What would you pay for used CDs/DVDs at a garage sale?

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
I'm going to be participating in a community garage sale tomorrow, and among my other junk I want to take about 150 CDs and 100 DVDs that I no longer listen to/watch. I was going to sell them on eBay/take them to a used CD place, but eBay would take too much effort and the used place would likely give me less than a buck per disc. So, I'm wondering how to price them so I at least make a little money, but so that people will also be interested. I was thinking between $2-$3 per CD, and between $2-$5 for a DVD, depending on the age and "quality". Any thoughts?

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Seems perfectly fine. Be prepared for some real low ball offers. Whenever we've done garage sales, the people who came by were looking for things practically for free.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Sounds very reasonable.

If someone offers you a quarter for one, just say "the price is as marked, and anything left at the end of the day will be donated to charity." That should take care of the annoying lowballers.

And watch your stuff like a hawk. People steal.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, those sound like good prices. You should make a deal if somebody grabs like 10 DVDs, though.

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
it doesn't matter how cheap you mark them, there will be people who offer lower! The past two yard sales I have had have been like this. It could be a 25 cent item and they will offer 10!

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Garage sales aren't a way to get rich making money. Garage sales are venues to get rid of stuff you no longer want.

Keep that in mind and mark your stuff at $2.00 per DVD, $1.00 per CD. Those prices are about the highest you can go and be successful imho. That is, unless you want to have to move all your crap back in your garage at the end of the day because you overpriced some items.....

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: slag
Garage sales aren't a way to get rich making money. Garage sales are venues to get rid of stuff you no longer want.

Keep that in mind and mark your stuff at $2.00 per DVD, $1.00 per CD. Those prices are about the highest you can go and be successful imho. That is, unless you want to have to move all your crap back in your garage at the end of the day because you overpriced some items.....
I'm not looking to get rich...like I said, I wanted to strike a balance between the convenience of not dealing with eBay and the raping I would take at a used records store.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
If they are in good condition, 2-3$, if they are scratched, missing booklet, broken case, 50 cents to 1$ would be what i would do. I would also encourage 10+ deals. Buy 10 cds, get 2 free or what not.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I did this last April with about 40 or so DVD's and on average charged $5 but for ones that were less desirable I charged $3.

I was amazed at how much theft there was at mine. I caught some punk kid stealing some PS2 game and realized a lot of little things that ended missing when the day was over.

Also make a price list and don't rely on price stickers since people will swap them or just take them off.