What will be THE next BIG multiplayer FPS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Of the 3 of those I have played, TF2 is by far the most fun. I want Crysis more for the SP, and Quake Wars was a little too BF2 for me.

I would say TF2 based on what I have read/seen so far, but who knows.

KT

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: CP5670
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

I'm hoping that UT3 is good enough to earn the top spot. I'm hoping for the return of thousands of populated servers featuring UT99 style CTF and active CTF leagues.

Same here, and the return of the original UT99 weapons as well. I don't know what they're planning to do with that in UT3, but as a longtime UT player the biggest issue I had with UT2004 were the neutered weapons. It would have been great if they had just kept the original weapon balancing.

I have UT2k4 for the mods, but I just didn't like the main game at all...and I used to be a UT addict when all I had was dialup. It moves to fast and the weapons didn't do it for me.

I thought the game had a lot of potential, but the weapons are all severely underpowered compared to the UT versions, some more so than others. They make the whole game feel slower paced than it should be and screw up the balance to some degree.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
UT3 I think. With the number of maps and modes of gameplay available it's going to have a lot of appeal and replay value.

I'm enjoying TF2, but I think it's longevity will depend on how soon some more maps are thrown into the rotation. If Valve isn't going to make any more, TF2's long-term success may depend on the custom-made maps by players.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I don't belive Crysis was meant for MP so I doubt it. I think its alot of fun though... QuakeWars is fun too but we'll have to see how it feels once its retail. TF2? not a chance.
UT3 in my opinion should win out but who knows.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
ut3 is going to be pretty big. TF2 is going to be up there too.

People are still playing UT99 for crying out loud.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
I still play UT99. I just went back to it recently and was surprised how well the graphics on that game aged...it still looks damn good to me!

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Far Cry, I believe, the problem was only 4-5 players on a fairly large map which meant most of time just walking around.

Hopefully this was fixed in Crysis.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
TF2 and UT3:

TF2 has relatively easy gameplay, hilarious sound and graphics, and will run on most people's PCs fairly well. UT3 will almost certainly require upgrades for a lot more people. However I think TF2 will fizzle much quicker than UT3 will, based on the depth of UT being far more than TF2 atm it looks like.

TF2 is easy when you have 20 mins and want to just have some hilariously fun gibbing action. UT3 seems to me is the competitive, long-term option.

I'm playing TF2 nightly right now, so fun. Not sure if I want to pour cash into a new PC just for UT3 tho.

Edit: Should have read Balt's post more closely. +1

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm looking forward to UT3 personally. I think that may be the biggest one, especially if it gets back to the UT99 roots. But I actually enjoyed UT2K4 as I like the frantic and fast-paced action.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I'm going to say TF2.

UT3 will probably be the same crap game they've released 3 times now. 2/3 of those releases were within a year of each other, so there's a chance some people (like myself) will be pissed off and not buy it simply becuase another one could be released in a year from now.

Quake Wars had a horrible marketing team. I didn't know it existed until about 3 weeks ago, when somebody made a forum post saying that the demo was available.

I've never even heard of Crysis until just now, but now that I check it on google and see it's an EA game, I know I won't be buying it. Just watch when they bail on it after a year, just like they did with BF1942, then with BF-Vietnam, then BF2.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Acanthus
For me, QW.

Ill take a bug free battlefield 3 from EA, but ill settle for QW since EA cant seem to code.

I think the Crysis Multiplayer has a lot in common with BF2 actually, it will be even cooler if the full version has air vehicles

Crysis multiplayer reminds me a lot of battlefield 2 with super graphics and the ability to enhance weapons and self, but with less emphasis on vehicles and no commander system.

I actually liked those elements of BF2. BF3 would be awesome but I'm thinking that FFoW and Crysis should satiate that desire a bit

ourfpshero

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
i still play ut2k4 and am waiting anxiously for UT3. so my vote is ut3

quake wars is very complicated for gaming noobs, crysis takes a hardcore rig. tf2 will probably outdo ut3 in # of players for a while- but ut3 will go on longer. tf2 will probably win the sales game tho!

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Azn
ut3 is going to be pretty big. TF2 is going to be up there too.

People are still playing UT99 for crying out loud.

I know these people since I'm one of them. One of the primary reasons they're still playing UT99 is that they didn't like UT 2003/2004.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
I put about 50 bucks into 2003/2004. I got 2003 like a week before 2004. Mostely for the Alien Swarm Mod because the demo was unimpressive to me in 2003. It was a completely new type of game compared to UT99 which is to this day my second favorite PC game of all time. I got 2004 the day it came out... I got the SE tin for 30 bucks at best buy! I couldn't play it because of the DVD Protection for days.

2004 I play sometimes still, but only the Faces map remake.

If UT3 doesn't go back to its UT99 roots then the game can get f'ked tbh. TF2... no thanks. Didn't like the first one. Even Quake Wars is too much like BF2 for me. I'll stick with Day of Defeate Source for war games. CSS for random matches to get the blood flowing and for scout ho'ing.

Oct 30, 2004
What's your first favorite game?

BTW, if you want to play UT99 clan-match style CTF spontaneously at unscheduled times, just let me know and I can hook you up. It requires a basic knowledge of how to use the IRC and the (free) Teamspeak 2 voice comm program.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
My favorite game is EVE Online. 4 years and counting playing it and it takes 95% of my gaming time unless I am beta testing games. Currently beta testing Hellgate. I stopped playing UT99 a few years back, too many modded servers and too much pr0n maps. Unfortunately, its the same reason I don't like playing CS:S with my EVE buddies... gun game imo is crap and thats all they play.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I spent thousands of hours with UT99 many years ago, mostly CTF and domination, but I haven't played it all since 2001. Is there still significant activity on it?

D

Deleted member 4644

UT99 was maybe the greatest game ever. Quake 2 is a close one. I wish the modern games were as good. Quake 3 kind of ruined certain games IMHO.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CP5670
I spent thousands of hours with UT99 many years ago, mostly CTF and domination, but I haven't played it all since 2001. Is there still significant activity on it?

Yes and no. It's impossible to find a populated public DOMination server now, which is very, very sad.

Populated CTF servers are still around, but many of them are instagib, sniper, or modded. There are still a couple populated regular weapons CTF servers around, however, but they run at higher speeds.

In North America, try the FOCR server:

FOCR 125 speed regular weapons: 66.151.7.44

It's 125 speed regular weapons CTF.

Now...that having been said...much of the regular weapons CTF action is at PUG matches. These are spontaneously-organized clan-match style Pick Up Games and they are a tremendous amount of fun. It's real UT CTF the way it was meant to be played! Players on a five-man team have assigned positions and try to use team work and voice comm.

To get involved in the PUG match scene, you need to know how to use IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and Teamspeak2 (a free download -- http://www.GoTeamspeak.com )

In a given IRC channel, people sign up to play in the next match by typing .join. A program called the Pugbot (the Abot in this case) keeps track of the number of people who have signed up to play and when it gets to 10, two people become captains and draft the other 8 players in a 1-2-2-2-1 order with the first captain having the first pick and the second captain having the next two picks, etc., with the first captain getting stuck with the last pick. Then they all hop on Teamspeak, join their team's channel, and then hop on the server to play a best of three maps match.

Come give it a try sometime:

Server: irc.GameRadius.net (home of the North American UT99 CTF community)

Channels:

#speedpug (reg weapons, 125 speed)

and

#mlut (reg weapons, 100 speed, need to be logged in to the IRC server, has a higher skill level)