What was the last major illness or disease that you had?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HankToms

Sep 5, 2007
Apparently I had mono, and it didn't kick in until my week long vacation to Disneyland with my GF. I wasn't feeling so well the day of her birthday(which was the day before we went down to LA). I tried to cook her a nice meal, but she made me stop halfway through and rest in bed because I wasn't looking so well. Then she finished cooking the vegetables. We ate and then we just rested since I was so tired.
The next day we were rushing around getting ready, and she asked if I was fine, and I seemed fine so I said yes. I drove down the whole way, and was feeling very tired because it was around 11 and I guess the mono was kicking in. By the time we got to the hotel, I was so tired, i just plopped down on the bed and we went to sleep.
Next day, i'm tired as hell, i can barely move. I had almost zero energy. She was so worried about me and I decided we shouldn't go to disneyland or universal studios with the tickets we bought because I was in no condition. We pretty much stayed in the hotel the whole week, sometimes we'd go out to a nearby restaurant to eat, but mostly she would buy some food and bring it back. Luckily I was good enough to drive back north safely(she couldn't drive, no license yet). I can't say it was my worst vacation tho, because at least I was with my GF who took great care of me and stayed with me even though she could walk across the street to Disneyland.

short version: I got mono sometime b4 the trip, same week the trip started I had no energy and so tired, spent week in hotel with 3 day disneyland/california adventures and universal studios tickets on the table. Also I left those tickets in the hotel room when we drove home. (they fedex'd it back eventually tho)

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
I had Mumps two years ago during an outbreak on my college campus. It sucked. Don't get Mumps.

theApp

Dec 1, 2001
Does breaking a bone count? I broke my hip and pelvis (mainly the socket where the ball of the femur goes, along with some other small pelvic fractures) in a motorcycle wreck. Now I have some extra metal in my hip and a foot long scar on my
abdomen/right side. Still recovering too! 5 weeks ago was my surgery, only 3 more weeks until I can hopefully walk again.

Oh, and I'm 21.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: theApp
Does breaking a bone count? I broke my hip and pelvis (mainly the socket where the ball of the femur goes, along with some other small pelvic fractures) in a motorcycle wreck. Now I have some extra metal in my hip and a foot long scar on my
abdomen/right side. Still recovering too! 5 weeks ago was my surgery, only 3 more weeks until I can hopefully walk again.

Oh, and I'm 21.

I think the op is asking for illness or diseases.

theApp

Dec 1, 2001
Then the pneumonia I had in the ICU will work fine :) Previous to that, I guess another bout of it when I was 16, haha.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
When I was a toddler, or maybe preschool age, I was sick with an intestinal illness. I couldn't even keep water down, and probably would have died of dehydration had I not been put on an IV at a hospital, which I was. This was the only time I was ever really bedridden. All I remember was that I was tired, and I really hated having the IV needle in the back of my hand.

That's really the last and only "major" illness I can remember. I've been sick with bad colds, but they're usually kept in check with ibuprofen and sudafed. I had mild chickenpox in elementary school, but the main thing that made that memorable was that I had to stay home from school. I don't think I've ever had the flu, and I've not ever received a flu shot.
Tetanus shots though - those suck. I had one of them when I was in middle school, and my arm felt like hell for a week, it was pretty much useless. Then I had one a few years ago. Oh, they insisted that tetanus shots weren't like that anymore, that they're much gentler. Yeah, BS. I was down to one usable arm for that week, just like before.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
Originally posted by: TallBill
pleurisy about 9 years ago. Not sure if it's actually dangerous to the health but the pain was a 10 out of 10. Horrible.

oh man, had that a couple years ago, every now and then felt like someone was stabbing me in the heart with an ice pick and i couldn't breathe

fun stuff eh?

No, my doctor told me that I had experienced pains on the same level or worse then a heart attack. I couldn't stand up without help, and could barely speak. My mom rushed me to the ER and they jacked me up with pain meds. I hope I never ever get that shit again.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
I get 2 or 3 colds a year. I have never had the flu. Just a runny nose, some sneezing, and some coughing. Nothing major.

I had strep throat this past spring...it wasn't even that bad. Took some antibiotics for a week or two, and it was gone.

I had a detached retina in May of 2005. I think it was from hitting my head of the forks of a forklift that someone left up while at work.

In the Spring of 2003 I fractured my foot playing basket ball. I had a cast that came up to me knee for about 6 weeks. It sucked. I ended up taking it off myself because it itched so bad.

I broke my leg when I was six. Not sure how I did it...but it was so minor that I didn't need a cast, and could still walk on it. I just had to take it easy.

That is about it. I am 22 now.

EDIT: Sorry if broken bones and detached retinas don't count....thats all i've got.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I had meningitis a few years ago. Dear God, the headache was unbelievable - fortunately the pain meds + the fever allowed me to sleep for about 24 hours.

I also have chronic gout (seems to be stress-induced) but the colchecine seems to be keeping it under control.

coolied

Apr 3, 2007
Ruptured Diverticulitis - September 6th, 2005

Had been suffering from severe abdominal pain July 2005, diagnosed as "acute bacterial prostatitis", was causing severe stabbing pain in the area between my anus and testicles as well as UTI-type symptoms. Was put on Cipro for 2 weeks and things seemed to get better, but not go away completely.......... Fast forward to September.......... Sunday, September 4th, 2005 - go to the local fair with my family, feeling great, had a blast, ate like a pig, and enjoyed a demo derby................ Next day, had minor abdominal pain as well as pain in my penis during urination, figured i'd just picked up a bug from something I ate at the fair, felt mostly OK, just like a mild stomach virus............ well, next day, September 6th, 2005; I woke up and my stomach really hurt, I got up to go use the bathroom and see if it helped, and I felt like i'd been kicked in the balls.............. The feeling was constant, and when I peed, it was bright orange (ultra dehydrated at this point)........... I hung around for a little while to see if the pain would pass, it didn't.......... so it's off to the ER, at this point i'm thinking appendicitis................ Well, get myself checked in, at this point the pain is so bad I can hardly think straight, get sent out to the waiting room for ~1.5 hours............. They finally take me back to a room, get my vitals, and disappear (at this point my temp is 104 degrees F; and i'm in agony but no pain meds because they haven't got a clue at this point what is wrong with me)........... so a couple of hours later, they bring me a liter of CT contrast medium and off I go to CT......... well, a couple of hours go by and someone finally reads my CT............ a doctor comes in and says "Son, you are in bad shape, you've got the internal equivalent to an abdominal shotgun blast, you MIGHT need surgery but at this point we think we can get it with IV antibiotics"............ well, 15 minutes later the chief of surgery comes in and hands me a huge stack of paperwork to sign and tells me i'll be off to surgery in 30 minutes............. so off I go, breathe the gas and come to about 3 hours later with a huge open incision and a colostomy bag............... they explain that I will wear the bag for 6 months and at that point they will reverse the colostomy (they had to remove a foot of my colon so the colostomy was to allow the ends to heal)............... ICU for a week with no food or drink, then off to a regular room for a couple of days, then home (that one kept me out of work for 2 months)............. FF to April 06, back in for colostomy reversal, much easier, no ICU, no food for 2 days and then went home 2 days after that............ that one had me out of work for another month................. but now doing much better, pretty much 100%................ anyways, sorry this was so long, but it was sort of a long story.......... Moral of this story? Eat your fiber, kids!