What would your platform be if you ran for national office?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Say you're running for Congress or President. What would your platform be? Fiscal issues? Social issues? End wars? What would you do?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
99copy.jpg

"If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve."

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Say you're running for Congress or President. What would your platform be? Fiscal issues? Social issues? End wars? What would you do?
Championing a pair of constitutional amendments to stipulate that (1) individual rights defined in the Constitution do NOT apply to corporations, PACs, unions, and other organizations, but only to people, and (2) money is NOT speech protected by the First Amendment.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Championing a pair of constitutional amendments to stipulate that (1) individual rights defined in the Constitution do NOT apply to corporations, PACs, unions, and other organizations, but only to people, and (2) money is NOT speech protected by the First Amendment.

Hmmm...so far, you've got my vote.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Both of ^ these. Term limits for congress. Legislation against public advertisement of prescription drugs similar to cigarettes/liquor. Renegotiate medicare part D prices. Increase CAFE standards. SS means testing and raise retirement age. Cut defense spending by, oh say, 25%. The list goes on and on.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
The Rent.....is too damned high!\

Edit- In all seriousness, I agree with Bowfinger as usual. Those two issues are IMHO a bigger threat to our continued freedom and democracy than deficits, unemployment, and Al Qaeda - combined.

Last edited:

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001

I love your first amendment. IMHO that is the biggest injustice heaped upon the American people by the Supreme Court.

If we can get your point 1, point 2 may not be needed.

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005

What about the NRA and corporations like it. I donate to the NRA because it is the only effective organization representing gun rights. I may not like all that they do, but I cannot do anything effective on my own, and even all the members working on their own cannot match the NRA corp due to efficiencies of scale. I hear a lot about this "corporations shouldn't be protected by free speech," but most people pretend that all corporations are Enron, and pretend like there are not a large number of citizens who give money to "corporations/Unions/PACS" with the intention that those corporations/Unions/PACS will speak on their behalf to the government. With many corporations/Unions/PACS, that is the entire point, the corporation/Union/PAC/ is speaking on the behalf of people who do have rights, and could never be heard if they did not have a large entity to represent them.

And regarding the money issue.

At what point do you get to cut off money as "speech?" If my donations are not speech, do I have to make my own fliers and pamphlets instead of donating to a group that does the work on a more efficient scale? If I cannot use money to pool my resources with other people, that seems to tip the political scales even more in favor of the rich. I cannot afford to go out and buy a printing press that can generate hundreds of thousands of fliers. But, the Koch brothers can afford to buy time on national television.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
People can do what they want in their private lives (gay marriage, women's right to choose, etc.), and a budget cannot be passed that is not balanced.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
First, I'd change my residency to one of these red states:

3715001330ae0717c24d.jpg

No, wait, I meant:

6a00d83451f56b69e200e55.png

Then I'd suck up to Fox News and run on FUD.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
To crush my enemies, see them driven before me and to hear the lamentation of their women.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
What about the NRA and corporations like it. I donate to the NRA because it is the only effective organization representing gun rights. I may not like all that they do, but I cannot do anything effective on my own, and even all the members working on their own cannot match the NRA corp due to efficiencies of scale. I hear a lot about this "corporations shouldn't be protected by free speech," but most people pretend that all corporations are Enron, and pretend like there are not a large number of citizens who give money to "corporations/Unions/PACS" with the intention that those corporations/Unions/PACS will speak on their behalf to the government. With many corporations/Unions/PACS, that is the entire point, the corporation/Union/PAC/ is speaking on the behalf of people who do have rights, and could never be heard if they did not have a large entity to represent them.

If corporations / unions had no constitutional free speech right they could still be granted limited rights to lobby through laws passed by congress.

For example, a corporation like CostCo might be allowed to place radio ads to support a proposition / initiative but be required to use their own name instead of funneling money through front groups like "Citizens for honest liquor laws".

Or if several groups band together for an ad campaign, the top 5 might need to be disclosed in the ad, and the group running the ads must have an accurate name. Using fake grassroots names would not be allowed.

The constitutional right to lie in political ads would also not be extended to corporate ads.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
1) End foreign wars. Close at least 50% of foreign military bases.
2) What has been made can be unmade. SS and Medic*** need to be cut back.
3) DoD takes a 25% budget cut minimum - with the closed bases and ended wars, that should be easy.
4) The healthcare bill must be repealed.
5) The budget must be balanced or show surplus each year.
6) No anonymous additions or edits to bills.
7) Term limits for Congress.
8) Full application of the Fourteenth as pertains to the Second.
9) Corruption in Congress is treason; treason is punishable by death.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
A national ass kicking lottery. Once each week a winner is chosen from those who choose to enter the lottery. That person is given the choice of one person whose ass they want to kick. The person whose ass is to be kicked must be at least 18 years of age, of the same gender, and is given the right to defend themself. No one person may be the choice of an ass kicking more than once a year. The two parties are then put into a cage with the same restrictions of a UFC fight. No charges may be levied against the lottery winner for the legal ass kicking they dispense. Sitting presidents and Supreme Court justices cannot be chosen to recieve an ass kicking, but vice-presidents and members of Congress may.

Who wouldn't love the chance to beat up one person who really pisses you off, legally! I had to limit who could get their ass kicked as the current President is a little too important, as are SC justices. But I'm sure many of you who want to kick Obama's ass wouldn't object to taking a swing at some other Democrat you hate or Olbermann or something. Also I had to limit the number of times an ass could be kicked per year because the 20th time a year Glenn Beck's ass was kicked would put a hamper on the fun of it. Also he might learn to fight back with all that.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
A national ass kicking lottery. Once each week a winner is chosen from those who choose to enter the lottery. That person is given the choice of one person whose ass they want to kick. The person whose ass is to be kicked must be at least 18 years of age, of the same gender, and is given the right to defend themself. No one person may be the choice of an ass kicking more than once a year. The two parties are then put into a cage with the same restrictions of a UFC fight. No charges may be levied against the lottery winner for the legal ass kicking they dispense. Sitting presidents and Supreme Court justices cannot be chosen to recieve an ass kicking, but vice-presidents and members of Congress may.

Who wouldn't love the chance to beat up one person who really pisses you off, legally! I had to limit who could get their ass kicked as the current President is a little too important, as are SC justices. But I'm sure many of you who want to kick Obama's ass wouldn't object to taking a swing at some other Democrat you hate or Olbermann or something. Also I had to limit the number of times an ass could be kicked per year because the 20th time a year Glenn Beck's ass was kicked would put a hamper on the fun of it. Also he might learn to fight back with all that.

Rachel Maddow is a man, right? I'd fight him

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Rachel Maddow is a man, right? I'd fight him

Genetic testing will have to confirm gender so that arguments like this require proof. In addition, at the age of 65 you become exempt from receiving an ass kicking from anyone that is more than 10 years younger than you. All who are selected for an ass kicking are given 2 weeks notice to make plans to receive their ass kicking.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
The MAN SHOW BOY for PRESIDENT!!

Maybe we could "End Womens' Suffrage"!!! Women shouldn't suffer!!

A famous skit, often posted online, featured Carolla and Kimmel setting up a booth at a farmer's market and successfully asking people to sign a petition to "end women's suffrage", demanding the repeal of the 19th Amendment (which guarantees women's voting rights). This sketch humorously revealed widespread fundamental political ignorance in the general population and how terminology could be used to manipulate public opinion, much as dihydrogen monoxide is used to illustrate general scientific ignorance. The majority of people who came to the booth, both men and women, were willing to sign the petition.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Common sense. To make it work I'd have to make a shitload of money first though. I'd probably get political support from the NRA and some gay rights groups, but that's about it.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
...I'd probably get political support from the NRA and some gay rights groups, but that's about it.

May I add to the Brilliance of your platform with the Man Show Boy and some cameras??

Because the Epicness of The Man Show Boy, Gay Rights, and The NRA deserves to be on film!

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
May I add to the Brilliance of your platform with the Man Show Boy and some cameras??

Because the Epicness of The Man Show Boy, Gay Rights, and The NRA deserves to be on film!

Lol sure. I'll have him infiltrate my opponents to expose the stupidity of their constituencies. :twisted: