what weight boxing bag (heavy) to get?

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
I am 5'11", 160lbs, and in terms of strength, I can bench a set of 10 at 205lbs. I am looking to get a heavy bag, but I dont know how to choose the right weight of the bag.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
A 100 pound bag should be just fine.

I would recommend Everlast, Title, or Ringside bags since everything else (mainstream anyway) is pretty much junk.

See here

Also, either get some training on how to use it at your local gym or YMCA or get the following DVD:

Here

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: jemcam

I would recommend Everlast, Title, or Ringside bags since everything else (mainstream anyway) is pretty much junk.

See here

Also, either get some training on how to use it at your local gym or YMCA or get the following DVD:

Here

would you recommend the 150LB bag for someone 250lbs?

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
150lb is pretty damn heavy...I like a heavy bag to still have some give to it. I have a 100lb bag at home and a speed bag I've yet to put up after months of it sitting in the dark. doh.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
Originally posted by: jemcam

See here

Here

would you recommend the 150LB bag for someone 250lbs?

I don't see it as being a necessity. 100 lb bags are just fine. I actually have a 60 lb bag that I use at home when I don't feel like going to the gym and I get a perfectly good workout on it and I weigh 200.

I'd be more concerned about what type of material of bag that you get and getting a good pair of gloves and wraps.

Seriously, spend the money on the DVD or see the PM I sent you for more information before you buy anything. With the correct technique, the extra weight of the bag isn't going to make that much difference.

If you're using the correct technique when you hit the bag, you want it to move a little bit anyway so you can work on your footwork. I seriously doubt you'll be able to wail away on a 100 lb bag for very long anyway. If you hit it hard and fast, I would be very surprised if you can do it for 5 minutes non-stop.

I do 4 or 5 three minute rounds with 30 seconds rest in between for 15 minutes or so and my ass is whipped. If you are doing it correctly, you'll feel it in your back, legs, buttocks and shoulders the next day.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
150lb is pretty damn heavy...I like a heavy bag to still have some give to it. I have a 100lb bag at home and a speed bag I've yet to put up after months of it sitting in the dark. doh.

Ah, the speed bag! My favorite! I love the speed bag. If you spend some time to learn how to do it, it's a hell of a lot of fun. If you can go into a gym and do some tricks on the speed bag, everyone always assumes you know how to fight, even if you only know how to do the speed bag. : )

Here's a link to some great speed bag sites: speedbag central and this forum is one of my favorites, I'm a big poster on that board: speed bag forums

Make sure to check out the videos on both of the speed bag sites. It's not hard to learn to do some pretty cool stuff if you devote about 30 minutes or so per day!

Check out these videos: Alan Kahn, speed bag master and friend of mine

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Here's a great deal on a nice bag that can even be used for kick boxing if you get into it later. I'm really lusting after this bag and have been fighting the urge to get one:

Hot deal