What was the worst phone OS you've used?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Windows Mobile 6.0 (and 6.5). I had an HTC TyTn II (AT&T Tilt), and it was pretty obvious that it was Windows CE with modem capabilities tacked on.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Android <5.x

Laggy, horrible battery drain, crashprone. It is a wonder that android was able to get any marketshare with the state of android then.

Eh. 5.0 and 4.3 and 4.4 punch some holes in the statement.

I would safely say that Gingerbread and earlier Android was a bit awful. It held on because of the nature of Android, i.e. more freedom. ICS was a sea-change. 4.1 was a solid upgrade, 4.2 was a bit of a mess. It took until 4.3 for TRIM. KitKat was pretty darn solid. 5.0 brought another sea-change. And some horrendous memory leaks. 5.1 fixed it up decently. And from there the upgrades have consistently improved the Lollipop base.

Android's history is a bit too shaky to make a statement like this, unless the statement covers such a short span to otherwise be useless.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
On a cell phone? Windows 8. I loved my old Nokia Lumia 1020 with it's 41mp camera but damn the OS killed it for me. I went from an iPhone 4s to that and regretted it for a very long time. The camera in it though was amazing.

So yeah...worst OS for me was Windows 8.

0H4U

Aug 19, 2016
Maemo for the typical rabid-OSS user community.

My time with the N900 in particular was definitely a love-hate experience. A lot like Windows Phone/Mobile 10 in that way...

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Android preICS was kinda bad. That was when I actually preferred a skin (primarily HTC Sense) to add necessary basic features. I am also not liking Nougat right now - primarily for the horrible battery drain issues.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
IOS without a doubt, to locked down. I like the ability to choose my OS/launcher.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
IOS is very bland, it really needs an update to modernise it.

But early android touchwiz was really bad.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
iOS... was stuck with an iPhone 6s for work earlier this year for the first time and it was driving nuts. Pushed to have it changed 5 months later.

Kapav

Oct 7, 2016
Early days Android definitely was a lot more function over form. iOS as a daily driver is fine in my opinion, the experienced is polished and clean. It does feel pretty sanitized though because of it's locked down, "my way or the highway" nature.