that if it wasn't for Linux you wouldn't have your job right now. What would you suggest me to do, so I can be more marketable in the job market, and be able to work with Linux and open source?

Thanks,
pitupepito

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004
NT, W2K and XP is built upon uses a lot of things from the *nix world, and what do you think the majority of the servers out on the net are running? Sure, you might be running MS Net instead, with a 1$ per hour cost instead and that might be just fine for you.

The backbone of modern networking is built on *nix tech, your TCP/IP stack, no matter which os you run is *nix tech.

I am not new to the technology of the Open world but i AM new to those who despise it, i find a few here and there, and let me tell you, you are indeed ignorant.

Not that that last thing had anything to do with anything, i just had to say it. :p

pitupepito2000

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Klixxer
NT, W2K and XP is built upon uses a lot of things from the *nix world, and what do you think the majority of the servers out on the net are running? Sure, you might be running MS Net instead, with a 1$ per hour cost instead and that might be just fine for you.

The backbone of modern networking is built on *nix tech, your TCP/IP stack, no matter which os you run is *nix tech.

I am not new to the technology of the Open world but i AM new to those who despise it, i find a few here and there, and let me tell you, you are indeed ignorant.

Not that that last thing had anything to do with anything, i just had to say it. :p

I don't think you would have windows, right now. Because as you remember before windows there was DOS, which tried to copy looks and functionality of *NIX, so without *nix there wouldn't be windows :)

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Do most of you realize that Unix was created by Bell Labs back in the 1960's. So the ramfications of no *nix would be huge. What would have all the mainframes of Nasa for all the space projects been doing it there was no Unix? Would we have all the world Stock Exchanges linked together without Unix? Would we have any medical advances in gnome projects, cancer or AIDS research without the use of Cray computers. A world without *nix would be bigger than just no Linux or Internet communications.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
I think the idea was "where would you be if YOU didn't get into unix," not "where would you be if unix was never invented."

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Also don't forget that Microsoft's first full-fledged operating system was Xenix. A Unix variant.

NewBlackDak

Sep 16, 2003
I got my first computer job aswell because of Solaris. I was doing consulting/freelance stuff, and got called in for something that was relatively simple(tape backup script), and they hired me after I knocked it out in a few minutes. That same place had HP-UX, AIX, and BSD boxes running. They were also dabbling in <1.0 linux kernel. That's also how I got my Linux start. I actually majored in BioChemistry, and if it weren't for computers I'd be bored out of my mind sitting a lab every day.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't know...messing with an NT domain somewhere perhaps?
I started out as a Mac fan, then got my Amiga, still easily the best computer I've ever owned.
Then after a break in, I was left with a P90, ran DOS, then Win95, then dual booted Slackware and Win95.

Fast forward a bit, and I started working a bit with NT4, and then all of a sudden, I got more and more Solaris and Linux work, and to my great joy, work was slowly starting to become good again.
And that's pretty much where I am now, except I've "branched out" a bit, running Linux, Solaris, and OpenBSD on a regular basis, and unfortunately I still have to work with NT4 once in a while.

I guess if *NIX had never entered my life, I'd still be working with NT4/2K...horrible thought :)

pitupepito2000

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
Originally posted by: eelw
Do most of you realize that Unix was created by Bell Labs back in the 1960's. So the ramfications of no *nix would be huge. What would have all the mainframes of Nasa for all the space projects been doing it there was no Unix? Would we have all the world Stock Exchanges linked together without Unix? Would we have any medical advances in gnome projects, cancer or AIDS research without the use of Cray computers. A world without *nix would be bigger than just no Linux or Internet communications.

Agree our lives as geeks would be dramatically changed.

BespinReactorShaft

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
I wouldn't be chuckling every now and then about jokes like this:

http://www.ee.ryerson.ca:8080/~elf/hack/ugvs.html

But seriously, it's the best educator I had for any kind of mid-to-low level programming during my college years. Nothing feels truly hardcore until it's stripped of most if not all GUI. :D

And yeah now I'm reminded that somewhere in that dead hard drive in my closet lies an installation of Linux dual-booting with Win98SE. I used it a LOT for SETI@Home.... ::sigh::

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by: eelw

You said it.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
If there were no *nix, I'd probably be trying to do what I want to do instead of doing what I know I can easily. ;)

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Much easier than it was today. The company I work for is a retail chain that uses an AIX system with a HUGE progress database as it's backend. Unforunately today around 9am progress decided that it didn't wanna do anymore work :( and shutdown the database and halted my companies sales :(. Of course the phones start ringing immediately, so as we are trying to get the server back up and running we are dealing with phones calls left and right. Luckily after 30 minutes of troubleshooting/rebooting the database came back up without any corruption.

Lemme tell ya...when you are working with a database that holds every single customer and sale since the late 90's it's pretty nerveracking. Especially with the president of the company breathing down your back!!!

But thankfully, we survived :).

NewBlackDak

Sep 16, 2003
Don't you just love that? Like it's not already bad enough that your responsible for the machine, every "Big-Wig" in the plant is down there playing 20 questions. I actually lock the door now, because I can't think with 10 people hovering around running off at the mouth.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
you ever see that tv show called "the flintstones" That is what life would be like.