What will be THE next BIG multiplayer FPS?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4644
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4644

Obviously few games will ever match what Quake2/3 or Counterstrike did.

But we have a few VERY exciting games coming: Quake Wars, Crysis, TF2, UT3

Which of these four will be the biggest?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
QW = ugh
Crysis should be fun single player, but i cannot see multiplayer being overly great
TF2 looks pretty sweet actually
UT3 = pwnage, what else? ;)

The biggest/best = UT3.

Whether the rest of the world agrees or not doesn't matter to me; it's what i'll be playing.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
im personally gonna go with TF2 - far more scalable than any of the other games, except maybe ETQW. im in the crysis beta but NDA means i cant say anything :( UT3 looks great, but UT2k4, while awesome, just didn't have the same feel that made the original UT so great.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
I think UT3 will be the biggest if only because of its name. I'm not counting on Crysis being great in terms of gameplay. TF2 is probably my favorite out of those four, but I see it as sort of a niche franchise. QW I don't know.. feels like the UT3 name is bigger.

D

Deleted member 4644

Originally posted by: dighn
I think UT3 will be the biggest if only because of its name. I'm not counting on Crysis being great in terms of gameplay. TF2 is probably my favorite out of those four, but I see it as sort of a niche franchise. QW I don't know.. feels like the UT3 name is bigger.

UT name is bigger than Quake??? I don't think so. But I will say that Id has done a TERRIBLE job of marketing QW. I had NO idea it was coming out until about a month ago.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
I'm pinning my hopes on Frontlines: Fuel of war, from the guys that made the Desert Combat mod for BF1942. Not due until Jan 08 though

Aug 9, 2007
I just played 11 hours straight Power Struggle for the first time. Haven't had that much fun since Wake Island days in the first Battlefield 1942 Beta...so my guess is Crysis! It's complex, it's fun, it's simple and it's serious. Everything!

D

Deleted member 4644

Originally posted by: frythecpuofbender
I just played 11 hours straight Power Struggle for the first time. Haven't had that much fun since Wake Island days in the first Battlefield 1942 Beta...so my guess is Crysis! It's complex, it's fun, it's simple and it's serious. Everything!

How doe sit run on your rig?

Oct 30, 2004

I'm hoping that UT3 is good enough to earn the top spot. I'm hoping for the return of thousands of populated servers featuring UT99 style CTF and active CTF leagues.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
im personally gonna go with TF2 - far more scalable than any of the other games, except maybe ETQW. im in the crysis beta but NDA means i cant say anything :( UT3 looks great, but UT2k4, while awesome, just didn't have the same feel that made the original UT so great.

Hey I think I played with you in the Crysis beta. You like, lagged and flipped out on my screen and then I mysteriously died. :)
I'm leaning towards Crysis and UT3.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
QW is backed by a huge name of Quake. UT3 has a huge name of Unreal.

But Team Fortress is one of the original multiplayer mayhems. And TF2 gets to carry that banner.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: 40sTheme
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

Hey I think I played with you in the Crysis beta. You like, lagged and flipped out on my screen and then I mysteriously died. :)
I'm leaning towards Crysis and UT3.

what was your handle of crysis?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
You left off a huge one on that poll.

My pick for best Multiplayer FPS:

Call of Duty 4 :thumbsup:

If you aren't familiar with it, watch a trailer online for it.

Modern combat with incredible graphics and weapons.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: daveybrat
You left off a huge one on that poll.

My pick for best Multiplayer FPS:

Call of Duty 4 :thumbsup:

If you aren't familiar with it, watch a trailer online for it.

Modern combat with incredible graphics and weapons.

A game built from the ground up for both console and PC? No thanks.

I've been playing a ton of TF2, and I will probably play it for a looooong time, but I think UT will be more popular in the end.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

I'm hoping that UT3 is good enough to earn the top spot. I'm hoping for the return of thousands of populated servers featuring UT99 style CTF and active CTF leagues.

Same here, and the return of the original UT99 weapons as well. I don't know what they're planning to do with that in UT3, but as a longtime UT player the biggest issue I had with UT2004 were the neutered weapons. It would have been great if they had just kept the original weapon balancing.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: CP5670
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Same here, and the return of the original UT99 weapons as well. I don't know what they're planning to do with that in UT3, but as a longtime UT player the biggest issue I had with UT2004 were the neutered weapons. It would have been great if they had just kept the original weapon balancing.

I have UT2k4 for the mods, but I just didn't like the main game at all...and I used to be a UT addict when all I had was dialup. It moves to fast and the weapons didn't do it for me.

As for the topic at hand:
I don't see how crisis could be that big online. For one thing, it seems to be more single player oriented...for another its a fucking beast. A game needs to be playable by the masses. TF2 seems to have the better scaling engine but its still a niche offering. The biggest games were usually boring semi-standard shooter fair that had tons of cool mods.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Meh, none of these games come close to the size and scale of PlanetSide. Battles on an absolutely epic scale, still yet to be matched.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
Quake Wars, Crysis, TF2, UT3

You MUST consider system specs. The half life engine was runable on almost everything- so CS became the god. Same with Quake, engines that optimized what people had, and produced a fun game.
Crysis will be at the bottom of the stack because its an eye candy whore of a game
Quake Wars seems flat...fun but flat for some reason...not sure if the masses wil latch onto this like a CS title.
UT3-Huge following already and you can bet on having it working on lower end systems with great results-already a cult following of this series and it will continue
TF2-this will sweep the above, because, the source engine is very efficient and runs like a knife through butter on most if not all systems set up for a gaming experience. I know the CS S ran great on a laptop sporting a radeon 7500...so this is an efficient engine and its a fun game with great balance and simplicity, but yet complex enough to keep people coming back!

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
I think TF2 may end up hitting it REALLY big, we'll have to wait and see though.

Depending on how well TF2 does, UT3.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
TF2 is gobs of MP fun. I think it's on track to be the biggest hit. Crysis will be an amazing SP experience, but like FarCry, the MP will be a niche.