What type of tree is this?

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
We moved into our house 2 months ago. Now that all of the trees are are starting to bloom we are trying to figure out what is in our yard. Does any body know what tree this is? I assume it is some type of fruit.

IMG_2083-1.jpg

IMG_2084-1.jpg

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks guys! My wife was happy to hear that. Her mom makes fig cookies that she really likes.

I was so impressed with your quick response I was going to ask what type of tree this is. Note the second fig tree in the background

IMG_2087-1.jpg

Then I saw that there is a tag on the tree that tells what it is.

View attachment 17894IMG_2086-1.jpg

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Thanks guys! My wife was happy to hear that. Her mom makes fig cookies that she really likes.

I was so impressed with your quick response I was going to ask what type of tree this is. Note the second fig tree in the background

View attachment 17892

Then I saw that there is a tag on the tree that tells what it is.

View attachment 17894
I would have had no idea what that one was so I'm glad you didn't ask! :)

Reactions: Stopsignhank

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
redbuds are native in my area here in Ontario, Canada. I believe we are the northern tip of it's range.

Last edited:

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
That must look cool. We would definitely be on the southern range. I am near Los Angeles.

Nov 17, 2019
I've got Redbuds everywhere. They grow wild ... like weeds. The woods are filled with them. But I wasn't sure that was it along side a Fig.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
That fig tree need a good pruning. You'll get a lot more fruits out of it if you trim it way back when it goes dormant.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Just be careful. Yellow Jackets and Wasps love figs too.

My daughter read about the wasp thing. I don't eat them so I don't care, but sure seems like a weird thing to me. Both trees are a good distance from the house, so hopefully they stay away from us

That is a mys -tree to me?

Reminds me, I love the Myth Adventures books.

That fig tree need a good pruning. You'll get a lot more fruits out of it if you trim it way back when it goes dormant.

That tree has been trimmed. The other one has been hacked down pretty good. Will have to watch it this summer and see what it does.

There are other trees that I don't know what they are, but they don't have the fruits hanging off them like this one. Now need to get an avacado and lemon tree. It is fun having an acre of land.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
That is a mys -tree to me? You can tell the gender? I didn't think the photo was that detailed.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Reminds me, I love the Myth Adventures books.

Oh man, I loved those. I guess teh last one I read was the 1990 one--I remember the cover and buying it in the original large format version when it was released.

...I also recall how my 11 year-old self would call the same bookstore, every fricking day, for maybe a month or two to ask when it would be in stock. They probably hated me....but damn, they should have given me a release date. I used to do the same thing with Nintendo and gameboy games, too

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Oh man, I loved those. I guess teh last one I read was the 1990 one--I remember the cover and buying it in the original large format version when it was released.

...I also recall how my 11 year-old self would call the same bookstore, every fricking day, for maybe a month or two to ask when it would be in stock. They probably hated me....but damn, they should have given me a release date. I used to do the same thing with Nintendo and gameboy games, too
I do too!! hahahahah I did the same thing when I was 11 yrs old.....rofl...small world!! That back when a book was how we would entertain ourselves!!

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Well well well. We have a second fig tree in our yard, kind of near the house. It is pretty large and would be perfect if we liked figs. For every leaf there is a fig growing right near the leaf. We tried them and they are OK, although look pretty gross inside.

The problem is the bees. The fruit are ripening and the bees have found them. There are a couple of figs on the tree that you can see more bees than fig. I don't mind bees, but my daughter is scared of everything so screams when she sees a bee. My wife was OK but got stung going in the pool last week so now she does not like bees either. Now I have to try and trim this tree while bees a buzzing. Have to be careful where I reach because there might be a ripe fig under that leaf with 25 bees on it. Also figs have fallen on the ground so I am trying not to step on a bee. Of course I am not smart enough to wear shoes while I was out there.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well well well. We have a second fig tree in our yard, kind of near the house. It is pretty large and would be perfect if we liked figs. For every leaf there is a fig growing right near the leaf. We tried them and they are OK, although look pretty gross inside.

The problem is the bees. The fruit are ripening and the bees have found them. There are a couple of figs on the tree that you can see more bees than fig. I don't mind bees, but my daughter is scared of everything so screams when she sees a bee. My wife was OK but got stung going in the pool last week so now she does not like bees either. Now I have to try and trim this tree while bees a buzzing. Have to be careful where I reach because there might be a ripe fig under that leaf with 25 bees on it. Also figs have fallen on the ground so I am trying not to step on a bee. Of course I am not smart enough to wear shoes while I was out there.

you sure it's the bees that are your problem? there are various species of nematodes that are particularly specific to species of fig trees. ....oh, if only you had a ~100x capable microscope in your house to see the, and I quote from a friend of mine and one of his excellent presentations: "blood orgy of nematode sex that goes on in every individual fig fruit."

You'd never eat another fig again. :D

CrawlingCelegans.gif

Last edited:

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
you sure it's the bees that are your problem? there are various species of nematodes that are particularly specific to species of fig trees. ....oh, if only you had a ~100x capable microscope in your house to see the, and I quote from a friend of mine and one of his excellent presentations: "blood orgy of nematode sex that goes on in every individual fig fruit."

CrawlingCelegans.gif
Eh, I boil the figs in water with salt & lemon juice then leave them in the sun to dry. Finish it off by baking them in the oven. Dried figs are quite delicious. There are worst things we consume every day without knowing it.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014

CrawlingCelegans.gif
Where is the scream in horror and run away smiley face?