What would happen if Israel goes to war w/Iran?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
They're worried about prosecuting a war closer to home. Only the U.S. seems to be willing to operate on multiple fronts.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Iran can buy good Russian made SAMs and fire a crap load of them every time they see a plane.

I doubt that Iran's pilots / air force would stand a chance against Israel's pilots. As a matter of fact, taking SAMs out of the equation, Israel would probably lose no pilots to Iran's air force.

Another issue is that this war involves sending forces (air or otherwise) across Iraq.

That being said, oil would go to several hundred dollars a barrel and other countries are bound to get drawn in.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I think that what is stopping them is some restraint and intelligence.

As Schaden stated, they would cause a world-wide spike in oil which would then affect everything else and would become even more hated in the ME than they already are. The domino effect of that is that there would be a larger groundswelling of anti-Israel sentiment that would permeate through other populations, including in places where they are currently thought of by a great majority favorably.

Add in the financial and human cost of the war, the fact that they would then be attacked on all sides by other hostile nations in support of Iran and you have a government that knows it is better to make back room deals with the US and other countries to black list Iran and leave them looking like the neighborhood geezer yelling at everyone that might run through their yard.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Whats holding israel back? Quite a few things im sure. Not the least of which being the U.S. seems to force her to fight with one hand tied behind her back. Which is ashame really.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
why does the world need another war? Iran is changing as we speak. Everytime someone graduates from college, everytime a woman starts her own career the fundies over there lose a little power.

Isreal would lose in the international court of opinion and would lose many more allies around the world.

In the midst of the current global meltdown no country Iran included can afford to go to war. well outside of the United States...

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
why does the world need another war? Iran is changing as we speak. Everytime someone graduates from college, everytime a woman starts her own career the fundies over there lose a little power.

Isreal would lose in the international court of opinion and would lose many more allies around the world.

In the midst of the current global meltdown no country Iran included can afford to go to war. well outside of the United States...

Iran is changing? Maybe, if you perspective is based on geologic time.

Israel does not care about the international court of opinion, only about real consequences.

What global meltdown? That part of the world has NEVER based the decision to go to war on whether they could afford it or not.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I though it was common knowledge that it was the Bush admin that held Israel back from bombing nuclear sites.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Iran is changing as we speak. Everytime someone graduates from college, everytime a woman starts her own career the fundies over there lose a little power.
The question is what will happen first, Iran develops a nuclear weapon + delivery system or Iran changes and becomes tolerant of the Israelis?

Glad it is not my call to make. On one hand, you have a certain economic meltdown + thousands dead if Israel strikes first in a conventional war, on the other hand, you have a possible sunny day in the middle east, especially if Israel has a nuclear stockpile to counterattack with.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
im glad Israel has its "Samson Option" if need be. Not that I would want the situation to get to that point though.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
who would go to war on Iran's side?

you know who hates Iran more than Israel? every other major power in the Middle East.

Agreed, I have little doubt that most Middle Eastern Govt's would secretly be rooting for Israel.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Which would not stop any of them a moment to use the situation to further their own anti Israeli plans.

Of course not, still, im sure they would be happy if both parties destroyed one another. I highly doubt most if not all of those countries would directly enter the fray. Syria is the most likely possibility. However, Assad knows he is well within reach of the IDF machine. Of course, one never knows.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
who would go to war on Iran's side?

you know who hates Iran more than Israel? every other major power in the Middle East.

I don't think they would be on Iran's side as much as they would be eager to attack Israel.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
^^^if that were to haoppen, then we would be possibly looking at a "Samson Option" event. Wouldn't bode well for all concerned.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
^^^if that were to haoppen, then we would be possibly looking at a "Samson Option" event. Wouldn't bode well for all concerned.

No it wouldn't...not in the least. I thought that was why the US always stepped in a calmed Israel down when they got pissed?

It literally scares me to think about what would happen if those two countries did go at it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Whats holding israel back? Quite a few things im sure. Not the least of which being the U.S. seems to force her to fight with one hand tied behind her back. Which is ashame really.

The sort of immoral person who legitimizes the actions of enemies to defend themselves.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
No it wouldn't...not in the least. I thought that was why the US always stepped in a calmed Israel down when they got pissed?

It literally scares me to think about what would happen if those two countries did go at it.

Yeah, the U.S.has stepped in to calm/nerf Israel down. When I say "Samson Option" im only refering to a scenario where say other arab nations were to mistakenly think Israel was ripe for the picking while she was engaged in bloody war with iran. its basically Israels last resort/doomsday option. Most likely won't happen (I hope)

Last edited: