Question What was your first SSD and when did you buy it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
80GB Intel X25-M (1st gen) bought early 2009.

After having tried one through various means, there was really no going back to HDDs. Had to have it.
+1

X25-M 80GB was among the first SSD I tried in late 2010. Same conclusion drawn though... no more spindle boot drives, ever again. I believe I was running an X58 setup at the time.

Jul 1, 2001
A 256 GB Samsung 850 Evo around 2015. It still runs in my old laptop without issue.

My MacBook Pro came with an 256 GB SSD and I got that around 2014. I'm not sure if that "counts", though, since it came pre-installed.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
My first was a 120gb PNY SATA ssd (actually 2 one for me and one for my dad/parents) both still working in older configs mine has been formatted and used in 3 different computers. This was mid to late 2017 dont remember the date, it changed my life, i could never go back. And working on hdds as i do mostly everyday its at times(most of the time) very painful and triggering, to the point that now a days i pretty much take the approach of strictly recommending ssd to my customers and rarely hdds (outside of just raw storage). It makes both our lives easier in the long run.

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
A 180GB Corsair Force Series 3 in 2010. It's still in my old Macbook, but it doesn't get much use anymore.

Oct 27, 2006
Got an OCZ Vertex 4 in summer 2012, bought one for my brother at the same time. Was around $200. Both of them still work perfectly, and are still about as fast as SATA limited SSDs get in practical terms. Mine was downgraded to laptop duties years ago while the main rig was upgraded to 840 Pro 512GB, then 850 Pro 1TB, then nvme. Never really noticed an upgrade from the V4 through the 850, but I suppose SATA 6bps is just a bottleneck.

Weirdly, the ancient Vertex 4 is faster than many of the cheapie SSDs I throw into budget rigs and replacements for stock spinners for people. You know, 'brand X' 240GB for $24.99 etc. But all of them are a good bit better than your typical HDD.

Jan 17, 2019
Got an OCZ Vertex 4 in summer 2012, bought one for my brother at the same time. Was around $200. Both of them still work perfectly, and are still about as fast as SATA limited SSDs get in practical terms. Mine was downgraded to laptop duties years ago while the main rig was upgraded to 840 Pro 512GB, then 850 Pro 1TB, then nvme. Never really noticed an upgrade from the V4 through the 850, but I suppose SATA 6bps is just a bottleneck.

Weirdly, the ancient Vertex 4 is faster than many of the cheapie SSDs I throw into budget rigs and replacements for stock spinners for people. You know, 'brand X' 240GB for $24.99 etc. But all of them are a good bit better than your typical HDD.
That's pretty nice, weren't some of the OCZ SSDs notorious for failing? I didn't say in my post above but the 840 I bought is also still in my PC now as the OS drive and working flawlessly.

Oct 27, 2006
That's pretty nice, weren't some of the OCZ SSDs notorious for failing? I didn't say in my post above but the 840 I bought is also still in my PC now as the OS drive and working flawlessly.
Yes, the Vertex 3 and various previous models on Sandforce were indeed a mixed bag for sure in terms of reliability. At the time I picked up the V4s, I was taking a chance as they were a new model, new controller/etc, and nobody knew what the long term outlook might be. It turned out to be hugely more reliable than the earlier models thankfully, and that continued to improve.

Jan 17, 2019
Yes, the Vertex 3 and various previous models on Sandforce were indeed a mixed bag for sure in terms of reliability. At the time I picked up the V4s, I was taking a chance as they were a new model, new controller/etc, and nobody knew what the long term outlook might be. It turned out to be hugely more reliable than the earlier models thankfully, and that continued to improve.
I see. I think my brother still has a working vertex I'll have to check and see which one it is!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
My first SSD purchase(s), were a batch of five, OCZ Agility 30GB SSDs.
think i got one of those and one of the kingston 40GB drives at about the same time. replaced them with a crucial m4, then replaced that with a seagate 600, which i've been rocking ever since.

Aug 25, 2001
think i got one of those and one of the kingston 40GB drives at about the same time. replaced them with a crucial m4, then replaced that with a seagate 600, which i've been rocking ever since.
Yeah, the "X25-V" model, 40GB. I got one of those too, but I didn't use it, I passed it on to a different friend, after I found out how much work it was to re-flash the Intel firmware, to gain TRIM support for Windows 7. (Stock Kingston X25-V firmware lacked TRIM support.)

Honestly, it probably wasn't really as much of a big deal as I thought that it was at the time.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Yeah, the "X25-V" model, 40GB. I got one of those too, but I didn't use it, I passed it on to a different friend, after I found out how much work it was to re-flash the Intel firmware, to gain TRIM support for Windows 7. (Stock Kingston X25-V firmware lacked TRIM support.)

Honestly, it probably wasn't really as much of a big deal as I thought that it was at the time.
i'd forgotten that the kingston drives were intel inside

mopardude87

Oct 22, 2018
My first was a Corsair Force f60 60gb back in 2010,coming from a 300gb Raptor as a boot up drive it was amazingly fast but i won't lie when i say the size bothered me.Luckily BF2 and UT3 was all i played so i had plenty of room for those but just barely.

Been fun watching myself practically doubling the size at a lower price point every time i upgraded,i went from $200 for the 60gb F60 to the $90 i paid for my 500gb Samsung evo 860.

Apr 14, 2012
www.johnnylucky.org
My first ssd was a SAMSUNG 470 Series 2.5" 256GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive that I purchased in December 2010.

Historical Trivia - Tom's Hardware, which is AnandTech's sister site now that Purch owns them, published their first ssd technical review in June 2006. The drive was so new it was not yet called a solid state drive. It was a Samsung prototype that never made it to actual production because there were a lot of problems with it. Samsung went back to the drawing board and eventually came back with a vengeance. The company wound up controlling between 30% to 45% of the ssd market thanks to OEM contracts with companies like Dell, Lenovo, HP, Sony, Acer, and others. The OEM contracts were so lucrative that the sale of consumer ssd's to the general public were a minor afterthought.

Oct 28, 2013
Kingston A400 120GB in 2014(ish). It's still my system drive (Win 7-64). Bought another for my son's computer a few years ago. Neither have given me issues (knock wood). I have an empty M2 slot that I may fill soon with a Crucial 500GB if/when I upgrade to W10. I'll probably use the 120GB Kingston drive for my younger son's PC when I build it from my misc parts that I have...better than chucking it I guess.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS