Question What was my CPU doing?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Stumped to what what was going on with my 5950X build was doing this morning. Woke it from sleep and everything was crawling. Looked at task manager and nothing was really running, but when I flipped to the CPU tab, it was running at 500MHz. Spent the next hour updating the BIOS, drivers, restarting, clearing CMOS, reseting power plans. From the screenshot below, it was reported to be sucking a ton of power but the clocks were low. Put it back to sleep and walked away for 5 hours. Turned it back on and everything appears to be normal. Gremlins or something more obvious?

1652295202779.png

• Wow
Reactions: Grazick

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I can vouch for this, it's not happened with my 5950X, but it happened with some regularity on my 3950X. A simple reboot always solved it for me, never remember it persisting for any length of time though like in your case. I never did figure out what caused it to happen and it's not a system sleep issue I don't believe as mine happened from a cold boot or reboot. The little bit of info I'm almost certain of though is it's an issue that was introduced through either BIOS updates or Windows updates as it never occurred even once during say....the first 2/3rds of the length of time I had the 3950X. Then once it occured the first time it occured not frequently but often enough that I immediately recognized what was going on and simply rebooted rather than wondering what was up with my pc.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
My gut feeling is it's a rarely occurring bug introduced with some agesa update about a year or so ago. It's happened to him on his Asus board, with me it's my ASRock Aqua. AFAIK it's never occurred on my Asus TUF board with the 3900X or 5900X though I'm not the primary user of that system so I can't say for certain. I haven't had the ASRock Phantom ITX long enough to give any data. It occurs rarely and slows the system to a crawl so it's possible a typical user would assume a background program was hung and simply reboot, thus typically solving the problem without ever realizing the system was stuck at ~500MHz. May even require certain hardware configurations to exhibit it at all, I can see how this slips through the cracks.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Update to the latest BIOS. Could be a firmware issue. Sleep seems to be a tricky thing to get right for mobo makers.

I updated to the latest BIOS while this was happening and it didn't resolve the issue. After that, I put it to sleep and walked away. When it woke back up, everything was fine. Somehow it got stuck in a certain state and I suspect Windows. Like @YBS1 mentioned, the system slowed to a crawl to the point it was almost not usable so my first inclination was to reboot, followed by resetting the CMOS and then updating the BIOS.

alexbirdie0

Feb 19, 2020
From time to time (very seldom) I do have same issue with my 3950x.

Mostly I simply restart the PC, and problem gone for a week or two.

It has something to do with powersaving-plans. Simply choose another one and the problem should be gone. Then simply switch back to the plan you are using.

I tried it, and it worked. But as I wrote, a simple restart is fast and solves the problem,too.