What video card to push a 4K display? Windows performance only, no games.

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Just purchased a Seiki 39" 4K LED displays. My existing video card was garbage, so after a bit of research I purchased an EVGA GTX 650 card with 1GB RAM. I don't really play any games at all, just interested in the best Windows desktop performance I can get at 4K resolution. I have an older generation i7 processor with 8GB RAM running a clean Windows 8.1 Pro system.

The 4K display is limited to 30Hz over HDMI at native resolution, so I know things might be a bit sluggish, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best Windows/desktop performance I can get. Things are not bad, but there's definitely some sluggish redrawing when resizing Outlook (for example).

Will the GTX 650 give me the best Windows desktop performance I can expect, or would going with a higher-end GPU produce better results?

Thanks in advance!

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I am not sure 4K is ready for prime time. I just put together a system with an i3 4330 and the motherboard is suppose to be capable of a 4k video through integrated Intel HD 4600. Part of the problem is that the Monitors and TV's have to be a lot more advanced to use 4K at high resolutions Smoothly. This is just based on a couple of reviews I have seen. So is it a video card problem or really a 4k monitor/TV problem?

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
from what i understand it is the connections not the tv or computer that limits 4k. you have to make sure that your tv has the right hdmi or dvi or displayport connections. any displayport will likely run 4k though but because it is an open standard and competing against hdmi. dual link dvi can run 4k but not sure. only some hdmi connections can run 4k. you have to have the right connection on your video card or motherboard, the right cable, and the right connection on your tv. this is why it is so hard to run 4k. and that the connections today atleast hdmi severly limit framerate while playing 4k

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
I personally think it is fine and that the slow/sluggishness is just from going from the standard 60HZ to 30HZ.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Radeon HD 6450, or maybe a Geforce GT 620? For non-gaming, a GTX 650 is a high-end GPU!

The connector specs supported are what matter. If the monitor can't do 60Hz over HDMI, then you'll need it to do it over DP, generally. 2xDL-DVI can do it, but support varies by card and monitor. If your display doesn't support DP, but is high resolution, you got a TV, not a monitor, and it might not support 60Hz at all. TVs also tend to have a habit of having high input lag, as they are set up to perform lots of DSP work on non-native-res incoming signals.

Last edited:

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks guys!

I'm quite satisfied so far and just want to run it a bit longer before I fully commit. Once I'm certain I will order another display for my office and want to make sure I shouldn't go with a higher-end card (because I'll need one there as well). Sounds like the card I have is more than sufficient, just wanted to be sure.

Connection is mini-HDMI to HDMI on the TV. HDMI is currently limited to 30Hz at 4K resolutions, will stay that way until HDMI 2.0 is released. There are rumors of a possible firmware update for this TV once HDMI 2.0 is released, but I'm not counting on it.

This is quite an amazing display for $400! And it doesn't look like there will be anything touching it at that price for quite some time.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Even IGP if 4K is supported would give you want you desire.

Yeah, IGP is really all you need for basic windows stuff. Having used HD4xxx / 5xxx extensively on even portables with retina resolutions, there is never any lag per se. I do believe only Haswell supports 4k resolution with IGP, but I could be wrong. You don't necessarily need a dGPU unless you want to do more than basic Windows stuff.

Also, Haswell does support displayport with surround, so 4k 60hz should work. Although the display you're purchasing will not support higher than 30hz - that to me would be a deal breaker even for just using Windows. 30hz is very , very noticeable and sluggish. Perhaps you'll be okay with it, though.

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, IGP is really all you need for basic windows stuff.

I know traditionally it is, but wasn't sure about running at 4K resolutions - it's a lot of pixels to push!

that to me would be a deal breaker even for just using Windows. 30hz is very , very noticeable and sluggish. Perhaps you'll be okay with it, though.

It's not bad IMO, but wanted to be sure I couldn't make it a bit better with a higher-end card. For the price of this display in my situation it's well worth it. When 60Hz-capable displays come at similar prices I can always replace this and use it as a TV.

Thanks

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
Well you could always go with 2 dual Hdmi plugged into the video card if you choose a radeon r9. It will take that tv and merge it into one display.

There's reports of Input lag from the mouse but that's a given.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I know traditionally it is, but wasn't sure about running at 4K resolutions - it's a lot of pixels to push!
Business machines are now commonly coming with 2 DPs on the IO plates. So, PCs like Optiplexes can do 2 4k monitors at 60Hz with no added video card.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I have seen a 7970 struggle to push the pixels on a 3x eyefinity setup, so while I agree that the specification says that the IGP can push 4k I think it unlikely it actually can without a noticable latency and rendering frame rate below the refresh of the monitor.

On my 5970 and on the 7970's I had to increase the base power saving clock speed to make eyefinity resolutions work (roughly 3k). The Nvidia 680's handled it better but they also switched clock speed more readily, and they did have noticable load in Windows with basic activities like dragging a Window across the screen.

It would be nice if an Intel IGP can do it, but I haven't had much luck convincing a review site to show the problems with Windows performance as its not a game so its rather under reported. I hope it works well but I doubt it.