What was the last major illness or disease that you had?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Juno
diagnosed with bronchitis on christmas eve in 2006 at 22. cured in 5 weeks and i am not a smoker. odd, huh?

edit:

i was diagnosed with gilbert's disease in fall 2005. it's not a life threatening disease.

I was diagnosed with gilbert's also.
Not life threatening , but can make doctors look twice at lab results sometimes .

Jun 4, 2005
Mononucleosis, Fibromyalgia*, Tinnitus*, Depression.

*never gonna be free of them

Contracted Mononucleosis in 8th grade (12/13 years old?) which may have been the trigger for Fibromyalgia. Tinnitus has been with me as long as I can remember.

pnad

May 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Crono
I've been diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder.

You lose watches? ;)

edit:

Chrono-Displacement Disorder, a genetic disability, which means he has no control over the awkward possibility that he will suddenly vanish from his linear life. At moments of stress or high emotion, he is liable to find himself suddenly transported helplessly in time to another scene that matters in his life, whether future or past.

This thread made you happy or stressed enough to jump through time?

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Had an infection 18 months ago and the antibiotics gave me colitis for about a year. Lost about 35 pounds or so. 4 weeks ago i broke my big toe trying to find a tool to unclog the toilet that my son jammed a bottle of soap down. Three weeks ago I fell off of my work truck and gave myself a concussion that is still giving me fits. I am trying to find a neurologist as of today to take a closer look into my problems. I have post concussive trauma. Forget what objects are, cannot remember things from one second to the next. Pretty freaky stuff.

Peace

Lounatik

yasg

Jun 29, 2007
i am a walking disease. i think all that ive experienced this year are (a really tough one), some precancerous cells, digestion/absorption issues (leaky gut probably?), and of course the depression that goes along with being me.

(i took the first one out. it is the hardest to deal with and is destroying my life, but its kind of rare so i suppose it could give away my identity :p)

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I had a wicked cholesteatoma in my left ear about 3 years ago. That was a fun series of surgeries. It had grown back into my mastoid bone and destroyed my hearing bones.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Testicular torsion... (not really a disease, more like a "I want to kill myself, please give me a knife" sorta thing). Before that had a lump removed from the same testicle (wasn't cancerous though).

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
None. I'm in my mid twenties and have been pretty lucky thus far (luck, genetics, being careful, minding health-- a little bit of everything).

The only surgery I've had for wisdom teeth extraction, and the worst "illness" I've had was a hangover. I've not had the flu, even.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
I'm 19 and haven't suffered any major illness as far as I can remember. I think I had jaundice when I was 4. But I don't think I've ever been hospitalized or been on a drip.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I had shingles 43 years ago but I would not call that major.

I had my gall bladder removed in 1989 but I didn't consider that as major either.

I'm 73.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Scarlett Fever according to the doctor about 6 years ago. I still think it's BS though, cause while I did have a fever, it was during flu season, and there were "rashes" that are part of my "normal" skin. Other than that, I usually get a cold around this time every year. Hope I can break the cycle this time...

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I had plantar fasciatis in January and March this year. Previous to that I had chronic acid reflux from the mid 1990s until 2006. Drastic weight loss and hardcore exercise fixed this for me. :)

I'm 37.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
"CasioTech as a cancer doesn't count"

See, I'd think he's more of HVI than cancer.......Homosexual tendencies and all.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Kaelyn
Originally posted by: CDC Mail Guy
Just diagnosed with MS. Have been Diabetic my whole life.

:( /comfort/

My husband (known as Dulanic here on AT) was diagnosed with MS in 2003. He's on the new Tisabri (spelling?) injections as his current treatment. Seems to be working really well for him, as his last MRI showed significant reductions in the size and number of lesions on his brain.

In keeping with the topic....I myself had food poisoning from some bad salmon last Friday. I also was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea last year. Been on my CPAP since diagnosis and I sleep much better these days.

I was going to post that but I guess she can sit and post at work LOL.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: GenHoth
Appendicitis

Got it when i was 27. One week before a surf trip to Costa Rica. I was out in the water surfing 8 days after surgery with duct tape over my stitches. Not too smart, but I will be damned if that ruined my yearly vacation.