What weapons did US sell to Iraq?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: zer0burn
I agree with what you just said however the threat of him giving the weapons to terrorists is a lot less in comparison to a lot of other countries...

However they still are somewhat responsible for what he did with the weapons because even after he invaded kuwait they still supplied him with weapons/info, Even after he gassed the Kurds he supplied them with more aid...

possibly after the Kurd gassing, but not after Kuwait....

our objective with Saddam was as a US friendly anti-Iran force in the region after the Shah was overthrown and the Islamic Republic of Iran was founded, as well as the beginning of modern anti-American Islamic fundamentalism.

They also supplied him with conventional weapons, you can go and buy a gun in K-Mart, if you take it home and shoot your wife, K-mart or the clerk who sold it to you is NOT going to be liable for YOUR actions.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
As far as I can tell, you can only come up with theory's of how they got chem/bio weapons. We (US Goverment) sold them information and private companies (May have smuggled it out of the contrey) got it to the military. However, if we did sell them it, I wouldnt be surprised. However, this proves the have had WMD's. Which in fact they do have them :D

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Tabb
As far as I can tell, you can only come up with theory's of how they got chem/bio weapons. We (US Goverment) sold them information and private companies (May have smuggled it out of the contrey) got it to the military. However, if we did sell them it, I wouldnt be surprised. However, this proves the have had WMD's. Which in fact they do have them :D

how about we rely on the IRAQI supplied "theory" of where their chem/bio weapons came from....

The 12,000-page weapons declaration that Iraq delivered to the United Nations in December identifies 31 major foreign suppliers for its chemical weapons program, including 2 companies based in the United States that are now defunct, 14 from Germany, 3 each from the Netherlands and Switzerland and 2 each from France and Austria.

feel free to insert the term US Govt in place of the two "defunct" US "businesses"......:cool:

zer0burn

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2002
I'll just place this quote :)

What might have been revealed about the secret side of America's relationship with Iraq within the 8,500 pages that the US government removed from Iraq's 12,000 page weapons declaration before most UN security council members were allowed to see it?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: zer0burn
I'll just place this quote :)

What might have been revealed about the secret side of America's relationship with Iraq within the 8,500 pages that the US government removed from Iraq's 12,000 page weapons declaration before most UN security council members were allowed to see it?

great, whos the source?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
so the 5 permanent members were given full reports, the UN ASKED that all pages that could lead to production of WMD be ommitted for obvious reasons.

How is that US deception?

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sirpado
From my understanding of our support of Iraq earlier, especially with the Iran-Iraq war, we sold Saddam a lot of weapons, didn't we?

I know in the war 1, 000,000 iranians died, many by biological agents, etc. Were these weapons from USA? Does iraq still have weapons we gave them?

just wondering...

No, the US didn't.

Iraq: U.S. Military Items Exported or Transferred to Iraq in the 1980s

This unclassified version of a classified 1992 GAO report discusses U.S. policy and practices on sales of U.S. military equipment to Iraq during the 1980s. Since 1980, U.S. policy has been to deny export licenses for commercial sales of defense items to Iraq, and the Pentagon has not made any foreign military sales to Iraq since 1967. In contrast, U.S. policy on sales to Iraq of dual-use items--items with both civilian and military uses--has not been constrained by security controls. As a result, the Commerce Department approved licenses for exporting $1.5 billion worth of dual-use items between 1985 and 1990. The licensed items included computers and other high-tech equipment, civilian helicopters, and machine tools. In addition, several countries shipped U.S. military equipment to Iraq without U.S. approval, including ammunition and howitzer spare parts. In five cases, countries proposed that they serve as transshipment points for military equipment for Iraq, proposals that the State Department rejected.

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
hahahahahah

You mean America would aid a country to kill 1 million -- camel humpers?

how absolutely absurd! Well it's a damn good thing there is NO WAY

they would EVER do something like that AGAIN. And it's no wonder

they expect the ENTIRE world to trust them.. America's Track record

may have a couple of stains. BUt that's only the innately stupid --

obviously less sophisticated than your average whitey -- Arab's Fault.

by the way...i only read a few posts until i stopped, and realized how ignorant

most of you -- the belligerent - are.

Maybe if you people weren't so isolated from world affairs -- had a tidbit of

knowledge on US foreign Policy, and how it affects many of the most dangerous

countries -- i would be more inclined at tolerating your opinions

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Pers
hahahahahah

You mean America would aid a country to kill 1 million -- camel humpers?

how absolutely absurd! Well it's a damn good thing there is NO WAY

they would EVER do something like that AGAIN. And it's no wonder

they expect the ENTIRE world to trust them.. America's Track record

may have a couple of stains. BUt that's only the innately stupid --

obviously less sophisticated than your average whitey -- Arab's Fault.

by the way...i only read a few posts until i stopped, and realized how ignorant

most of you -- the belligerent - are.

Maybe if you people weren't so isolated from world affairs -- had a tidbit of

knowledge on US foreign Policy, and how it affects many of the most dangerous

countries -- i would be more inclined at tolerating your opinions

Yea Pers. I mean they are so Biased and ignorant of cultures and full of name calling why read their posts right?

rolleye.gif

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
No, during the Iran-Iraq war, we gave them more than just advice. We have the receipts to prove it.
You do? Show your receipts. This ought to be interesting. Let me guess, you 'uncovered' them from the sealed archives of the CIA during your internet research, eh?
rolleye.gif

The US supplied Iraq with little actual weapons other than lot of satellite photos and other intelligence on Iran. There was no VX nerve gas sold to Iraq by the United States. Dual use precursor chemicals were sold to Iraq, some of which could be used in the production of VX nerve gas, but not all.

Dual use biologicals were ordered by the Iraqi Ministry of Health for the stated purpose of medical research. You can't develop vaccines for livestock and people without the respective pathogens, but the down side is that you can also use those pathogens to develop biological weapons.

In all, the US contributed rather little to Iraq's military capabilities, including WMD, compare with the contributions of countries like France, Russia, Germany, and China.

On a side note, it was Israel who was covertly brokering weapon sales and giving intelligence to both Iran and Iraq, hoping the war would become protracted, resulting in massive losses on both sides.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: sirpado
From my understanding of our support of Iraq earlier, especially with the Iran-Iraq war, we sold Saddam a lot of weapons, didn't we?

I know in the war 1, 000,000 iranians died, many by biological agents, etc. Were these weapons from USA? Does iraq still have weapons we gave them?

just wondering...
I just hope we had the sense to withold our Ultra-Secret Killer Pencils...
rolleye.gif

zer0burn

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2002
how are you so blind they sold them vx nerve gas they've admitted to it its been documented...

digitallinh

Apr 4, 2003
during the Iran-Iraq war, we aided the Iraqis, in training, intelligence, and misc weapons. From what i know, no major weapons or armor.

The most famous Iran-Contra Scandel, in which we made a "secret" arms deal to Iran ( the ones we were against) to secure the release of our Prisoners in Lebanon. T

he then Soviet Union was a huge threat to U.S interests, and the US-USSR cold-war took over control of the middle east, using these countries as pawns, just as Vietnam, and Korea.

This however reflects on the middle eastern views of the western nations. Since 1945 and the break up of the ottomon empire. We have done nothing but cause pain and war in their region. From Israel, to Iran, Iraq, to Afghanistan.

This is a tough topic for me to talk about, i have so much i need to say, i will just quit. pray for the people.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: digitallinh
during the Iran-Iraq war, we aided the Iraqis, in training, intelligence, and misc weapons. From what i know, no major weapons or armor.

The most famous Iran-Contra Scandel, in which we made a "secret" arms deal to Iran ( the ones we were against) to secure the release of our Prisoners in Lebanon. T

he then Soviet Union was a huge threat to U.S interests, and the US-USSR cold-war took over control of the middle east, using these countries as pawns, just as Vietnam, and Korea.

This however reflects on the middle eastern views of the western nations. Since 1945 and the break up of the ottomon empire. We have done nothing but cause pain and war in their region. From Israel, to Iran, Iraq, to Afghanistan.

This is a tough topic for me to talk about, i have so much i need to say, i will just quit. pray for the people.

And all the problems of the world are caused by the United States.
rolleye.gif

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
how are you so blind they sold them vx nerve gas they've admitted to it its been documented...
Well I'm willing to be educated, just provide a source of this proof, but please stop linking to far-flung leftwing whacko sources like www.commondreams.org or www.fringefolk.com or www.bushthehumanchimp.net or...what the hell is the 'snow coalition'? Nevermind, I don't think I want to know.

That's probably a lot to ask of you, I know, some people wouldn't know the meaning of 'credible' if it smashed their face in.
the then Soviet Union was a huge threat to U.S interests, and the US-USSR cold-war took over control of the middle east, using these countries as pawns, just as Vietnam, and Korea.
That's a bit of an understatement. The Soviet Union was a huge threat to the free world, not simply US interests. How did you like those Soviet puppet regimes over there in Afghanistan, they worked pretty well, eh? Prosperity and peace for all.
rolleye.gif