Question What would cause DP to HDMI adapters to not work?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I ordered two of these as my whole setup is HDMI based (preran cables, KVM etc) but most GPUs have more DPs than HDMI. Also my work PC is all DP based. I had some adapters but apparently some of these only support HD as I could not get 4k to work on them with the work PC. So ordered two that state they support 4k. Need at least one to feed my secondary 4k display for my personal machine, and also one for my work PC to connect to the KVM for the primary monitor. For secondary I just use DP cable and switch the input manually.

Well every machine I tested these on, they aren't even detected. Both in Linux and in windows. Both of them don't work, so I feel the odds of both being faulty is pretty slim. Anything else I can try?

Also the HD one that worked with my work PC also does not work on any of my PCs, so this has me even more baffled. Where can I even begin to troubleshoot this?

EDIT: Forgot to link to the adapters I bought.

This is the adapter: https://www.primecables.ca/p-362078...12a-to-4k-hdmi-active-adapter-black-monoprice

And to go from mini to normal: https://www.primecables.ca/p-308340...rbolt-to-displayport-female-adapter-monoprice

Last edited:

Nessism

Golden Member
Dec 2, 1999
Found this comment inside a monoprice review for a DP to HDMI cable. Something to investigate anyway....

Before you buy, make sure your video source supports dual-mode DisplayPort (NOT just regular DisplayPort) and is compatible with PASSIVE adapters. I didn't do my research, and it didn't work.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Interesting so I guess not all computers/GPUs will support these then? I figured they just did active conversion of the DP signal.

Though part of my issue might be that I also used a mini DP to DP converter which is not active, and realized I bought the wrong thing, says it's for thunderbolt. I guess thunderbolt connector happens to be physically compatible with mini DP so that adapter is not working for what I thought it would.

I have another GPU on the way anyway. This one has two HDMI out so it will solve the need to use these adapters.

Last edited: