What would cause this network error?

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Ok. Much has happened to my poor pc.

It locked up one day and upon reboot started hanging at MUP.sys. I managed to get through that problem, repaired windows, and got back into it. But now I can't connect to the network at all.

Here's what I get. Pic

Now, I tried:

the Lspfix , and

the winsockxpfix,

resetted the TCP/IP stack from the cmd line with a netsh int (etc...).

Nothing.

I have a feeling that something is buggered in the registry, but I honestly am lost now.

Oh, the Event viewer also is giving me a 1096 error from Userenv: "The data is invalid." I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I really don't want to kill it all and start over (I *would* like to take a BFH to it though) but it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do.

Please help. :(

Edit: Oh, specs. XP Pro no sp. AMD 3400+, Asus nforce3 based mobo (using onboard NIC, I'll get model later)

Edit2: for clarity

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
D/L and run a program called WinsockXP Fix. It may help. If not there are some other things to do but not easy to walk you through them.

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
thanks OdiN,

What do you think? I tried the WinsockXPfix and it ran it's course. It's still "pretending" to be connected. (icon shows up, that's about it)

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Zanix
thanks OdiN,

What do you think? I tried the WinsockXPfix and it ran it's course. It's still "pretending" to be connected. (icon shows up, that's about it)

Have you installed/uninstalled any firewall/AV software recently?

What I need to do is get into the services and check dependencies...if you know how to do that it would help.

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
I can do that. What service needs checking?

Edit: Oh, I did install the Nforce firewall along with the driver for the onboard NIC. Could that be killing the whole operation? :shocked:

I mean, I can't ping or get an IP from the DHCP... nothing. On the status window of the connection, on the support tab, the four listings are Invalid IP, then zeros.

Meh, obviously. I thought this would be more important than it is. Nm.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

You do have to do this in the registry usually...at least the fixing part.

For now you can go into services under computer management and check the dependencies under DHCP Client.

I need to know what is in there to determine where to go next.

Just expand all the entries and screenshot it is best I guess.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

Edit: Oh, I did install the Nforce firewall along with the driver for the onboard NIC. Could that be killing the whole operation? :shocked:

I mean, I can't ping or get an IP from the DHCP... nothing. On the status window of the connection, on the details tab, the four listings are "<not available>".

Okay you probably have to setup your firewall first. I'm not that familiar with the nforce firewall - usually I never install it and just use a router and leave it at that. So I can't really walk you through that as I don't have an nforce machine here with that software and I have never really used it so I don't know what all the options are in it.

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Mmm... yep. Doesn't look like I've got a DHCP Client service.

Pic

:eek:

Edit: ah mess, bad pic. BRB

Edit2: Ok, works now.

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: OdiN

I mean, I can't ping or get an IP from the DHCP... nothing. On the status window of the connection, on the details tab, the four listings are "<not available>".

Okay you probably have to setup your firewall first. I'm not that familiar with the nforce firewall - usually I never install it and just use a router and leave it at that. So I can't really walk you through that as I don't have an nforce machine here with that software and I have never really used it so I don't know what all the options are in it.

The process is called Apache.exe, and I just killed it.

I can do without until I get connection, right? I mean, it's not going to hold me back if it's not running right?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

Pic

Uhm.... WTF? :Q

You should have DHCP listed there...even if it's not working/disabled.....

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

The process is called Apache.exe, and I just killed it.

I can do without until I get connection, right? I mean, it's not going to hold me back if it's not running right?

No it's sounding like you really have to set it up before you can get a connection.

Is this XPSP2?

Open regedit and go here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

See if dhcp is listed.

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Ok, my mistake. Now I'm looking at it.

Text

Edit: oh, and this WAS Sp1, but since then I've repaired windows... so.. I don't know what one it is now.

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003

Pic

Uhm.... WTF? :Q

You should have DHCP listed there...even if it's not working/disabled.....

:shocked:

:(

I have to kill it don't I....

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

Text

Edit: oh, and this WAS Sp1, but since then I've repaired windows... so.. I don't know what one it is now.

No it SHOULD be listed under services. Something is ****** up but I don't know what...hard to tell without sitting down at the computer and going through thing.s

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Damn. Well I appreciate the effort OdiN.

Seems like we may have found a cause though. That would explain the psudo-connection sans the actual data transfer.

Could I manually set an IP to get around the DHCP problem?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

Seems like we may have found a cause though. That would explain the psudo-connection sans the actual data transfer.

Yeah you might be able to maually set it.

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003

Ok... so I gave it an appropriate IP, subnet, gateway, and I think DNS.

This is what I get when Repairing the connection: Text

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003

Ok... so I gave it an appropriate IP, subnet, gateway, and I think DNS.

This is what I get when Repairing the connection: Text

Anyone know what service is responsible for:

"Purging and reloading the remote cache name table of NetBt"
"Sending Name Release packets to WINS and then restarting Refresh"
"Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DNS names"

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Have you tried simply uninstalling the network card from Device Manager and eltting windows reinstall it when you reboot? Didn't see the simple things mentioned so wanted to make sure you weren't overlooking a nice, easy solution.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
I think your network stack/machine is just fubarred, I would scrap it and start over tbh. It's too much of a mess from the sounds of it. I would also make sure you get fully patched behind a router (or install a SW firewall if no router) before doing ANYTHING. Do the firewall before even plugging into the network if you don't have a router.

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Have you tried simply uninstalling the network card from Device Manager and eltting windows reinstall it when you reboot? Didn't see the simple things mentioned so wanted to make sure you weren't overlooking a nice, easy solution.

YEAH!!!!

FrankyJr.... thank you.

I gave up on it, prepared myself mentally for the wipe, and decided to tinker one last time to see if the simple things would do it.

I boot it up, and behold.

ALL IS WELL. (so far)

I manually configed it, and I guess it just needed a reboot. Didn't think of THAT in the fog of the late night. :confused:

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003

Text

No it SHOULD be listed under services. Something is ****** up but I don't know what...hard to tell without sitting down at the computer and going through thing.s

Seriously though, if you won't have a case of beer... What have you?

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: nweaver
I think your network stack/machine is just fubarred, I would scrap it and start over tbh. It's too much of a mess from the sounds of it.
Unfortunately, I don't think I've EVER seen an XP network stack succesfully fixed. There are lots of how-to's and explanations and utilities, and I religiously hand them out to people with these kinds of problems......

And I can't say that I've ever seen them work for anybody, including myself.

Anybody else?