What would you do if you had 250k and your mortgage and bills paid off?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Night201

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: cliftonite
I would save it for retirement or if I had kids I would put it away towards their college fund.

Now that's a smart man.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkitech
So lets say you came into some money that allowed you to pay off all of your bills, including your mortgage and about 250k remaining. Would you keep working? Would you go back to school? Do some travelling?

I'm thinking I would travel to all the states that I've never had a chance to visit. I would possibly reconsidering moving somewhere warmer than Chicago that has cheaper real estate. (Mississippi, Alabama, etc..)

been there.. done that.

took 2 yrs off from work.

traveled- vegas multiple times, a few other major cities in the US, a few countries in Europe.

went back to school and took some fun classes like Archery.

volunteered at various places for short periods of time.

And i'm still back to this POINT :(

not rich enuf to retire, not poor enuf to be hungry

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Finish my degree.
Invest almost all the money.
Go on Appalachian trail.
Backpack Europe & Asia.
Come back in a couple years and look for a job/go back to school.

I would try to spend as little money as possible, take up TESL, maybe.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Depending on where you go and the exchange rate, and whether you're the type to splurge, $250k can go farther than you'd expect. With only property tax and your home utility to worry about (which is practically nil), you're pretty well off. Not live like a king well off, but stress free well off.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
I'd put $20k in a high-interest savings account for a rainy day, invest the rest in the stock market, and continue working.

You can never save too much for school for your kids or your retirement.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
Originally posted by: wyvrn
you can invest and make 12% easy,

Man........do I even start??? (bites tongue) :roll:

I do it all the time. If you want advice, I can point you in the right direction.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I would:

Invest the majority of it.
Travel for a few months.
Work part time for the benefits.
Startup my own company until it was full time then quit part time.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: RossMAN
I would:

Travel for a few months.

What part time employer offers benefits?

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
Originally posted by: wyvrn
you can invest and make 12% easy,

Man........do I even start??? (bites tongue) :roll:

its possible, one of my stocks has an annual yield of close to 24% now, but nothing is guarantee, it can change tomorrow, just need to keep an eye on it.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: JEDI
So lets say you came into some money that allowed you to pay off all of your bills, including your mortgage and about 250k remaining. Would you keep working? Would you go back to school? Do some travelling?

I'm thinking I would travel to all the states that I've never had a chance to visit. I would possibly reconsidering moving somewhere warmer than Chicago that has cheaper real estate. (Mississippi, Alabama, etc..)

been there.. done that.

traveled- vegas multiple times, a few other major cities in the US, a few countries in Europe.

Really? So you took 2 years off since January of this year?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: RossMAN
I would:

Travel for a few months.

What part time employer offers benefits?

Good point, make that quasi-semi-part time (30 hours) ;)

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
The mentality in this thread is alarming...

Powerball multi-millionaires have gone broke in as little as 3 years... and you guys are gonna quit your job over a lousy 250K???

I think you should all buy my new audio CD for $30... it explains how not to live your life if your should ever recieve a large lump sum payment of money for any reason.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I already quit working, but I'm up for the money. With 250K, I'm sure I could suck $1500/mo. out of it for the next thirty years (investment income+principle).

Hmmm, $1500/mo., lease+insurance on a Z06 (employee discount) and at least one super trip a year.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
I'd invest $230,000 in a low-risk investement, and use the rest on making a home-theater room, including movie-theater seating and a popcorn maker.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: gsethi
put it all on Black. If won, retire. If lost, continue whatever I was doing the day before.

Seriously, 250k is not much. Would invest it somewhere and continue doing what I am doing now.

:thumbsup:

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
I'd probably teach. It would pretty much be the perfect job if you had everything paid off and a very large wad of cash. The salary from teaching would be plenty enough to cover daily expenses (food, gas, utilities, etc) and you still only work 10 months out of the year. Plus, it works great if you ever got married and had kids.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDI

been there.. done that.

In order to succeed you must FAIL.